BOV replacement shopping - it begins

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: BOV replacement shopping - it begins

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:36 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:Im more of a pickup guy. Had an 08 Dakota. Traded up to an 11 F350. Way more than youd need, but with crew cab theres a lot of room.

For SUVs Id go with a Jeep. More expensive than others, but thatd be my choice.
F350 won't fit in my garage though, the Jeep will.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Okay, so apparently this is really going to be a thing... :shock:

Jeep's 707hp Trailcat

And so is this... :shock: :shock:

Hellcat powered Jeep Grand Cherokee

The wife, however, has already said, "Hell No!" :cry:

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:46 am

KJ4VOV wrote:Yeah, the plates and hooks are standard on the Trailhawk, and one of the reasons I like that model. Just wish it had different seats, but I need to lose weight anyway. Hmmm... wonder if I could trade with another Grand Cherokee owner?
As a certified track junkie I actually really like the seats in the trailhawk... Could have used those in the turbo diesel Cayenne I had as a loaner when I was instructing for the local Porsche club a while back. That experience is what convinced us to get the diesel option in my wife's new SUV...looked at Audis, etc. but thought the Jeep gave us the best value for the $$. Loved getting 30+ mpg driving to and from the track, and having plenty of torque through the turns. Even though it was on all season tires that thing handles pretty well! I loved dropping guys in their Caymans and 911s after just a couple turns...In all fairness, I was leading the beginner's group when driving the SUV, but still. :lol:

I imagine those seats would be just as handy off road.

Don't think the wife will give up her 2-stage cooled and heated seats though...especially since the stitching matches the rest of the interior.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:09 am

KJ4VOV wrote: F350 won't fit in my garage though, the Jeep will.
Still a great choice.
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:54 am

A Mega Cab pickup perhaps?

I use Honda CRV and I'm waiting for the diesel version to launch locally.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:29 pm

BloodLust wrote:A Mega Cab pickup perhaps?

I use Honda CRV and I'm waiting for the diesel version to launch locally.
We ruled out pickups early on because one of the main criteria was that the full cargo space had to be inside the cab (so it was heated and cooled as required) because that's where the cats would have to go in a bugout.

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:57 pm

The Toyota Sienna has a 4WD model.
It can tow 3500 with the tow package but that's the upper limit.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:00 pm

And.... the Jeep shopping starts in a couple of weeks. We had been looking at the finances vs the payments we'd have to make and were starting to think a Jeep was out of our budget, but then the wife sat down and did some serious number crunching and came up with a plan. The plan had parts I didn't like (but she made me promise not to yell), such as borrowing a shit-ton of money but... with that money she's paying down our credit cards (which will boost our credit rating enough to get us a better finance rate) and leave us with a $10k down payment on the vehicle. We're also looking at gently used vehicles vs new (saw one that had 19 miles on it for $30k below MSRP). Right now I have my eye on a certain two-year-old Grand Cherokee Overland Summit with 9k on the clock for under $40k, with the 3.0 diesel, we'd just have to take a 12-hour drive to pick it up.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:55 pm

^

That's a good deal for a Grand Cherokee diesel, regardless of trim level, and a smokin' deal on a Summit. Well played!

Chrysler stopped making the diesels until the whole VW/every other diesel-producing manufacturor vs. the US gov't lawsuit dealio is worked out...huge demand on the newer ones in the secondary market right now. I get an offer for ours just about every week.

