Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:45 pm

I've decided that I'm in the market for and daily driver bugout vehicle. Right now I drive a 07 Audi A4 FWD, it's great for roads.... and that's it. I've been going up into the mtns a lot more and the other day when up into some trails to get to remote area. The A4 would have never made it through the stuff so I took my truck, unfortunately my truck is an F350 and isn't the easiest thing to bring on some small trails. I'm looking at SUV's or perhaps small truck.

Some of the things I'm looking for:
Clearance (8" or so)
Actual 4x4 (not AWD)
2000lb tow capability
Decent MPG (possibly diesel)
$30,000 Budget

With that list, I've found Jeeps... That's about it. There are a couple of small trucks that fit into it but nothing that makes me excited. However I noticed that the new Ford Ranger is coming out next year that actually got me kind of excited. I generally don't like Jeeps because the ones I've ridden in are remarkably meh. I've only driven in older models and a newer Wangler. The wrangler I don't like because of the soft top, even with a hard it's still loud and the MPG is awful.

I may end up holding out until next year just so I can look at the new Ranger because it's the only vehicle I've actually been drawn to.

Any suggestions of what I can look into?
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Help Me Choose a Daily BOV

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Define "decent" MPG.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:27 pm

majorhavoc wrote:Define "decent" MPG.
25 or so combined? Of course more the better. I may soon be driving a lot more, the property is about 25 miles from work, through some of the worst traffic in the area. So MPG would really be a great thing. However a little worse than 25 average wouldn't be a deal breaker.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

curryman

Post by curryman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 pm

I was looking for roughly the same thing. Took the hit on the MPG's and got a Frontier. An "S" model in 4X4 king cab or crew cab is right at $30k. I get about 15 city and 27 hwy. It has so much power that I drive much more aggressively than I should. My only bitch is the ridiculous turning radius(crew cab long bed 4X4). 2016 SV with lots of extras(sun roof, truck package etc) was about $32k. Love it.

Curryman

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Finding a tough/rugged SUV that's body on frame with a true 4wd system brand new is very tough. I'm pretty sure your only options are the wrangler and 4runner.

I'm not a fan of the new midsized trucks as they are pretty big and just as spendy as a full size. For midsized trucks, I love the Nissan Frontier. I wanna be interested in the new 2020 bronco but Ford has been making me grumpy lately so they'll probably screw it up.

Another wildcard is the Subaru XV Crosstrek. I know it's unibody and awd, but they are amazing vehicles and stay at like $20grand give or take. Another good soft-road option is the Mazda CX lines. You'd be surprised what these crossovers can do on trails and in light mud and snow (forget rock crawling).

However, I hate spending more than $5 grand on a vehicle so I'd hit up the hard market. Nissan Xterra (check the tranny issue dates... Post 2011 is good I think), Jeep Wj and Liberties aren't bad for beaters, I love Toyotas but they are over priced.

My next vehicle is the first generation Kia Sorento. If you get the later models with 3.3 or 3.8 V6, you get good power, body-on-frame, and a decent 4wd system, and can lift and customize it. Here's a write up that's cool. And since I like it, others need to like it.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-vehi ... orento-ex/
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:38 pm

curryman wrote:I was looking for roughly the same thing. Took the hit on the MPG's and got a Frontier. An "S" model in 4X4 king cab or crew cab is right at $30k. I get about 15 city and 27 hwy. It has so much power that I drive much more aggressively than I should. My only bitch is the ridiculous turning radius(crew cab long bed 4X4). 2016 SV with lots of extras(sun roof, truck package etc) was about $32k. Love it.

Curryman
I was looking at a Frontier but Nissan's website sucks. What engine is in the Frontier? Turning radius doesn't bother me I have an F350 crew cab (or whatever the long one is) with an 8' bed, the thing is like 32' long or something haha. I don't really need something that's got a lot of power, I was kind of looking for a small truck/SUV to do light duty stuff that I could go up on dirt roads and trails to get to some secluded camping spots.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Halfapint wrote:
curryman wrote:I was looking for roughly the same thing. Took the hit on the MPG's and got a Frontier. An "S" model in 4X4 king cab or crew cab is right at $30k. I get about 15 city and 27 hwy. It has so much power that I drive much more aggressively than I should. My only bitch is the ridiculous turning radius(crew cab long bed 4X4). 2016 SV with lots of extras(sun roof, truck package etc) was about $32k. Love it.

