Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
The Twizzler
* * * *
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:47 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Okay, I know it's a slightly less obvious choice but what about a Hummer H3 (not the huge poser H2)? They have good off road performance and they sold pretty well so you should be able to find one. MPG would be less than what you wanted but similar to any other gas powered body on frame 4x4. The optional adventure or off road package increased its capabilities even more, it included 33 inch tires, a fully armored undercarriage, off road shocks, differential lockers and 4:1 low range gearing. They made these up though I think 2011 in the US so it wouldn't be that old and came with either a manual 5 spd or a 4 speed auto. Engine choices were an inline 6 (same as in the traliblazer and colorado) or a 5.3 V8. Standard GM parts bin so easy and cheap to work on.
Image
Image
They even made a pick up model I think it was call the H3 UT model
Image
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:35 pm

The Twizzler wrote:Okay, I know it's a slightly less obvious choice but what about a Hummer H3 (not the huge poser H2)?
I do appreciate the input, but I'd really like something in the last 2 years (I know I'm a picky little bitch), I'm just tired of having to work on cars, I want something new where I KNOW the history of it. I'm tired of getting molested vehicles that end up breaking on me.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
w3rdtoyamama
* * *
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 6:30 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.
Location: Central New York
Contact:

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:38 am

Id go pickup truck.

Myy F350 was about $28k sticker, after interest, totally paid off wouldve been around, $33-34k. with my trade in, total payment for me is $24k.

I have 4 doors, 5 seats and a 8ft bed. Kind of big but dont need to go that big or long. My parking isnt a real issue...or any driving really. I may park farther from the door and get less mpg, but I drive in luxury and have a monster kf a daily BOV.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

Dooms
* * * *
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:41 am

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by Dooms » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:13 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:Id go pickup truck.

Myy F350 was about $28k sticker, after interest, totally paid off wouldve been around, $33-34k. with my trade in, total payment for me is $24k.

I have 4 doors, 5 seats and a 8ft bed. Kind of big but dont need to go that big or long. My parking isnt a real issue...or any driving really. I may park farther from the door and get less mpg, but I drive in luxury and have a monster kf a daily BOV.

How long ago did you buy it? We were just looking at stripped gasser F350 XL's for work trucks and they want $38,000-$41,000. Diesels were $50,000+.

colmer
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:24 am

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by colmer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:59 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
curryman wrote:I was looking for roughly the same thing. Took the hit on the MPG's and got a Frontier. An "S" model in 4X4 king cab or crew cab is right at $30k. I get about 15 city and 27 hwy. It has so much power that I drive much more aggressively than I should. My only bitch is the ridiculous turning radius(crew cab long bed 4X4). 2016 SV with lots of extras(sun roof, truck package etc) was about $32k. Love it.

Curryman
I was looking at a Frontier but Nissan's website sucks. What engine is in the Frontier? Turning radius doesn't bother me I have an F350 crew cab (or whatever the long one is) with an 8' bed, the thing is like 32' long or something haha. I don't really need something that's got a lot of power, I was kind of looking for a small truck/SUV to do light duty stuff that I could go up on dirt roads and trails to get to some secluded camping spots.
4.0 v6. It's a sweet engine. My parents have the pathfinder (same platform). Thing hauls ass more than its specs would have you believe. Don't get the 4 banger.

They have 170k on the odometer with only 1 issue (the Nissan transmission debacle that led to a class-action lawsuit because Nissan didn't recall transmissions that had the radiator leaking fluid into it)
4.0 v6 is a great engine indeed. Recently helped a buddy install the new set of tires and Moto metal wheels plus brake job on buddy's Frontier. 190k miles on the clock with no major issue so far.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:10 pm

Dooms wrote:
w3rdtoyamama wrote:Id go pickup truck.

Myy F350 was about $28k sticker, after interest, totally paid off wouldve been around, $33-34k. with my trade in, total payment for me is $24k.

I have 4 doors, 5 seats and a 8ft bed. Kind of big but dont need to go that big or long. My parking isnt a real issue...or any driving really. I may park farther from the door and get less mpg, but I drive in luxury and have a monster kf a daily BOV.

How long ago did you buy it? We were just looking at stripped gasser F350 XL's for work trucks and they want $38,000-$41,000. Diesels were $50,000+.
In 2010 I bought my 08 F350 diesel for $55k. I like having a big ass truck, but I don't like filling the thing up when I drive it often..... 80-100 fuel bills aren't easy on the wallet.

I think I've narrowed it down to a light duty truck.... Tacoma, Frontier, RAM 1500 (I think that's the one with the small diesel), GMC Canyon, or the Ranger. I went to the Jeep dealership and drove 4 of them. Compass, Renegade, Wrangler, and one I'm now spacing on. The only one I remotely liked was the Wrangler, but the trucks get better fuel economy and have more room.

I think I'm going to actually BUY in 2019, the property is getting thrown in my lap a lot faster than I expected so I've got things I need to do to the house a lot faster than I expected. But not having to pay rent/mortage is going to save me a lot so I can actually save more money for a down payment before I buy so I might be able to buy something a little more expensive and pay the same amount I planned..... we'll see.

Keep the suggestions coming! and thanks everyone for your input.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
RonnyRonin
* * * * *
Posts: 1528
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 8:11 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:31 am

I think the Ram 1500 is still my top pick, the Tradesman model in particular speaks to me; vinyl bench seats, plain jane interior, etc. but I'd forgotten about the diesel Canyon, also very tempting. I think the canyon is about 10-20% smaller and gets 10% better economy, have to see what actually materializes with the Ranger and then compare the numbers! I'd be curious to see how the backseat compares between them, I'm guessing its fairly well a wash in most aspects.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:10 am

RonnyRonin wrote:I think the Ram 1500 is still my top pick, the Tradesman model in particular speaks to me; vinyl bench seats, plain jane interior, etc. but I'd forgotten about the diesel Canyon, also very tempting. I think the canyon is about 10-20% smaller and gets 10% better economy, have to see what actually materializes with the Ranger and then compare the numbers! I'd be curious to see how the backseat compares between them, I'm guessing its fairly well a wash in most aspects.
I can’t say I’m not partial. I’m a ford fan girl. My f350 I thought would break me of that with the issues I’ve had. But I keep coming backZ the 2.4l v6 ecoboost motor is not to be messed with. It may not have the low end torque as say a diesel, but it’s got the mid and high beat. From there you can use the tranny.

But I’m REALLY REALLY interested in the canyon. It would be nice to keep diesel “en mass” but if the Ranger has as good/better economy I’m even mode ok with that.

Hence why I think I’m going to hold off. I can work from home so my car won’t gain miles. But it’ll depreciate in value for being older.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
ghost792
* *
Posts: 286
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by ghost792 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote: Another wildcard is the Subaru XV Crosstrek. I know it's unibody and awd, but they are amazing vehicles and stay at like $20grand give or take.
Likely my next car, but doesn't tick Halfpint's check box for towing capacity. If there's a vehicle that meets his criteria, color me interested.
It's an AWD, but the Subaru Outback meets all the other criteria (2700 lbs towing).

Post Reply

Return to “Transportation”