Difference in EU/US/Commercial fuel cans?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Difference in EU/US/Commercial fuel cans?

Post by moab » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:24 pm

Looking at EU fuel cans of the 20L variety. Compared to other US and commercial gas cans. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Which would you choose and why? I noticed at my local surplus store that the commercial variety comes with braces for mounting. Did not see the same for the EU 20L variety. But not sure if those are available elsewhere or that important.

Any help greatly appreciated. I'd like to buy 4 of them for bug in and bug out. At this point they would go inside my Yukon XL as I have no way of mounting them externally. If anything they would get tied down on a roof rack. Once I have something like that installed.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Difference in EU/US/Commercial fuel cans?

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Regarding tying them to a roof rack... That would work but is not without possible issues. How much weight is the roof and the rack (because each has its own rating) rated for? How much will the cans weigh full? How much will the other gear up there weigh? How will the heat of the sun affect the cans and their contents? Etc., etc.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 pm

I personally suggest the 5 gallon plastic jugs for cost and durability purposes. That said I have never tried the EU 20 liter versions. I long ago learned to dislike metal cans due to rust issues in my climate. Thus I confess bias.

Bugging out by car is a real risk in my area. These trailer hitch mounted racks are very popular. They easily hold several 5 gallon gas cans. If your Yukon has a trailer hitch, they are a snap to install. You can tie down the cans and even lock them with a cable type lock. A trailer hitch is much easier to install than a roof rack

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-18153-Baske ... B00JF5LRN0

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:08 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:27 pm
I personally suggest the 5 gallon plastic jugs for cost and durability purposes. That said I have never tried the EU 20 liter versions. I long ago learned to dislike metal cans due to rust issues in my climate. Thus I confess bias.

Bugging out by car is a real risk in my area. These trailer hitch mounted racks are very popular. They easily hold several 5 gallon gas cans. If your Yukon has a trailer hitch, they are a snap to install. You can tie down the cans and even lock them with a cable type lock. A trailer hitch is much easier to install than a roof rack

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-18153-Baske ... B00JF5LRN0

Tell me more about using plastic? I can get surplus french water jugs in 20L for a lot less. Can I use those for fuel? Which plastsic fuel cans to you suggest? I'll be living in the PNW so plastic makes a lot of sense to me.

I can get these for a lot cheaper. and they look fairly tough. Not jugs - cans. https://www.majorsurplus.com/french-can ... cross.html
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:13 pm
Regarding tying them to a roof rack... That would work but is not without possible issues. How much weight is the roof and the rack (because each has its own rating) rated for? How much will the cans weigh full? How much will the other gear up there weigh? How will the heat of the sun affect the cans and their contents? Etc., etc.
Yes. Agreed. I meant to say. The cans would go inside the back of my SUV. Unless I got a suitable roof rack or hitch rack to carry them on.

I hope I can use those plastic water containers. They are way cheaper and seem more durable.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:16 pm

I can get these:

https://www.majorsurplus.com/20-liter-5 ... combo.html

But much more expensive. I love how they can't be sold in CA. Yet this place is about 5 miles from me in CA. LOL.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 pm

I know the (yellow) diesel and (red)gasoline plastic jugs are made of the same plastic. I am not sure about the water jugs and the plastic used to make them. The water jugs may be cheaper since they are not exposed to the same liability issues as fuel jugs.

I have about a dozen that look like the one in the picture. I use a couple on my boat for dingy fuel and store gasoline for my cars in 4 others. The rest are spares. The oldest is over a decade old. They do not wear out if you keep them out of the sun. The sun will make them degrade.

They seal great and if you leave them in sun they will expand and pressurize from the fuel. The seal is good enough for that. That means moisture has a more difficult time getting into the can.

They have only one God blessed hole so they are a PITA to pour quickly and despite the spout you will need a funnel to use them. They make DIY kits for venting but since i use them mainly for storage in a marine environment I view the single opening as desirable. On the boat I secure them on the stern deck and simply cover them with a white sun cloth.

I do store 4 cans at home for evacuation purposes. These are stored outside away from the house in a container that is in the shade. I rotate 1/2 the fuel every month by simply dumping two full containers into a car(s) and refilling them at the gas station. My evacuation plan A assumes I go to the airport and the gas is left at home for my return. Plan b assumes 2 cars are needed for evacuation and each car is likely to have 1/2 to 3/4 a tank of tank of gasoline. Thus 2 to 3 cans needed to top off fuel in both cars with 1 to 2 cans left over as spare fuel. Each car would get 1/2 of the remaining fuel in 2 separate cans to bring along for the evacuation.
In my car the gas can would go in the trunk. On my wife's van it would go on the trailer hitch mount cargo tray like the one above.

BTW if you are refueling a car you need a long neck funnel like this to get past the fuel flap.
https://www.amazon.com/WirthCo-32855-Fu ... B00L4816B4

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:01 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:54 pm
The water jugs may be cheaper since they are not exposed to the same liability issues as fuel jugs.
Want to try that again? :?
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:05 pm

moab wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:16 pm
I can get these:

https://www.majorsurplus.com/20-liter-5 ... combo.html

But much more expensive. I love how they can't be sold in CA. Yet this place is about 5 miles from me in CA. LOL.
Can't be sold in Cali because they aren't C.A.R.B compliant.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:09 pm

moab wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Tell me more about using plastic? I can get surplus french water jugs in 20L for a lot less. Can I use those for fuel? Which plastsic fuel cans to you suggest? I'll be living in the PNW so plastic makes a lot of sense to me.

I can get these for a lot cheaper. and they look fairly tough. Not jugs - cans. https://www.majorsurplus.com/french-can ... cross.html
I believe (and could very well be mistaken) that you should be able to use the French plastic cans for fuel, provided you remove any and all markings that they contain water.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:09 pm
moab wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:08 pm

I believe (and could very well be mistaken) that you should be able to use the French plastic cans for fuel, provided you remove any and all markings that they contain water.
I hope so. I'll test one with fuel for a few months. See what happens. They are way cheaper.

Ya. I know about the CA laws. And other states. I just love a company that says screw it and sells them anyway. ;)

moab

Post by moab » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:01 pm

For future reference:

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/thre ... ans.37736/

You can't use water jerry cans for fuel. As the caps are different - they won't hold the fuel in. And the fuel cans are rated to a certain psi. The water ones are not.

SO I'm going with metal EU jerry gas cans. And LCI or Specter water cans.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Just a reminder that these people exist....and I wish they would get some 20L water cans in stock. :gonk:

http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/storage-water-cans/

The 10L may be more useful. They would weigh 22 lbs? which would be easier for most people, such as my wife, to carry if loading the car quickly with water. And soup. And other liquids. The 20L might be too much for fast handling.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

moab

Post by moab » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am

Well I went to my local surplus store last night. And everything was sold out. So that settles it. I'll be buying the new metal EU gas cans with braces and nozzles off ebay - 4 for $100. And the Spector plastic water jerry cans new from LCI or someplace close. For $25 each. PRobably best to start with new anyway. And the proper container for the proper use. Someday I'll spring for the new plastic gas cans. I much prefer something that won't rust. But those are $60 each. We'll see. Maybe I'll just go straight for the plastic all around.

Buy once. Cry once. lol.

gary83

Post by gary83 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:52 am

I'm pleased with my jerry cans. I also like the design of rotopax though they are expensive.

Return to “Transportation”