EMP car?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: EMP car?

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:34 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:21 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:16 pm

It is NOLA, I can't believe they waited until after an emergency to jack your stuff.
It is not that they waited; it is just that I normally do not drive around with 55 gallon drums of diesel.
The opportunity did not present itself earlier.
That is advertising like walking around with your pants below your butt crack. No surprise they came by and propositioned you.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

eugene

Post by eugene » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Modern electronic components have a lot of protection. Take an early transistor from the 70's, it was just a single transistor in the package. Buy a transistor today and inside the package the transistor is in the middle and around it are over voltage, short circuit, thermal, surge, etc protection. Then all the boards have protection for the inputs.

When I was a kid I remember watching an earthquake disaster movie on TV and the police tried to take a guys vehicle and couldn't drive it because it had some sort of customized transmission so they had to let him drive. While it was probably some sort of made up hollywood tech you could now a days be likely to keep your vehicle if it had a manual transmission. Wife leases a 2018 or 2019 I can't remember which and it had a 9 speed auto and it annoys me because it seems like its constantly shifting and always when I don't want it to. If I try to put it in manual mode it can still take a couple seconds to shift after I tell it to so its kind of useless. So I've already decided if I ever do buy another vehicle it will be a manual again.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:34 pm
raptor wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:21 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:16 pm

It is NOLA, I can't believe they waited until after an emergency to jack your stuff.
It is not that they waited; it is just that I normally do not drive around with 55 gallon drums of diesel.
The opportunity did not present itself earlier.
That is advertising like walking around with your pants below your butt crack. No surprise they came by and propositioned you.
They did not have to go far at all. In fact I "delivered" it. They are not that ambitious. They were opportunists.
I had to go through their check point and lost one drum each time until I figured out that if carried only 1 drum at a time I could get away with a "fee" of a 5 gallon pail of gasoline that or a $100 bill.
eugene wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:52 pm

When I was a kid I remember watching an earthquake disaster movie on TV and the police tried to take a guys vehicle and couldn't drive it because it had some sort of customized transmission so they had to let him drive. While it was probably some sort of made up hollywood tech you could now a days be likely to keep your vehicle if it had a manual transmission.
I remember that movie.

That said today most people cannot drive a manual transmission car. (I can. That is all I drove for years) The common wisdom/joke is that a manual transmission is a great anti-theft device.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:30 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:16 pm
That said today most people cannot drive a manual transmission car. (I can. That is all I drove for years) The common wisdom/joke is that a manual transmission is a great anti-theft device.
The downside is that after they take it and you finally get it back you'll need a lot of those little green trees to get rid of the burnt clutch smell and the gear oil in your tranny will now be "extra crunchy"
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:50 pm

Yeah, I have a 5 speed and never worry about it getting stolen. This really only applies in the US but almost no one here of an age that typically steals cars can drive a manual. I lock my doors because I carry a pistol in the glove compartment but if I didn't I would leave it unlocked.You also get the added benefit of the rolling start. If your battery dies, or an emp goes off, or the lord of electricity is angered just open the door push the car and dump the clutch and you are good to go.I would also note early automatic transmissions could also be roll started if they are pre 1951 (some cheaper 1950's cars also) but not Cadillacs.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:02 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:25 pm
Abuhin wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:02 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:05 am
Yeah, it is actually written in to our emergency operations plan. I am supposed to GTA you, give a quick badge flip and announce in an authoritative voice "police emergency". While you are sorting out your feelings on this matter I'm peeling out with your ride. Just make sure you don't have any kids in the back seat.
Huh. Figures.
Anything in the policy on compensating the driver, or is that just something the lawyers & union will handle. You're probably not working where I live, but it'd be nice to get a vague idea in general.
If it is anything like the aftermath of Katrina do not hold your breath.

I had drums of diesel (yes plural) confiscated commandeered requisitioned (yeah thats the word) and the response to my question of "Do I get a receipt for that?" was a look that made me say "Nevermind!".
fuck

Return to “Transportation”