It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:21 pm 

I want to outfit my suv to a bug out vehicle for getting out of LA or Seattle area eventually. What aftermarket parts companies sell stuff for a 07 GMC Yukon XL 4x4? Or similar? Suburban etc.

I'm looking for:

1) A rear outside rack to hold jerry cans of fuel and water. A spare tire. That won't get in the way of the two hitch.
2) Those lockable floor cases for rifles and ammo and whatever else you want to lock up. That are like 10 inches thick or so. Some smaller. Some cover the entire bed under the seats with the seats out.
3) Brush guard of some sort. With a winch would be cool. Not sure how expensive a jump the winch is.
4) Top rack to carry everything under the sun on. Would prefer something open and made of metal. And suggestions for surplus cases that would work well up there. Waterproof would be a must.
5) Anything else I'm not thinking about. I don't really want to do a lift.

My vehicle is here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=119456&p=2654333&hilit=gmc+yukon#p2654333

Which companies are high end? Low end but worth the money? The latter being the most sought after. I'll even troll junk yards for the stuff. Largest ones in the country are here in LA. And I love trolling junkyards.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 am 

hhhmmm, generally the path to a rear swing out rack is to replace the whole rear bumper, which would then have its own integrated hitch. Looks harder on the newer 'burbans and I don't know how far you are willing to go. Receiver hitch rack is the least intrusive option, but rather unwieldy.

For roof rack boxes these would be my first choice:

https://colemans.com/shop/containers/u-s-g-i-aluminum-storage-container-zeiglar-mortuary-container/

but these are a more manageable size:

https://colemans.com/shop/containers/medical-transport-chest-u-s-g-i-aluminum/

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:18 pm 

RonnyRonin wrote:
hhhmmm, generally the path to a rear swing out rack is to replace the whole rear bumper, which would then have its own integrated hitch. Looks harder on the newer 'burbans and I don't know how far you are willing to go. Receiver hitch rack is the least intrusive option, but rather unwieldy.

For roof rack boxes these would be my first choice:

https://colemans.com/shop/containers/u-s-g-i-aluminum-storage-container-zeiglar-mortuary-container/

but these are a more manageable size:

https://colemans.com/shop/containers/medical-transport-chest-u-s-g-i-aluminum/

I love the coffin. lmao. That would turn some heads. But I like the smaller ones better. Those you could actually lift on and off the top.

That's to bad about the rear rack. I thought they just tied in with the bumper or something. I'll have to do some looking around.

What about a top rack? Know anyone that makes those? I'm thinking something with a half foot rim around it. That basically covers the entire roof or much of it.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm 

I really think you google "roof rack" with your model and year and pick your poison, if anything there are too many options and other then the very obviously too-cheap ones I don't hear about very many roof racks that are terrible quality, just form factors that people like or dislike according to taste.

Every now and then you might find a local fabricator looking to make a name or start a business that will custom size a roof rack, I was going to go this route but sold my SUV.

My preference would be very short sides as for me they are more just strapping points as everything up there would be in jugs boxes or at the very least dry bags and duffles, I would even consider a completely flat/flush one but I'm not sure yet. I hate the basket style racks, and hate anything that uses factory roof bars as they sit so high and are a huge wind drag.

the rear swing-outs are usually a crap-ton of weight once you have a spare, 2-4 jerry cans and a few hundred pounds of metal, don't trust anything that doesn't mount to the frame. I was going to try and make a ghetto one out of my swing out bike rack by mounting two can carriers to the upright, but didn't get to it before I sold my SUV.

If you could mount two more receivers wide on your rear end you might be able to get a swing-out made that would mount to that, that is about the only way I can think of to keep your stock bumper.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 pm 

You'd be surprised. Not a lot available for my year and model. But I'm still looking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:52 pm 

Join some of the overland communities on facebook, there are plenty of people overlanding with rigs similar to yours and they know all about who makes the best brand specific stuff. As for swing out rears, I wish I had gone that route so I could run a spare minimum on my Taco. I have a higher clearance rear bumper and now my spare tire is killing some of my departure angle, so that will be tackled this winter sometime. It will add weight, but if you offset that with proper rear suspension upgrades, you'll be fine. Truck Vault might be a decent start for lockable storage.

You have a long wheel base and pretty terrible approach and departure angles. Adding a lift will gain you a bit of advantage in those departments if you upgraded tire size as well, but honestly it won't be much in your case. Have you thought about going with a good all terrain tire? BFG TA KO2's are definitely one of the better, long-lasting, quiet tires available IMO. I have put about 25,000 miles on mine so far and they're great on road. Off-road at 20PSI and I honestly haven't had a single traction issue (though I haven't done super serious mud and don't plan to).

For bumpers/brush guard/winch. Whichever direction you go, make absolutely sure you maintain whatever airbag deployment system you have stock with the choices you make. For me it was easy, mine aren't built into the bumper nor require the stock bumper, so I was good. Another thing, make sure that whatever you get bolts into the frame directly or it will basically be useless. Also, decide on how much protection you need. I went full steel, full hoops, so if I do hit something, my radiator and headlights are mostly protected. Overlanding last weekend I was in some very tight spaces and pushed my fair share of trees and saplings with it, definitely made me glad I went full hoops!

For spare fuel, have you looked into extended range fuel tanks for your Yukon? There may be an option for a larger tank or a secondary tank to run under the body/frame which would be a better option than rack mounted systems.

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:23 am 

Escape from LA? Going to need some lights.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:08 pm 

Stercutus wrote:
Escape from LA? Going to need some lights.

Exactly. It's that or a boat. LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:51 pm 

Grill guard with winch shouldn't be too hard to find. The rest of it you might be better off just going the teotwaki way.