How to fix a radiator with a Leatherman.

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

How to fix a radiator with a Leatherman.

Post by moab » Tue May 28, 2019 6:43 pm

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: How to fix a radiator with a Leatherman.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed May 29, 2019 8:41 am

Copy the link from the YTube page and paste it into the post. Delete the S out of https in the video's link that you copied from the YTube page, then select the entire link and click the youtube button to surround the link with the youtube BBcode identifier.

with the S it looks like this [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1AZkfgfUvo[/youtube]
without the S the link itself should look like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1AZkfgfUvo to work, then surround it with the YouTube call by using the YTube button or manually typing the call around the link.

Once you do that it looks like this in the post.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

moab

Post by moab » Wed May 29, 2019 11:39 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:41 am
Copy the link from the YTube page and paste it into the post. Delete the S out of https in the video's link that you copied from the YTube page, then select the entire link and click the youtube button to surround the link with the youtube BBcode identifier.

with the S it looks like this [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1AZkfgfUvo[/youtube]
without the S the link itself should look like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1AZkfgfUvo to work, then surround it with the YouTube call by using the YTube button or manually typing the call around the link.

Once you do that it looks like this in the post.

Thanks bud. I gotta write that down. I knew that. But haven't posted a YT vid in so long. I'd forgotten. What did you think of the video?
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Apparently gerbers won't work for this scenario. :lol:

It is now part of my RAM and will be recalled whenever my radiator gets shot up. I think it can work at least temporarily. Wish they would have shown a view of the pipe getting rolled up in the video. One guy rolls, one guy watches, and the camera is on a tripod 10 ft away. :?

I always have a leatherman on me [Supertool 300] and have a pair of needle nose pliers in my VERK. Depending on the location of the hole, i think actually rolling those pipes could be very challenging with the radiator still installed. A stubby pair of needle nose might be better than full size. And a good flashlight and magnetic or clamp on mirror.

The part of radiators that has broken on the ones i've replaced is the plastic top or bottom. I've never gotten JB weld or any other to seal a crack in that part of the radiator enough to stop a leak permanently though. I actually have an old radiator in my garage I'm attempted to shoot up and try this out on. Only tempted though, get thee behind me... :twisted:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

gary83

Post by gary83 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:26 am

Very informative. Thanks for sharing the link.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:05 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

It is now part of my RAM and will be recalled whenever my radiator gets shot up. I think it can work at least temporarily. Wish they would have shown a view of the pipe getting rolled up in the video. One guy rolls, one guy watches, and the camera is on a tripod 10 ft away. :?

I always have a leatherman on me [Supertool 300] and have a pair of needle nose pliers in my VERK. Depending on the location of the hole, i think actually rolling those pipes could be very challenging with the radiator still installed. A stubby pair of needle nose might be better than full size. And a good flashlight and magnetic or clamp on mirror.

The part of radiators that has broken on the ones i've replaced is the plastic top or bottom. I've never gotten JB weld or any other to seal a crack in that part of the radiator enough to stop a leak permanently though. I actually have an old radiator in my garage I'm attempted to shoot up and try this out on. Only tempted though, get thee behind me... :twisted:
Use a soldering iron on the plastic parts to melt the cracks back together. Followed by J B weld . Results may vary
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:12 am

The old fashioned emergency way to plug a leak in the radiator was to take a raw egg and break it open into the radiator and then fill with water. It's a temporary fix of course but will get you home.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

moab

Post by moab » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:03 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

I agree with you on the shitty camera work. But if you rolled the tubes and jb welded them or epoxied them. You'd have a repair that could work indefinitely. Your not even reducing the cooling capacity by that much. Or at least until you found another car like yours to get a radiator from. I'm thinking about hunting or 4 wheeling in the backcountry. This could just get you back.

Return to “Transportation”