It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeep repair guide?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:11 pm 

I've been trying to find a decent repair manual for my 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Chilton and Haynes seem to have less useful ones than usual, at least according to the Amazon reviews. Obviously there's lots of guidance online, but I imagine people here understand my desire to have useful information in a non-electronic form. Are there any less known options out there? More general books would be nice too, but obviously stuff like wiring is vehicle-specific.

I'm less competent at vehicle maintenance and repair than I'd like, but this seems like a good vehicle to start changing that on. Way easier to get under it than my Civic, anyway.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Jeep repair guide?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:31 pm 

If I plan on keeping a vehicle for a really long stretch I buy the shop manuals (factory service manual). These of course are no longer available in paper format, although most are printable. They are also really expensive.

Here is a link:

https://www.techauthority.com/en-us/pro ... 0-15063-CD

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:30 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I am not aware of any reasons why either the Chilton or Haynes manuals wouldn't be sufficient for 95% of garage mechanic work. I've used them for multiple vehicles, including entire engine rebuilds, without failure, and many quality shops still rely on them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Vallyn wrote:

I'm less competent at vehicle maintenance and repair than I'd like, but this seems like a good vehicle to start changing that on. Way easier to get under it than my Civic, anyway.

The manuals will help you, but you still have to be competent to a degree. If you wanna learn, Youtube or an experienced friend is a good place. Or join a Jeep club. They are everywhere. If you are relying on a manual without having experience, you're already screwed.

Another thing to look into is an OBD plugin for your phone. Those and a manual and a good set of tools along with competence/knowledge will help a long way. Jeeps can be easy, but they can also be a pain. Depends on the job

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:58 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
The manuals will help you, but you still have to be competent to a degree. If you wanna learn, Youtube or an experienced friend is a good place. Or join a Jeep club. They are everywhere. If you are relying on a manual without having experience, you're already screwed.

YouTube is definitely my friend. I'd describe myself as a competent DIYer (and I own a home bought from a less-competent DIYer), but I tend to err on the side of "I don't want to mess this up and be stuck" more than I should. Example is the apparent brake fluid leak the pickup developed yesterday; took it to our mechanic rather than home, because I'm afraid I'll miss something if I try to replace brake lines and end up with an unsafe vehicle in a non-emergency repair scenario. Also, being female, I was seriously isolated from learning much of this stuff. I will forever resent my dad for the time that I asked to teach me to change a tire at 16, and he told me that I'd soon have a boyfriend who could do it for me so not to worry about it. >:(
Definitely need a code reader. Good call.

Beowolf wrote:
I am not aware of any reasons why either the Chilton or Haynes manuals wouldn't be sufficient for 95% of garage mechanic work. I've used them for multiple vehicles, including entire engine rebuilds, without failure, and many quality shops still rely on them.

The manuals in this case span several decades and models. Haynes' current is 1987-2011. That's 4 separate models and doesn't even include my year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:13 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Right. Same problem I have (2014 Wrangler).

The link Stercutus provided is likely the best option, though it's a CD and obviously doesn't meet your non-electronic format preference. You could print the whole thing...but I suppose that isn't really practical, either.

The point I was trying to make was more a point that those manuals are overall pretty good and complete. As for the specifics of your model, maybe a third party will eventually put out a print manual (Chiltons, Clymer, Haynes, etc.).

Though, remember--one of the best ways to learn is to screw it up and do it better the next time. ;) That's been my experience. Good luck, and good for you wanting to know how to do it!

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:18 pm 

Not only is it a CD, it's Windoze-only. I know we're not supposed to discuss religion, but if I can't do it in Linux, it's not happening.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:39 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Vallyn wrote:
The manuals in this case span several decades and models. Haynes' current is 1987-2011. That's 4 separate models and doesn't even include my year.

You'd be surprised how similar the YJ, TJ, and JK models are in most cases. I'd throw the XJ and ZJ in there as well. Only a few combinations on the big stuff. I'd bet there would be enough info in there to give you a good idea to get started/finished.

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:52 pm 

I really should get to know the vet who lives next door and has a 50s Willy better. Honestly, he probably knows more than I could hope to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:40 pm 

I have rebuilt Second Gen Camaros, Fox Chassis Mustangs and my Fifth Gen Celica (x5) from the ground up via Chilton and Haynes. I won't own a car without one. Sure, there is good information on the interwebs, but Chilton and Haynes are definitive IMO. I own close to fifty of them (all Generation of Mustangs and Celicas for instance.)