It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thouhgts on a subaru???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:19 pm 

Their small and nimble with the all-wheel drive, and get good MPG but the clearance is kinda low. But i've heard that outbacks and forresters do good on rough terrain if the clearance isn't an issue? Any thoughts. Would they make a good BOV?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:29 pm 

Well, Im not a huge fan of consumer reports, but if it means anything to you, Subaru seems to be the only car company where all their vehicles got rated excellent. I like them, especially the STI because I am young and dumb. Had an outback some years back, good car, comfy, but no power. That has been remedied in the newer models.

I guess my suggestion is if you are going to get one, get a new one, dont be cheap and buy an older model. The new ones have basically everything for everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:54 pm 

in socal i think you could bug out with just about anything. You might not even need 4WD. Things are a bit different here in WI where there's a terrible amount of snow and anything off road involves large rocks and trees. I tend to think of a BOV as something that is capable of pushing it's way thru a roadblock, or surviving a few minor collisions and continuing to operate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 am 

I owned a Subaru SVX for a while and loved it. Plenty of power, fast, and the AWD was unbeatable in bad weather. Ground clearance sucked.

Of the Subarus out there, the Forrester seems to be the most capable as a BOV. The L.L. Bean edition is rated as having a ground clearance of 8.1", the XT Limited has 7.9". To put that in context, a stock 99 Jeep Cherokee has 10.5" of ground clearance.

I wouldn't want to take the Forrester on truly rough terrain, but broken roads and the fallout from a break down it should be more than capably. It would also provide reasonable gas mileage to get you out of town and enough speed to put some miles behind you once you get on the highways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:20 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've owned a couple of Subaru wagons over the years, starting back in the 1980s...my experience with them has been the same in that they ran very well for me until they topped 100,000 miles, and then everything started going wrong in expensive ways...

YMMV...

nfa

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:36 am 

Love me some Subaru. HOWEVER note that the owners manuals say "all ROAD vehicle" not "all TERRAIN vehicle". My old '70s wagons, and my mom's '05 Forester do great on snow, ice, gravel, roughish roads, etc... but I'm not sure I'd wanna do a lot of fire trails, woods bombing, or hill climbing with 'em.

If you want a daily driver that'll get you through 90% of what might get thrown at you, won't break down, and gets decent mileage, get a Subaru. If you want something you can learn to fix yourself and will take that last 10%, maybe not a Subaru. I was also a bit disapointed with the Forester's cargo capacity, I like to bring lots of gear.

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:29 pm 
BANNED

They will go places that a passenger car won't easily go

But they are not a truck by any stretch

In Boulder county I think you have to be a lesbian to own one

Your laws may differ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:36 pm 

I thought lesbians in Boulder were required to drive slugbugs?

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:47 pm 

Some of the older models had a low range transfer case. That would be the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:46 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I've got an sti, and I'm pretty happy with it. I don't put a ton of miles on it, so I can't speak to longevity. Their awd system in the car is truly amazing, it's nearly impossible to break traction, even on bullshit roads.

It's not the vehicle if I'd take to bug-out, though. I've got a 4wd that offers a lot more room, more ground clearance, and tires with off-road traction.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:17 pm 

I've got a Legacy Station Wagon. 1990, 208,000 and still going strong. Okay, maybe not so strong, but still going. Original engine and tranny, no major work done to either. Bought it 5 and a half years ago of Craigslist, more than got my money's worth out of it. Needs new front shocks, and some body work. Mostly light rust except for one hole in a quarter panel. Got the Chilton and Haynes manual and so afar haven't run into anything I couldn't fix if it weren't for lack of tools. So far, I haven't run into that problem.

But, my daughter wants me to buy a Jeep. She wants a convertible and not just any old ragtop, it has to be a Jeep (she turns 6 next month). Otherwise, I'm keeping the Scooby until it finally and irreversibly dies on me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:31 pm 

I like them. I've been driving one since 1984. They are reliable and fairly easy to work on. Pop the hood on one a take a look. Bought this one 18 months ago on a trip to the lower 48. Driven from Alaska to the outside twice now. Winter and summer trip. Averaged about 30 mpg on those trips. The Outbacks have more interior room and ground clearance than the Foresters. I'm a tight wad and slept in the back of mine on my last trip. Plus the Outbacks are built in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I had a forester for years until I traded it in for an Element. Now I miss it. That thing handled like a sports car, and I took it everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:50 pm 

I am definitely Team Subaru. I would like a Forester (or the STi, but the Forester is more versatile). I have a 2008 Impreza. You can get lift kits for them, nothing too ridiculous but lifting it a few inches would probably be fine. I need to get better tires for my Impreza, but even the stock tires are good in the snow. For ice, you have to have studded tires.

