Bicycles.

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

co2man

Bicycles.

Post by co2man » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Bicycles I believe are the best form of bug-out vehicle. They're quick, cheap to run and silent and can carry quite a lot of gear too.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Re: Bicycles.

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm

co2man wrote:Bicycles I believe are the best form of bug-out vehicle. They're quick, cheap to run and silent and can carry quite a lot of gear too.
I agree that they are quick, cheap, and silent, but I wouldn't throw around "best".

They are also super reliable and easy to maintain. But might not be the best for every situation!!
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 pm

they would be sort of rough for bugging out with your family in a blizzard.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:20 pm

emclean wrote:they would be sort of rough for bugging out with your family in a blizzard.
Don't wanna be running from that Cali wildfire on a Huffy...

But as was said in other threads, the APOC world may just have tons of cyclists and spandex
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by Zembecowicz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Just like anything else, vehicles are tools, and you need the right one for the job.

I work in a downtown, urban environment. If I'm sufficiently motivated I can get out of downtown into residential neighborhoods in about 20 minutes on my bicycle. In my car I'm lucky to be out in 30 minutes. 45 is a more reasonable expectation.

On the other side of the coin, I live in a rural area. There's about a 1500 foot altitude difference between home and work. Last Winter, I had about 3' of snow at my place. Trying to ride a bicycle would've been an exercise in futility, but my 4x4 got me around just fine.

So I guess to sum it up, the biggest upside of a bike is being able to get around traffic, assuming weather conditions allow for it and you aren't carrying too much stuff a bike could very well be the right tool for the job.

RonnyRonin
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombieland wasn't bad, but shaun started it for me.

Post by RonnyRonin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Depends entirely on your starting location and your destination. I think the idea that the huge majority of people won't be able to get where they want to go with a car is overblown, sure some may be stuck in traffic, but with proper prior planning a motorized vehicle is just going to get your further, faster and with more supplies.

If stealth is a large factor in your initial BO plan you probably waited far to long to bug out, leather clad land pirates preying on anyone with guzzoline don't seem to pop up in the immediate aftermath of most disasters I have seen in recent history. For PAW use a bicycle handily circumvents fuel supply issues, but for the initial aftermath give me a 2000lb payload and 100 gallons of diesel any day. I'll still have my bicycle on the back, but I'd get a few hundred mile head start in any case.

As for bicycle payload, if you haul much more then what you could carry on your back you are likely going to be stuck to paved roads regardless, most off road tour folks have a weight cut-off similar to backpackers, road touring can push that up to 2x-3x the typical boot-packers payload, but you will pay for it in speed and trail options.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:20 pm

While I don't know that I'd call it the "best" bug out vehicle (it could be in certain limited circumstances), I do see a bicycle as a really viable transportation choice in a long term grid down situation. I don't really buy into the whole Mad Max scenario where everyone is bombing all over the post apocalyptic landscape decades after a societal collapse.

Bicycles are cheap, mechanically simple, easy to maintain and are still one of the most efficient personal transportation devices. I could definitely see them as very valuable around the homestead, encampment and for use on stealthy patrols.

Plus, if you make one part of your preps, you might actually use it in day to day life. Cycling is terrific exercise. And good physical conditioning is damn near the most important prep any of us can do.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:05 am

They might be best as backup, but not a primary mode of transportation
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:36 am

This pops up about once a year. Plenty of other threads discussing it if you want to do some searches.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Return to “Transportation”