Curryman
I was looking at a Frontier but Nissan's website sucks. What engine is in the Frontier? Turning radius doesn't bother me I have an F350 crew cab (or whatever the long one is) with an 8' bed, the thing is like 32' long or something haha. I don't really need something that's got a lot of power, I was kind of looking for a small truck/SUV to do light duty stuff that I could go up on dirt roads and trails to get to some secluded camping spots.
4.0 v6. It's a sweet engine. My parents have the pathfinder (same platform). Thing hauls ass more than its specs would have you believe. Don't get the 4 banger.

They have 170k on the odometer with only 1 issue (the Nissan transmission debacle that led to a class-action lawsuit because Nissan didn't recall transmissions that had the radiator leaking fluid into it)
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:12 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

Curryman
4.0 v6. It's a sweet engine. My parents have the pathfinder (same platform). Thing hauls ass more than its specs would have you believe. Don't get the 4 banger.

They have 170k on the odometer with only 1 issue (the Nissan transmission debacle that led to a class-action lawsuit because Nissan didn't recall transmissions that had the radiator leaking fluid into it)
Good to know, I guess with the super crew or whatever cab they call it it would almost be like an SUV. Bonus would be that I could put a canopy on it and make a little camping. Still not 100% sold. But the nice thing is that I can get a used model with low miles, or now that 2017's are going out and 2018's are coming in I might be able to get a better deal.

curryman

Post by curryman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:41 pm

As Jeeper said, it's a 4.0. Waaaaayyy faster than it should be. I can blow doors off most other trucks. 0-60 in 7.2 not a chance, I've done it in 6.2. In a crew cab long bed 4X4. My friend has put about $2k in mods in his F150, still can't keep up with me.

Get one before the ugly new redesign comes out. :gonk:

Curryman

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:00 pm

curryman wrote:As Jeeper said, it's a 4.0. Waaaaayyy faster than it should be. I can blow doors off most other trucks. 0-60 in 7.2 not a chance, I've done it in 6.2. In a crew cab long bed 4X4. My friend has put about $2k in mods in his F150, still can't keep up with me.

Curryman
Agreed, the redesign will "soccer mom" it out just like the whale of the new Orca... Err I mean Pathfinder.

Only issue with the Xterra/pathfinder/frontier platform is the noisy traction control/ABS system. Sounds like something is broken cuz it makes a grinding noise... But it's normal hahaha.

Side note, a church friend ordered a 2wd short bed single cab frontier with the 4.0 v6 (if my memory serves me correctly). Thing was a rocket ship. Would smoke most every day regular cars. I would say only v8 sports cars could pass it.

I also have some stories about the 4.0 pathfinder and outrunning road rage drivers but that's a long story. I love Nissan V6 engines.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:11 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
curryman wrote:As Jeeper said, it's a 4.0. Waaaaayyy faster than it should be. I can blow doors off most other trucks. 0-60 in 7.2 not a chance, I've done it in 6.2. In a crew cab long bed 4X4. My friend has put about $2k in mods in his F150, still can't keep up with me.

Curryman
Agreed, the redesign will "soccer mom" it out just like the whale of the new Orca... Err I mean Pathfinder.

Only issue with the Xterra/pathfinder/frontier platform is the noisy traction control/ABS system. Sounds like something is broken cuz it makes a grinding noise... But it's normal hahaha.

Side note, a church friend ordered a 2wd short bed single cab frontier with the 4.0 v6 (if my memory serves me correctly). Thing was a rocket ship. Would smoke most every day regular cars. I would say only v8 sports cars could pass it.