I would be pretty leery of taking any passenger car offroading. I don't know what your eventual plans are for your vehicle, but if you want offroading, mega ground clearance and 18" or bigger rims or ginormous tires...just get a truck. When I move back to Alaska, despite my love of Subarus, I will probably just get a truck.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:47 am 

posie wrote:
I need to get better tires for my Impreza, but even the stock tires are good in the snow. For ice, you have to have studded tires.

Chains work reasonably well on the 4wd passenger cars these days, not as well as proper ice tyres, but better than slicks. :)

mr. right-wing wrote:
I like them, especially the STI because I am young and dumb. Had an outback some years back, good car, comfy, but no power. That has been remedied in the newer models.

Hehe, the lack of power certainly has been remedied in the STI models. :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:24 am 

I have a 2000 Forester I bought used with 80k miles on it. It has a few problems, like the check engine light staying on lately and some issues with the shift lock. But other than that, it runs like a champ, has plenty power, and handles well in bad weather.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:10 pm 

I have had a Forester for a few years now. I have taken it on many fire roads in my area and it does just fine. It's not a rock crawler by any strech but for the 90% it's fine. I have a trailer hitch and tow a flat bed trailer on dump runs. I plan on bugging out with the sube and a trailer full of supplies.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:25 am 

I drive a 1987 GL WAgon. It has hi and low range 4WD. It does not have much power but, I would not trade anything for it. It just keeps going. It is very easy to work on, and you don't have to do that very often.
www.ultimatesubaru.org
This site will tell you a lot more.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:07 am 

The car I drive most often (my mom's car) is a 1997 Subaru legacy 5-speed with 175k miles on it, thers a lot of good and a lot of bad.

The Good-
-Decent fuel economy when you drive it GENTLY...key word there
-Handles great in the snow, the all wheel drive works, and it has a low center of gravity so it's not that tippy
-A ton of cargo space. It's very long, so you can fit a lot in there.

The Bad-
-Abysmal fuel economy when you drive even the least bit aggressively...See I live in greater Boston, and you can't dick around on the roads here. You have to accelerate hard and fast. When I'm doing a lot of highway cruising, keeping it at 65-70, and doing stop-and go on rout 9, I average in the low twenties. My mom gets more like high twenties, but she drives it at like 50mph, and doesn't accelerate at all (takes forever to find a big enough gap to move into)
-Weak power. At 60 mph I'm usually running 2,500 RPM, and 3,000 RPM at 70. If you want to move at all you have to rev the engine up to around 2,000 RPM before you release the clutch all the way, first gear is basically useless. The other thing is the engine starts complaining at around 2,000 RPM, which is not good. I don't mean just making noise, but you can like smell the oil burning and it sounds like it wants to kill itself. It idles really low, which sucks for stop and go traffic.
-Weird parts. See, old Subarus have a lot of parts on them that just go, and our mechanic dosn't even know why they are there, and they are expensive to replace. I'm not just talking labor, the parts themselves are not cheap at all. But without these weird random little parts, the engine runs like crap. It makes the fuel economy terrible, and the acceleration worse than I described above.
-Long shift throw...just my personal preference, but the gear selector has a long throw and it feels like your driving a truck, I personally like short, swift, clicky gear selectors...but thats all personal preference.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:26 pm 

A Subi with snowchains will get you where you need to go until the snow gets to about 12".

Everyone who I know who has one loves theirs. Aside from having almost twice the drivetrain parts to go wrong, I can't see any reason not to own one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:52 pm 

Someone I know has an Outback, and I drive it all the time and I love it! It's quiet, tons of storage, extremely responsive with braking and steering, really decent gas mileage, and pretty comfortable seating (not REALLY comfortable, but it'll do). Plenty of leg room in the back, providing the person in front of you isn't long legged. I'm tall, so the back seat isn't my favorite place, but it's plenty roomy back there for short trips or naps during long trips.

Ground clearance isn't too bad. I wouldn't go flying over a speed bump, though.

If I had to get a Subaru, I'd probably get a Forrester because it's more compact, more off the ground, and more like a small SUV wagon than the Outback.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:19 pm 

ZedsDeadBaby wrote:
in socal i think you could bug out with just about anything. You might not even need 4WD. Things are a bit different here in WI where there's a terrible amount of snow and anything off road involves large rocks and trees. I tend to think of a BOV as something that is capable of pushing it's way thru a roadblock, or surviving a few minor collisions and continuing to operate.

where the hell is GWN?

I wouldn't off road without a dirt bike in this hell hole.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:27 pm 

back in the day i had an 81' suby GL 2 door 4x4, that thing was a scream. like a go-cart with a body on snow and ice, loved it. tryed to find one in the trade paper the past few months, but no luck, would love to have another as a back up car.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:11 am 

I've got a WRX wagon and love it. Fast, great handling, plenty of room for gear. Ground clearance is too low for any roads that are TOO torn up, but maintained fire trails are OK. I know they kick ass in Rally Racing though, so the aftermarket is out there to make them more capable off -road.