A reasonably priced BOV.

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

A reasonably priced BOV.

Post by moab » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:05 pm

I think I accidently found a great BOV alternative for a very reasonable price.

I haven't looked at used 4x4 vehicles in a while. Maybe a year or so. Long story short. My mother totalled her Honda last week. So I was tasked with finding her a replacement vehicle for less than 6k. Something that rode higher in traffic. As she felt that contributed to her accident. And that could take on snowy mountain passes in WA. As she travels across them visiting family several times a year.

Along my search I came across several Nissan Pathfinders in the newer style. Like 2005 onward. (See pic of it below.) I'm not going to debate the reliability of these. As there isn't a lot of info out there. And they aren't the perfect BOV. And I only had 6k to work with. Which had to include tax, license, smog and any repairs.

But for $5000 you'd be hard pressed to find anything better in a large SUV with 4 wheel drive. Albeit the gas mileage isn't that great at 17 city and 23 highway. But that's as good or better than a Tahoe or Suburban. Which the Pathfinder is inbetween size wise.

But long story short. I ended up finding several PAthfinders with decent miles and incredible upkeep on their carfax reports. I found one for her for 5k. And it's in immaculate condition. Lower than average miles. And a previous owner that was addicted to taking it to the dealership for service. Literally pages of oil changes and other upkeep on the vehicle. Was never in an accident. Never salvaged. The first owner was a 3 year lease. The second owner had it for over 11 years. And babied the hell out of it.

All I could think is - man these would make a great stand alone BOV for only 5k. Its 4 wheel drive. Has huge cargo space. You could easily sleep in it. Has off road tires and good aftermarket aluminum rims. For a $5000 like new vehicle for a BOV it's not bad. I'd be hard pressed to find another 4x4 this nice, with these amenities, and for such a low price. My Jeep TJ cost me 7k. And it's not a great BOV because of its size. And a lot older. I'm pretty impressed with this SUV for $5000. And for a cheaper BOV that you could even set up as a stand alone spare vehicle (it's only 5k. A 4runner or something else would cost you WAYYYYY more.) it's pretty decent. I had it gone thru at the dealership and it came back with a bad headlight bulb. A twenty dollar fix. The guy wanted 6k. I talked him down to 5k. However I found several Pathfinders that they were also asking 6k for with similar quality. That I'm sure could be talked down to $5000-$5500.

Here's a pic of it. Leather interior and all extras. Fulltime AWD and 4L IIRC. My mothers overjoyed. But I think I'd love one of these as my full time BOV.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Re: A reasonably priced BOV.

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:33 pm

The Pathfinder is a great vehicle. The same year model crew cab Frontier will likely be cheaper and have more cargo/ towing capacity and better off road capability. The Pathfinder will be more comfortable and a nicer daily driver.

The FIL had a 2007 about 10 years ago and he was happy with it. They went on numerous trips with it and it never failed him.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:53 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:33 pm
The Pathfinder is a great vehicle. The same year model crew cab Frontier will likely be cheaper and have more cargo/ towing capacity and better off road capability. The Pathfinder will be more comfortable and a nicer daily driver.

The FIL had a 2007 about 10 years ago and he was happy with it. They went on numerous trips with it and it never failed him.
That's funny. My mother is my father's first wife. She now has a Pathfinder. My father's third and last wife has a Frontier. Although a bit older. They both get along great. My mother even invites her over for sunday dinner.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:46 am

Great vehicles. I assume since it's the full time 4wd that it's a V8?

I've said it on here before, but if it's the V6, check the radiator/transmission class action suit that should have been a recall. 2005-2010 or 2011 models of frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra.

Basically, a plastic tube can break and detonate a tranny. There are cheap work around of you catch it, if not it requires a new transmission.

Happened to my parents.

Other than that, it's in my top 5 favorite platforms.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:45 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:46 am

I've said it on here before, but if it's the V6, check the radiator/transmission class action suit that should have been a recall. 2005-2010 or 2011 models of frontier, Pathfinder, Xterra.

Basically, a plastic tube can break and detonate a tranny. There are cheap work around of you catch it, if not it requires a new transmission.

Happened to my parents.

Thank you for that information. I will definitely look into that trans fix.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:52 am

Congrats. :)

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:45 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:46 am

Happened to my parents.

I second this. My FIL gave us his '05 Pathfinder at 95k miles. Tranny blew at 103k miles. Wasn't even on my radar as it was a gift and I didn't do any actual research prior to receiving it. There's a bunch of other stuff including the guides for belts made out of thin plastic and they wear down over time. Lots of labor cost to open it all up, pick out the plastic pieces and reinstall new guides.

Return to “Transportation”