Ultimate off road vehicle?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Ultimate off road vehicle?

Post by flybynight » Mon May 06, 2019 6:30 pm

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Ultimate off road vehicle?

Post by MPMalloy » Mon May 06, 2019 6:49 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:30 pm
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... -long.html

pretty cool
Utility?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 am

While the ICS looks new and appears to be in excellent shape it is actually a 2010 model. If I had ten grand laying around burning a hole in my pocket I might put an offer on it.

The Sherp is indeed awesome but for $65K I can buy a whole fleet of used jeeps, or just a couple and trick them out off road style to perform about as well and be street legal. A lot of the Sherp's capability comes from it's unique tires. Put tires like that on a light Jeep and it will likely perform just as well. You can then swap them back for road tires and be street legal.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Wed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm

MPM did you notice in the description of the trailer that it is deplorable, not deployable?

The toy hauler has no title. That could be a problem.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed May 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:33 am
While the ICS looks new and appears to be in excellent shape it is actually a 2010 model. If I had ten grand laying around burning a hole in my pocket I might put an offer on it.

The Sherp is indeed awesome but for $65K I can buy a whole fleet of used jeeps, or just a couple and trick them out off road style to perform about as well and be street legal. A lot of the Sherp's capability comes from it's unique tires. Put tires like that on a light Jeep and it will likely perform just as well. You can then swap them back for road tires and be street legal.
You can put any tires you want on a jeep and it will still swim like a rock. I mean I like jeeps but that thing takes off road to a whole other level. It's not just off road it's off land.

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 22, 2019 6:54 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:17 pm
Stercutus wrote:

You can put any tires you want on a jeep and it will still swim like a rock. I mean I like jeeps but that thing takes off road to a whole other level. It's not just off road it's off land.

The internet is going to go ahead and disagree with you.

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYXwTnC2 ... e=youtu.be[/YouTube]

[YouTube]http://youtu.be/HYXwTnC2mmk[/YouTube]

I'll note that the Sherp has some advantage in the water but from a cost benefit analysis I can pick up 3 used jeeps and outfit them anyway I want for the same price and then drive home. Speed, power, parts avialbility, cost, etc, etc. All come out in favor of the Jeep.
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 22, 2019 6:57 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 2:59 pm
MPM did you notice in the description of the trailer that it is deplorable, not deployable? The toy hauler has no title. That could be a problem.
I am without excuse. :oops:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu May 23, 2019 5:30 am

Stercutus wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:54 pm
flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I'll note that the Sherp has some advantage in the water but from a cost benefit analysis I can pick up 3 used jeeps and outfit them anyway I want for the same price and then drive home. Speed, power, parts avialbility, cost, etc, etc. All come out in favor of the Jeep.
Yea no. First off the size tires needed to float a jeep put's it in the monster truck size class of vehicles. Maybe things are different in Bama but I just don't see monster trucks driving around on the highway. Secondly Putting that size tires on a jeep is a complete fabrication endeavor. You're going to have to fabricate everything to make it work. There is no kit that I know of. Which brings you to the reliability issue. The Sherp is designed to use those tires. That's factory stock . The jeep is not. The further from stock engineering you get , the less reliable the vehicle becomes. It's not like I'm going to buy a sherp or build a monster jeep but if I needed this type of vehicle capability , 65k buys me either a brand new Sherp that is factory engineered with ready to buy replacement parts. Or I can modify a used jeep with one up parts , that's still , a used Jeep.

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 am

You need to come down to Alabama some time.

If you think those Jeeps in the videos are monster trucks the chaos down here will shock you.
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Thu May 23, 2019 7:08 am

flybynight wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:30 am
Stercutus wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:54 pm
flybynight wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Yea no. First off the size tires needed to float a jeep put's it in the monster truck size class of vehicles. Maybe things are different in Bama but I just don't see monster trucks driving around on the highway. Secondly Putting that size tires on a jeep is a complete fabrication endeavor. You're going to have to fabricate everything to make it work. There is no kit that I know of. Which brings you to the reliability issue. The Sherp is designed to use those tires. That's factory stock . The jeep is not. The further from stock engineering you get , the less reliable the vehicle becomes. It's not like I'm going to buy a sherp or build a monster jeep but if I needed this type of vehicle capability , 65k buys me either a brand new Sherp that is factory engineered with ready to buy replacement parts. Or I can modify a used jeep with one up parts , that's still , a used Jeep.
I'm on the Jeep side. As a Jeep owner. ;) But having said that. The Sherp most certainly has a very different drive train. Meant to drive those size tires. A Jeep may do it. But it's not going to last like the Sherp will. Still can't see a world where I would need this. lol.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

gary83

Post by gary83 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:56 am

That's a wicked offroad vehicle! I'm sure those tires are too expensive.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Thu May 30, 2019 11:20 am

Yes there are some fun vehicles out there, personally I have been lusting after the Volvo c303 and c304 since discovering them.

But there is a reason I opted for my Honda CRV and Chevy Silverado instead of something more unique and exotic. While there are some amazing cool vehicles out there that make for some good fantasy fodder, how available are parts? In SHTF or PAW, would you have the ability to fix your unique vehicle if it broke down?

I choose my vehicles in part for the availability of parts. Both of mine are extremely common vehicles, which means parts are easy to find. The CRV even shares a lot of parts with the Honda Accord and Civic (other extremely common vehicles).

Another good thing about a common vehicle type, it doesn't stand out. It is a lot easier to blend in and grey man if you don't have a unique vehicle. If it is just another of 100's of similar ones round in your area.

But really I have said for a long time, in SHTF and PAW the ultimate vehicle would more likely be a mule or two and some pack goats.

Mules and goats can go where no motor vehicles can. They can get "fuel" from the land. In an emergency they are a food source. They can be an early alert to dangers. They can be a trusted friend to keep you company. I know it is fun to look at all sorts of cool military and specialized vehicles, but for me I am looking forward to the day when I get my mule and goats. I am just waiting to build the infrastructure up on my homestead to be ready to add livestock. Then I will be getting my ultimate BOV of Mule and goats.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

moab

Post by moab » Fri May 31, 2019 6:15 am

Sherp got some mentions at the Vehicles of Overland Expo West 2019. Jump to 8:56 for the Sherp video. But the entire video is a viewing of some of the best overland vehicles that were there. Pretty interesting. It's one of the biggest events in the US.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Transportation”