I also have some stories about the 4.0 pathfinder and outrunning road rage drivers but that's a long story. I love Nissan V6 engines.
If I wanted fast I would get what I was originally looking at.... Focus RS 350hp AWD. I mean even right now the Audi has the upgraded t4 turbo, intercooler and a chipped ECU boosting whp to over 300. I'm looking for something that gets over 22 average MPG. The Frontier will be one I look at but if I'm going to commute 50+ miles a day I want something that I'm not burning 1/4 of a tank in a single commute.

The Jeep Compass average is like 28 or something my buddies Subaru crosstrek averages 35 he commutes further but he's stuck in traffic all day (I was thinking about the crosstrek but its AWD, however when we took it up the other day it handled great. I just don't want AWD because I've had bad experiences with them.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 pm

4x4 that gets north of 22mpg is going to be tough to find, typically requires either bad math or imperial gallons.

I always use the Ford Escape as a point of reference, my mom's can get 32MPG highway and she can average 25 fairly easily mixed. She has a 5-speed, 4 cyl, 2wd. Everyone wants the 30+MPG when they buy an escape, but most get talked into the 6cyl, AWD or automatic and then don't understand why they get 15-20 instead of 25-30mpg. You can maybe get away with one out of three, but polling craigslist it seem like a lot of people went for three out of three.

I think the diesel cherokees (mecedes enigne?) where about the only thing that were getting close to 25 mixed with 4x4, but even that I think was best-case scenario numbers, and I'm fairly certain the real-world numbers on the diesel rangers is worse. I actually think the dodge 1500 diesel gets better fuel economy then the diesel rangers, I think the ecodiesel can do north of 22MPG but 25 might still be a bit optimistic for mixed as 28 is about real-world max.

I hate to be the voice of insanity, but 30K will get you a decent grey-market diesel import out of canada, but it would be old and probably not a good deal compared to a boring domestic option.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote: Another wildcard is the Subaru XV Crosstrek. I know it's unibody and awd, but they are amazing vehicles and stay at like $20grand give or take.
Likely my next car, but doesn't tick Halfpint's check box for towing capacity. If there's a vehicle that meets his criteria, color me interested.

curryman

Post by curryman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:52 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:4x4 that gets north of 22mpg is going to be tough to find, typically requires either bad math or imperial gallons.
True. I bought mine for the abilities, for groceries I use my 15 year old civic.

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Sopunds like you're looking more upscale/new but a cherry used Chevy Tracker would fit in the envelope.

Otherwise, Nissan XTerra?
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I was kind of in the same boat as you. I wanted real 4x4 with a 2Hi setting and body-on-frame, but also better fuel economy than my 2009 Wrangler. Ended up buying a 2016 diesel GMC Canyon. My lowest fuel economy is 19 city in winter and highest being 32 mpg highway in the summer. I put a low camper top on the bed and it's basically an SUV. Have about 18,000 miles on it now including towing a 5,500 lb trailer and I'm quite happy with it.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:31 pm

Dooms wrote:I was kind of in the same boat as you. I wanted real 4x4 with a 2Hi setting and body-on-frame, but also better fuel economy than my 2009 Wrangler. Ended up buying a 2016 diesel GMC Canyon. My lowest fuel economy is 19 city in winter and highest being 32 mpg highway in the summer. I put a low camper top on the bed and it's basically an SUV. Have about 18,000 miles on it now including towing a 5,500 lb trailer and I'm quite happy with it.
I just saw these I may have to look into one actually. I didn't really know GMC actually made a small diesel. I would have to give up my Ford card, however for a small diesel I could just say.... look you guys dun fucked up by not making one!

The towing isn't really THAT important I just figured if I'm not going to have a large bed a trailer to haul stuff would be the next best stuff when I don't want to take the 350. Thanks everyone. I may even still look into the crosstrek my buddies is nice and I cant believe how well it handled going up in the snow.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Yea, I tend to like Ford trucks a bit better as well and was holding out for a diesel Bronco or Ranger, but I couldn't wait any longer. GMC/Chevy was the only company to offer what I wanted.

