It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:48 pm 

Well, if it was just a head gasket, I might be inclined to work on it. However, I went and took a look at it today, and the reason the head gasket is blown is because the head is warped. And lord knows what damage lurks beneath. I got my money's worth and then some out of her, so I'm happy in that department.

Personally, I love my Suby. However, I am in the beginning of a work rotation, which means for the nex 2 (more) weeks, my time is not mine. Matter of fact, I'm headed on a 4 hour road trip to cover a military flight tomorrow and again on Sunday. After working the flights here.

My wife doesn't love my Suby and is using this as an excuse to get herself a new car. I get her Nissan Maxima, which, while a nice car, has no cargo room.

Methinks I shall be looking to trade it in a few months for something more suitable.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:40 am 

I love my WRX :D

It has the STi upgrade so it gets me from 0-62 in 5.5secs and its virtually impossible to get the thing to lose traction. Never had a single mechanical problem with it.

Heres some pics of my baby:

As others have said, its good in snow, ice and dirt tracks but I wouldnt go truly off road with it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:41 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I'd love a Subaru, but until they make diesel minivan they're going to have to do without my custom :(

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:02 pm 

Here's a good write-up and video of the new Forester. They say that they ran out of tire way before they ran out of off road-ability with it. Looks like it has all the capability of a standard Samurai.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:57 am 

The axle in my 2000 Forester broke yesterday evening. It's in the shop today, and it's only going to cost $185 in parts and labor. I probably could have done it myself, but we are a one-car family and I didn't want to have the car up on blocks for a month. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:29 pm 

my 04 Impreza 2.5RS failed at snow, even a little snow. Everything dents it, EVERYTHING! I ended up having a 2mpr slide backwards down a guard rail for about 150 feet!. I couldn't get fixed it and sell it quick enough.

"When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side" -ancient Chinese proverb

C.E.R.T.|EMMCOM|AID & CPR|KE7AYF|G27|G35|AR|12Ga|LX2|Benchmade|4x4| And a bad attitude...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:25 am 

TheDavid wrote:
my 04 Impreza 2.5RS failed at snow, even a little snow. .... I ended up having a 2mpr slide backwards down a guard rail for about 150 feet!.

If you were going backwards with just snow (not ice) on the road, you had a serious tire issue. Bald summer tires?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:09 am 

guy1138 wrote:
TheDavid wrote:
my 04 Impreza 2.5RS failed at snow, even a little snow. .... I ended up having a 2mpr slide backwards down a guard rail for about 150 feet!.

If you were going backwards with just snow (not ice) on the road, you had a serious tire issue. Bald summer tires?

+1 I think this is driver fail, not car fail.

Ive had my car up to the frame in snow and crawled right out of it. Ive never had issue in the snow that was not caused by shitty tires. Putting this car on snow tires is like giving Mike Tyson a healthy dose of PCP and saying GO GET EM TIGER!

As for the denting, this is an issue. The skin on the impreza is thin. They did this to shave some weight off of an overall tubby car. Ive got dents all over mine, some from leaning in the wrong place, some from doors, some from other cars. You just get used to it. They aren't dents, they are battle scars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:09 pm 

Seriously people, if you consider yourselves to be prepared and live in an are with yearly snowfall - get some winter tires!

Seriously. Using "all season tires" on snow is like using a shotgun shell and a hammer to hunt rabbits - in theory it's kind of like how it's done but you'll just end up hurting yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:27 am 

Came across these pictures not to long ago, thought they were bad ass so I figured I would show them off here.

I would question the reliability just because of the angle of the half shafts at that ride height, but it's still a bad ass Subaru.

And I still have my Subaru, but I bought a Jeep and have been pretty obsessed with it lately, so the Suby has been getting neglected. Probably selling it soon only because I hate paying for something I dont really drive.

Oh and I never had any issues in the snow with my Subaru with all season Michelin Pilot Sport Exalto's. Actually, I was out in every single storm we had last year playing around, I would get very excited every time I heard it was going to snow and would drive around in it for hours.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:45 am 

Little economy car faithfully serves-
Hard and snowy road hold no fear-
you can afford to fuel-

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:36 pm 

when lifted properly on the older cars the CV's will last, ive built mine about a year ago now and have beat the crap out of it since. ive only busted 1 rear CV and thats because i was doing doughnuts on tarmac with a welded rear diff.

here is mine. and yes it is my BOV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sz5mpicl4Y&feature=channel_page

Quote:
If Ben Franklin and TJ had some 550 there is no telling how awesome America would be right now.

Quote:
but Russian strippers are pretty cheap and easy to order on the internet. Just check gunbroker.com or m1surplus.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:18 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Quick_Draw_McGraw, that car is so badass. I'm jealous.

I just saw a 2002 wrx wagon with a 2" lift or so the other day. First one I've ever seen. Any idea who makes that? Or was it a custom job?

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:17 pm 

I have the biggest goddamn boner for lifted GL wagons but I'm having trouble justifying one versus an XJ. I assume they're cheaper than dirt out west but what other advantage does the Sube offer? I've looked into getting ea81s shipped to the midwest but that's generally more than the cost of the car itself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:24 am 

PistolPete wrote:
Quick_Draw_McGraw, that car is so badass. I'm jealous.

I just saw a 2002 wrx wagon with a 2" lift or so the other day. First one I've ever seen. Any idea who makes that? Or was it a custom job?

nope sounds like Jackson Rally... they make a 2inch kit, but also you can fit on Forester/Outback struts to lift it up as well.

