Building a BOBike

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Bug Out Bike?

Mine is a road/hybrid
13%
Mine is a mountain bike
56%
I'm building one, maybe I'll get to it someday...
19%
If I can't drive or walk there I'm not going
13%

Total votes: 32

eugene

Re: Building a BOBike

Post by eugene » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:50 pm

Then the opposite of the naysayer is the super optimist who hasn't ridden a bike in two decades yet will somehow be able to strap 100lbs of guns and ammo to a $99 wal-mart bike and ride 200 miles :)
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:01 pm

Yeah. I also see a few YT vids of the sort.

In the end, it's the 'engine' more than anything, and the wise application of the technology. Just promoting an idea or device isn't automagically claiming it'll do everything you could ever want an object to do.
My bike doesn't wash my windows for me, either. :D

One issue with folks thinking about e-bikes is that they're counting on the electric motor to make up for deficiencies in their own fitness level. I can see that if one is actually facing a disability, but when you can go out and 'fix' yourself, an un-powered bike can have far more utility than an e-bike with a lazy rider.

Hell, one guy in a bunch of local rides here has an e-bike, and he uses it to make up for not wanting to get out and improve himself. The annoying part, for me, is that he seems to always be in the front of the pack, but when we're ready to go a little faster, or up a hill, we have to avoid him as we pass. Then, at the next traffic light, he'll thread his way back up to the front... cuz... he WANTS to be in the front even though he doesn't want to bother earning the spot.
I got nothing against e-bikes, but they have a different use/ride/power profile and I think it's in poor taste to use one to keep up with a group of unpowered cyclists who are out there to improve themselves, just to say you're in the group... or even sometimes in the front part of the group. Hell, he even brags that he's usually in the first half of folks returning to the start point. (/rant)

Anyway.... back on topic! I'd considered an e-bike when I was too heavy for a bicycle to be a serious contender for any sort of real transportation. The difference between me and my imagined e-bike then... and me and my 'normal' bike now is considerable. Much better off being more fit with a regular bike, than not really trying and having an overpriced crutch.

In other news, I just got back from NM, and rode a couple parts of the upcoming Tour de Taco while I was there. That worked out pretty well, but my brother, who rode with me on one of them, came a cropper in a parking lot, carved his way in too fast and hit a curb.
He's a bit scraped up, and his bike needs a little adjustment and a new saddle, but they'll both live.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/velojym/48123770737
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Been doing some summer riding to keep in shape and gear test

https://imgur.com/gallery/tKCnLPc

https://imgur.com/gallery/WWcm9mo

and a pic of the gear, Rockhopper, Camelbak Transformer
https://imgur.com/gallery/2ItvRKX

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 pm

velojym wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:01 pm

One issue with folks thinking about e-bikes is that they're counting on the electric motor to make up for deficiencies in their own fitness level. I can see that if one is actually facing a disability, but when you can go out and 'fix' yourself, an un-powered bike can have far more utility than an e-bike with a lazy rider.
This does seem to be the overwhelming appeal, and while I'm as guilty of buying crutches as the next prepper, bikes are already such crazy simple and efficient machines I scratch my head a bit at the urge to weigh them down with a bunch of electronics.

If someone wants to take a quality bike and do an electric conversion on it, that is slightly better in my eyes, but the brands that do the most marketing to preppers, and the majority of e-bikes in general, seem to be quite low-quality bikes built around a single feature (the motor) and people are distracted enough by the main selling point that they won't analyze the rest of the build. The other factor seems to be that e-bikes are appealing to a crowd that hasn't ridden much (either from lack of fitness, interest, or ability) and as such aren't equipped to separate a bad bike from a good one.

I'm not sure I can find the relevant data to do this, but I've wanted to crunch the numbers on a break even point for an average e-bike. holding conditions constant, obviously an e-bike would have the caloric advantage as long as the battery lasted, but as soon as it was dead then you are pedaling around a lot of extra weight. If you can get a calories per/lb/mile of bike reference point you could figure out the number of miles past the battery dying at which you would have been better starting with an analog bike. Of course this leaves off a lot of other factors, but it would be an interesting talking point with potential bug-out bike buyers.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:38 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:31 pm
velojym wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:01 pm

This does seem to be the overwhelming appeal, and while I'm as guilty of buying crutches as the next prepper, bikes are already such crazy simple and efficient machines I scratch my head a bit at the urge to weigh them down with a bunch of electronics.