Ford just showed the new US-spec Ranger this week and the only drivetrain option is a 4cyl turbo gas engine with a 10-speed automatic, so that means no chance of a diesel until 2020+. Maybe by then I'll be ready for my next vehicle :lol:

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:44 pm

Dooms wrote:Yea, I tend to like Ford trucks a bit better as well and was holding out for a diesel Bronco or Ranger, but I couldn't wait any longer. GMC/Chevy was the only company to offer what I wanted.

Ford just showed the new US-spec Ranger this week and the only drivetrain option is a 4cyl turbo gas engine with a 10-speed automatic, so that means no chance of a diesel until 2020+. Maybe by then I'll be ready for my next vehicle :lol:
Yeah the turbo gas is amazing, Mom got the new mustang with it and it's efficient and powerful. I'm still in the process.... I may still wait and get the rannger when/if there's more info on it. So we'll see. But in the mean time maybe I'll go check the GMC out.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:17 am

Kia is bringing over a diesel Sorento. I also believe Ford will be bringing over a diesel for their Ranger, on top of the Jeep and GM diesels that are here or announced for this year.

I thought the VW dieselgate scandal was going to end the diesel in America, but I think it just created a vacuum in the market that needed filled.

ORRRRRRRRR..... you can drop about $4,000-5,000 on a super clean Jeep XJ Cherokee, get 20ish mpg, offroad like a bat outta hell, and have $25,000 left over for gas and 10mm ammo. :awesome: :awesome:

You already got a sporty car and a truck, just need that weekend beater!!!!!

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:You already got a sporty car and a truck, just need that weekend beater!!!!!
That's an option, and something I've considered. Right now though space is limited I store the truck at moms, because I don't have room for it. I like the car but right now its got 111,111 miles on it. It's getting where I'm having to put money into it and random shit is breaking. I've replaced 1 motor mount and 3 others need to be replaced (one of them is 8 hours at a shop, so probably 15 hours for me), have had 2 transmission mounts break, and my steering rack is shifted and needs to be replaced. All things that the dealership will do if I trade it in, and still make a couple grand off the used car.
JeeperCreeper wrote:Kia is bringing over a diesel Sorento. I also believe Ford will be bringing over a diesel for their Ranger, on top of the Jeep and GM diesels that are here or announced for this year.
Interesting, I dunno how much I'd trust a Kia going off road, my GFs Hyundai works, but its loud and hearing the suspension and feeling the way it shifts the whole car when going over a bump scares me. I've heard the Ranger will have one, however I've heard they wont because they really want more of the ecoboost motors out there..... So who knows. I'm going to go and check a couple different dealers/used car places to see what places have right now.

curryman

Post by curryman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm

Halfapint wrote: 111,111 miles

HAHA. In about an hour I'm going to buy a 2002 Xterra 4X4 with 220,000 miles. Runs and drives like a champ. 2" lift and already armored. Looks like I have a weekend toy!

Curryman

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm

curryman wrote:
Halfapint wrote: 111,111 miles

HAHA. In about an hour I'm going to buy a 2002 Xterra 4X4 with 220,000 miles. Runs and drives like a champ. 2" lift and already armored. Looks like I have a weekend toy!

Curryman
I know it sounds funny but I've had to put more money into this than my Honda's and fords combined in such a short amount of time. I want to offload it before the driveline drops out. The engine is flawless I dropped the bottom end and it's immaculate inside. but everything else is falling apart. It was also stolen a couple years ago (still trying to figureout how with the laser cut key and they didn't hotwire it), it was crashed into a curb and abandoned. They did about 3k worth of damaged to the suspension replaced both the upper and lower control arms along with a couple other things for about $900 I think the wreck caused the break down of everything else.

Hence why I want something new and unmolested

curryman

Post by curryman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:02 pm

I guess now is a bad time to say that I talked him down to $1220.
Rear main looks like about a qt a 1000 mile leak.
Entire exhaust past the cats are done.

Might just wheel it a bit and sell it for $2500.

Curryman

Return to “Transportation”