It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:15 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

There's a growing movement, all over the world, to bring automotive fun to those of us who can't really afford the latest Lambo, Ferrari, etc.
For off road enthusiasts there are events like Cheap Truck, Gambler 500...
For the more asphalt oriented, you have events like LeMONs and Chump Car racing.

How about a rally event based on an apocalyptic theme?

Racers have a practical limit on the car they can enter. Either a dollar value like some of the aforementioned events, or at least a good explanation of why this was the 'available vehicle'
when the balloon went up. Points to be awarded for various things, such as meeting the Spirit of the event, best backstory (for participants and/or their car), clothing, car decor, etc...

The event would start at a salvage yard (waivers signed, of course), and the participants would have a little time to comb the yard for bits and bobs to fix/improve/decorate their cars.
They would be allowed a limited pre-load of tools/parts/materials based on a realistic idea of what someone would have in their car at any given point.

Not a speed race, to avoid legal issues along the way, but each stop would have a challenge, from road-rally courses, to obstacles... just whatever the organizers can come up with.

Check points for the night would be a campground in or beside a salvage yard. Participants can only use the yard for any parts of materials they might need. No stopping at Autozone for wheel bearings, etc. Locals could be tapped to set up the campsite, dressed in post-bomb attire (or zombie, can have different theme at stops), and generally provide a good time for the teams.

Finish would be at a junkyard, either another one, or circle back to the starting point for the finale. Salvage yards could host the stops as sponsors, and of course they'd be named on the waivers that participants would sign.

Ok... just an idea that popped up while I was watching a video about the LeMONs rally... thought I'd spill it here for y'all.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/lemons-rally/

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:20 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Sounds like you'd also enjoy Scrapheap Challenge, which I believe is available on Channel 4 on Demand.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:20 am 

You mean Junkyard Wars? Seen it.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Loved that show, both the Brit and US versions. :D

The above idea would be something of a melding of that spirit with the current cheap-car event types.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

This obviously would be right up of a lot of our alleys. Sort of a blend of Burning Man and 24 Hours of Lemons.

It might be more practical to stage an event like this without the junkyard hacking during the event itself. At least initially. Let people lovingly craft their post apocalyptic vehicles in the months leading up to the event and enter them either for static display and/or to take part in an off road race/vehicular obstacle course.

I also like the idea that entrants have to camp in or around their vehicles, in keeping with the nomadic, TEOTWAWKI theme.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

A good chunk of the gambler vehicles are apocalypse themed and done it that spirit... I'd say just do the gambler and Mad Max your vehicle out and have fun

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:09 pm 

Look up these for ideas, both are charity rallies in Australia

https://www.shitboxrally.com.au/

https://www.variety.org.au/bash/bash-vic/

Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:28 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

If there was a sanctioned ZS event, kinda like a 3 day expedition style rally where we had to camp out of the vehicles and be PAW themed, I'm sure I ca get my buddies and my brother's Jeep club into it. Half the offroad club's vehicle's are beat and junkyard parts anyways so it would be an easy transition

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:52 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

JeeperCreeper wrote:
If there was a sanctioned ZS event, kinda like a 3 day expedition style rally where we had to camp out of the vehicles and be PAW themed, I'm sure I ca get my buddies and my brother's Jeep club into it. Half the offroad club's vehicle's are beat and junkyard parts anyways so it would be an easy transition

That was the idea. If you're looking to get exposure for the organization, maybe even work some fundraising into it, this is an event type that's really picking up in popularity... and ZS would make for a killer theme.
...especially if you can draw some of the more popular media types, like the RoadKill guys, Dirt Every Day (yeah, they're the same company, but different shows all the same)... if you get folks like that to show up, and don't blow the timing or execution, success shouldn't be difficult at all.

The midway junkyard work wouldn't be mod-work so much... just that one of the rules would be that any materials, tools, and supplies not already on board needed for repairs... would have to come from a junkyard. This fits the theme in that there won't be a Pep Boys on every corner post-apocalypse. This can be a hard-and-fast rule, or just a points penalty if you do use a civilized resource.