Quote:
If Ben Franklin and TJ had some 550 there is no telling how awesome America would be right now.

Quote:
but Russian strippers are pretty cheap and easy to order on the internet. Just check gunbroker.com or m1surplus.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:27 am 

nomoneysonny wrote:
I have the biggest goddamn boner for lifted GL wagons but I'm having trouble justifying one versus an XJ. I assume they're cheaper than dirt out west but what other advantage does the Sube offer? I've looked into getting ea81s shipped to the midwest but that's generally more than the cost of the car itself.

the subaru is a lot lighter, cheaper, but mostly its more of a looks thing. everywhere i go in it i have people ask about it. everyone loves it.

i do go on a few trail rides at the local off road parks and have made it through some crazy shit that i didn't think i could do in it.

if you have the money build a jeep. that will be my next build when i wreck/sell this wagon.

the subaru's are fun but they are limited on suspension flex, gear ratio's, tire size, etc compared to a jeep or yota.

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:46 pm 

Thoughts on a Subaru? Great cars. I sold mine to a rich kid in Dallas and have regreted it ever since. His mom and dad were going through a divorce and were fighting for his "love", I assumed, and she won. She basically came to me with a blank check and said that her son had to have my car and SHE had to buy it. I put a lot of money into it and it was red, yeah, red.
When I win the lottery I will build one better, so yes you should get a Suby.

I'm here to generally help you out but I do have the power to make your day shit. If you're nice to me, I'm nice to you. Comply with my simple and straight forward requests and everything goes smoothly...don't and it doesn't go smoothly. Thats it.

That sounds about right, ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:59 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Please excuse the thread necro :)
sheddi wrote:
I'd love a Subaru, but until they make diesel minivan they're going to have to do without my custom :(

Did I really write that? :lol:

OK, circumstances change, my kids started growing up (and needing less stuff) and four years later in 2013 I bought a 2003 Outback; 2.5-litre n/a EJ251 and five-speed manual TY254.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107859&p=2423230#p2423230

It's never let me down but at the same time it's not been the most reliable of vehicles. Aside from service parts (and I count tyres, exhausts and suspension bushes as service parts) I've needed a catalyst and lambda sensors, a flywheel and clutch, and now a transmission (I probably only need a front differential but, here at least, it's cheaper to buy & fit a used transmission).

I paid £3000 (about $4500) for the car and have spent almost as much again on parts & labour.

But I still love the car :) When the transmission started playing up I found myself looking at what's available on the market around me. I was drawn straight back to looking at Subarus (although Volvo XC70s also caught my eye) but on the principle of "better the devil you know" I'm fixing my Outback rather than buying another 8-to-10-year-old car with all its unknown faults. I'm planning to keep it until it's beyond economic repair.

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:07 pm 

I still have my Subaru Legacy Outback. It has over 300k miles on it. I have used it to pull a full-sized truck (2 wheel drive) when it was stuck in the mud. I pull a utility trailer with it. It is a wagon, and it can haul a lot of gear, pets, etc. It is my commuter vehicle and always has a bob in it for issues on the road and any problems getting home.

For a major bug out situation where we need to evacuate the entire mini-farm, we have a large stock trailer and a 4x4 Suburban, also always with a bob in it. Obviously the Subaru isn't up to hauling horses and livestock.

But I am a huge fan of the Subaru. It lasts and lasts. It is very good in nasty weather. It has literally saved my life by helping me maneuver out of the way of an out-of-control semi-truck that went sailing off the Interstate before flipping over in a ditch. Just for that one event, I am so glad I have it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm probably gonna buy a Subaru to drive the Al-Can highway this winter. We'll see how that goes.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 pm 

There is currently a class-action lawsuit against Subaru because of an oil consumption issue with some recent years and models. Subaru has acknowledged a problem (faulty piston rings seems to be a culprit) and is offering a short-block rebuild to affected customers. However, if you go on the Subaru forums, the problem seems more widespread than Subaru is acknowledging. My mechanic, who I trust, has said he's seeing a lot of Subaru's in his shop due to excessive oil consumption and premature engine wear. Do your research, and Caveat Emptor.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:01 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

absinthe beginner wrote:
There is currently a class-action lawsuit against Subaru because of an oil consumption issue with some recent years and models. Subaru has acknowledged a problem (faulty piston rings seems to be a culprit) and is offering a short-block rebuild to affected customers. However, if you go on the Subaru forums, the problem seems more widespread than Subaru is acknowledging. My mechanic, who I trust, has said he's seeing a lot of Subaru's in his shop due to excessive oil consumption and premature engine wear. Do your research, and Caveat Emptor.

I always just assumed that was a quirk of sideways engines, just like the old BMW motorcycles...

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:28 pm 

My 2000 Forester is going in the shop for major surgery: it has either a blown head gasket or a cracked block, I think (was leaking oil and water when I stopped driving it). It's been sitting two years, so who knows what will happen. But I'd rather get a rebuild than buy a new used car.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 pm 

My roommate has a 2002 Subaru Sport with 250k miles on it. He blew a headgasket at like 220 or so and had it rebuild along with the heads. The thing runs like a champ, Might need a low end rebuild soon but really if he does that the heads have like 30k on them and the bottom end will be fresh. It'll probably run for another 200k after that.

I will always say get a Subaru if you can afford one. They are great beasts to have around.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...