Re: the Jeep diesel, we've noticed a lot more turbo lag on ours since the last service and software "update"... Gonna ask them to reverse that next time it's in for service.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Glad to see some forward progress on this plan!
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 pm

One more day... :awesome:

Financing has been secured, down payment is ready, preliminary shopping has been done, Saturday we go to the dealer and talk turkey. If we can come to an agreement we may be bringing it home this weekend. :mrgreen:
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:23 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:One more day... :awesome:

Financing has been secured, down payment is ready, preliminary shopping has been done, Saturday we go to the dealer and talk turkey. If we can come to an agreement we may be bringing it home this weekend. :mrgreen:
Break their spirit.... :lol:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:11 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:One more day... :awesome:

Break their spirit.... :lol:
Their spirit was broken... very broken. :twisted:

Sticker price was $52k and some change... got it for $45k total, out the door price including taxes, prep, everything. Sucker has just about every bell & whistle you can get. :awesome:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:47 pm

:rofl: :clap:

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:03 pm

I won't say that LED fog lights combined with self-leveling HID headlamps and automatic high beams are the bomb but...

No...

Yes, yes I will tell you that!

:ooh:

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:54 am

K, congrats on getting such a great deal on an awesome BOV
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:38 am

JackBauer wrote:K, congrats on getting such a great deal on an awesome BOV
Thanks! I'm enjoying the hell out of this thing!

The wife and I had to drive from Fredericksburg, VA to just a little bit outside DC yesterday. I drove and we took I-95. I knew ahead of time there were slowdowns on it but it was still the best route. I sent our destination to the onboard nav unit from my phone while we were getting ready, opened the garage door with my remote, started the vehicle and had it set the A/C to max to cool it down while we were dressing. After we got on I-95 I engaged the Adaptive Cruise Control to 72 and let it take over the gas and the brake. The Lane Assist kept us nicely centered in our lane while the ACC kept us at a safe interval from the vehicle in front of us, braking and accelerating when needed. all I needed to do was keep a hand on the wheel and a foot near the brake to take over when needed. A couple of times I used the voice command button on the wheel to adjust the temp of the driver's side A/C, and turn the seat ventilation up or down. I used the controls on the back of the wheel to change stations on Sirius and adjust the volume level of the 500 watt amp (that sub-woofer really thumps your seat). We got there and drove back the same way but I had to answer a couple of texts that came in on my phone, which the system read to me and then transcribed my verbal replies. The dash display was helpful, with its current MPG and average MPG readouts, and we averaged 26 MPG there and back using the cruise control and with the vehicle air suspension lowered to "aero" mode. We needed to stop at the supermarket on the way home, so I dropped my wife at the entrance then let the electronics look for a parking space and then park the vehicle, with me just handling the shift and accelerator. I did have to tell it perpendicular parking and not parallel though. While I waited I opened up the double sunroof and blasted the Rolling Stone's Sweet Virginia and a few other songs. I had a service appointment at the dealer for 8:00 PM (faulty hood switch that will be replaced tomorrow) so I went over there and sat outside while they worked on it. Coming home is when I discovered the joys of the lighting system and I had to get the wife to go for a ride with me (in her jammies) to show her.

We've decided that her old pickup is going to be my truck now and that she'll use it for the big shopping trips and to leave at the train station when she has to take the train to DC, and we'll use the Jeep for smaller shopping trips and day trips to the mountains and Skyline Drive.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:53 pm

I'll say again--nicely done!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
ZS Wiki

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 pm

So, I've been thinking I want to install a winch...

https://www.justforjeeps.com/chief-hwm.html

https://www.justforjeeps.com/warn-zeon-10s-plat.html

I'd need a few other parts too, about another $280 worth, so about $2500 total, plus installation costs, call it about $2,800 total I figure.

Now, how to convince the wife...? :?

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:17 am

Buy me one, too. I'll do trial install on my JKU, then I'll do yours. :mrgreen:
-
ZS Wiki

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Beowolf wrote:Buy me one, too. I'll do trial install on my JKU, then I'll do yours. :mrgreen:
So, you're getting a WK2 also? Because this company only makes things for WK2 Jeeps.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by Beowolf » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Obviously not the salient point...

Nevermind.
-
ZS Wiki

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Beowolf wrote:Obviously not the salient point...

Nevermind.
Fine, be that way. See if I get you some nice addons for your Jeep when I hit the lottery. :mrgreen: :clownshoes:

Return to “Transportation”