If someone wants to take a quality bike and do an electric conversion on it, that is slightly better in my eyes, but the brands that do the most marketing to preppers, and the majority of e-bikes in general, seem to be quite low-quality bikes built around a single feature (the motor) and people are distracted enough by the main selling point that they won't analyze the rest of the build. The other factor seems to be that e-bikes are appealing to a crowd that hasn't ridden much (either from lack of fitness, interest, or ability) and as such aren't equipped to separate a bad bike from a good one.

I'm not sure I can find the relevant data to do this, but I've wanted to crunch the numbers on a break even point for an average e-bike. holding conditions constant, obviously an e-bike would have the caloric advantage as long as the battery lasted, but as soon as it was dead then you are pedaling around a lot of extra weight. If you can get a calories per/lb/mile of bike reference point you could figure out the number of miles past the battery dying at which you would have been better starting with an analog bike. Of course this leaves off a lot of other factors, but it would be an interesting talking point with potential bug-out bike buyers.
There's a guy in my town that runs an Ebike shop. And somehow makes a living at it. He became mayor. Not sure how. I guess I underestimate how many people buy these things. Seems ridiculous to me.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:53 am

ebikes make sense to me.

I was riding my -non-powered bike this last week (7/30) when I got hit by a truck.

I lived to tell the tale, but gong forward, I will likely need assistance as my knee is now pretty much fubar.

Not everyone is a 30 Y/O fit person. The ebike may just be the difference between riding (was some assistance) and not riding at all.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:59 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:53 am
I will likely need assistance as my knee is now pretty much fubar.
And that is exactly the case where they make sense, keep us updated. I'm hopeful that e-bike tech will improve pretty soon, but the current level is a bit underwhelming to me at least. From everyone I've talked to they are just fine for incidental use around town and for a little help when hauling cargo, the problem arises when you are conceptualizing them as a Bug Out Vehicle, as unless you are you have the infrastructure to recharge one en route or at your destination they could slow you down more then help. From talking to a few bike shops the problems arise when people use the motor to get harder places or simply further out then they could have done on their own, and then run out of juice and don't have the fitness or skill to get back.

riding off into the sunset is probably the least important ability of a bike, but having the option is one of the main selling points for me.

AK, Glock, Pie.

eugene

Post by eugene » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:38 pm

So I could be in better shape. Been on the beginner trail 4x now
https://www.mtbproject.com/user/200537067/eugene-nine
Its pretty short so I'm working on going a little faster each time and then will move up to the intermediate trail.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 pm

Outstanding thread. I saw this homeless guy in Florida with an impressive bike trailer combo. Home made and packed to the gills. I tried to get a picture but he wasn't having any of that.

The choice between rifle or water os one nobody should have to make. Rather than cutting the center our of your rifle, maybe you can fabricate a folding stock.

Back when I was a wee whelp, I remember Soldier of Fortune magazine ran an article about troops on motorcycles in Rhodesia and Namibia. This was the only photo I could find. Most of the Rhodesians kept their rifles across their handle bars.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 pm

The choice between rifle or water os one nobody should have to make. Rather than cutting the center our of your rifle, maybe you can fabricate a folding stock.
If you are referring to my cut-down 10/22 you should look again; It does not conflict with the fork mounted bottle cage. As for the cutting, I have several folding stocks and they are all noticeably heavier then my $10 wood stock, and cost much more as well. Weight is far more of a concern then OAL, and I feel the assumption that folding stocks are intrinsically more transportable is deeply flawed and does not survive closer scrutiny. While people seem to have a visceral reaction whenever they see that rifle, I can assure you the extra material is nothing but dead weight on a .22 and I wouldn't trade my hatchet job for most of the modern 10/22 gimmicks on the market. It takes a lot of carbon fiber and expendable income to build a lighter 10/22 then what you see there.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:47 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:39 pm
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:33 pm

If you are referring to my cut-down 10/22 you should look again; It does not conflict with the fork mounted bottle cage. As for the cutting, I have several folding stocks and they are all noticeably heavier then my $10 wood stock, and cost much more as well. Weight is far more of a concern then OAL, and I feel the assumption that folding stocks are intrinsically more transportable is deeply flawed and does not survive closer scrutiny. While people seem to have a visceral reaction whenever they see that rifle, I can assure you the extra material is nothing but dead weight on a .22 and I wouldn't trade my hatchet job for most of the modern 10/22 gimmicks on the market. It takes a lot of carbon fiber and expendable income to build a lighter 10/22 then what you see there.
Aha! With the bottle out I thought that the rifle has displaced two liters. Thanks for clearing that up.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:24 pm

I made it out last night, more testing of my gear and myself
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4024605679