It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:14 pm 

Hello ZS folks, in an older thread I charted some of the progress made to create the original DoomRunner BOV, here are a couple pics to remind you.

From this...

To this...

Now I loved the old DoomRunner, it has been relatively trouble free, though a new steering gear recently had to be purchased, but the handwriting was on the wall for it's demise. I began noticing the occasional odd engine noise and the tranny didn't always want to shift when it was cold in the morning. While he was a 1-ton van, it wasn't 4x4 and the 5.7 gas motor got 10 mpg regardless to use or care. Add in a serious need for a new drivers door, a leaking windshield, bad weatherstripping all around, and uneven tire wear?... it was going to be time to say goodbye soon.

I've been poring over Craigslist every day and finally found something very interesting.

Here was the ad...

"I am dropping the price on this van to $4500 for only three weeks (until 10/22) because I am moving and really don't want to move it. If I do not sell it for the $4500 firm I am going to take it and finish it. Now to the listing below.

Up for sale today is the find of a lifetime, I think. This is a 1986 Ford E-350 XL Econoline van with 4WD, and a 7.3 IDI Diesel engine with only 8000 miles on it. The engine, transmission, and transfer case where pulled from a truck with only 8000 miles so it's practically new. The van also has new front and rear axles, new radiator, new drivelines, newer 33" tires on Centerline wheels, new shocks front and rear, new springs, dual tanks(80 gallon capacity), and more. Transmission is the desired E4OD with all the wiring needed. The truck is not running at this time (hints the price) but I plan to start working on it soon and once I do the price will only go up. If I get it put back together and running I will sell it for $10-12,000, or I just might make it a Zombie apocalypse monster and throw it up on eBay for $80,000, and yes it will probably go for that. The last one of these "Zombied out" (on that auction site) sold for $85,000, and it didn't have the new drivetrain and was only a 6.9 diesel. This is your chance to buy this truck and make it your own, or have me build it to what you want, or build it yourself. This will make for an amazing hunting rig or crazy van camper.
Now for the bad. The van does have some rust around the gutters but nothing that cannot be repaired very easily. It only comes with the two front captain chairs, so there are no other seats other then those. The motor is NON Turbo so no turbo for you! Most of the work is done, it just needs to be wired and the body fully attached. I would give it about one week for someone that knows what they are doing. The truck will need to be towed or loaded. The body has 94,000 miles.
This van has a clean/clear Oregon title ready to go. I am not looking for any trades at this time at all, cash takes it and I am firm on the price so please not offers. I know what this truck is, what it is worth and I listed it a lot lower then market value in this condition. I live in Salem OR but I could deliver it up 40 miles from Salem if needed. I am listing this in the Portland Salem area for those who are looking for a great truck. This van is also Smog Exempt so no need to smog it or have to worry about it passing. You will still need to pay the tax but they do not test it. Please call if you would like to come see it.
Thank you.

To say I was interested was an understatement. I brought along a mechanic friend whom also rebuilds diesels on the side to inspect the rig. It was in better shape than I was expecting. The drivelines, radiator, etc; were all new. It was VERY clean underneath, no sign of being hacked apart, converted and rebuilt in someones garage. I asked the owner who did the conversion and he said "someone named Quigley I think, I forgot to put it in the ad".

:shock:

Wow, no wonder it looked professionally done. After my mechanic said that he thought almost everything was there to complete the van, I decided to pull the trigger. The owner was firm on the price, I respected that, and so didn't try to haggle before handing over the $4500 smackers.

Now I am the proud owner of the NEW DoomRunner XL! He's in bits and pieces right now but I hope to have him on the road within a few months. I will probably take the roof rack, front grill, and running boards off the old DoomRunner and put them on this new one. Two things that will be needed is a two to four inch body lift to clear the tires comfortably, and he'll also need a new 4" exhaust system, something loud and proud.

I'll update this thread when something is accomplished, and thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers.

-urban

Last edited by URBAN ASSAULT on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:07 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Really looking forward to this! Don't be shy about getting started early...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:54 pm 

I drooled over that EXACT van for quite some time. Glad it got a good home, excited to see what you build out of it!

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Great intro, looking forward to reading the build thread!

A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:33 pm 

RonnyRonin wrote:
I drooled over that EXACT van for quite some time. Glad it got a good home, excited to see what you build out of it!

How cool is that. Two ZS'ers lusting after the same ride! :D

It's gonna be a slow build 'cause of Mr. SubArachnoid Hemorrhage visiting me, but I'll get him done eventually.

-urban

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:44 pm 

Thanks so much, I'll surely keep you all updated. Before buying the DoomRunner XL I had a place ready to store it while it was being reconstructed, but that fell thru so everything is currently in limbo until I find him another home.

First chore(besides the above) is pulling everything out of the van, and doing a complete inventory to see what might be missing. The seller claims that it is all there, but I'm gonna believe it when I see it. The parts inside that we could get to were new, for the most part. The body is straight and clean, and we didn't find any mud in it(used a soft magnet). The only other rust we found, except for the gutters, was very small spots of surface rust. Nothing dramatic thankfully.

I'm a bit frustrated that we can't start working on it right now, but shit happens.

Thanks again for reading.

-urban

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:54 pm 

Dang that's a tall-ass ride, I'm gonna need a stepladder to get into it!...

:lol:

-urban

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:59 pm 

I thought the dual fuel tanks had an 80 gallon capacity, turns out that it's ONLY 60 gallons of diesel.

Think I might send it back to the seller now....

I keed, I keed!

:D

-urban

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:07 pm 

I really, really like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:16 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I enjoyed following your original thread, looking forward to seeing the new one come to life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:20 am 

ZMace wrote:
I enjoyed following your original thread, looking forward to seeing the new one come to life.

Thank you.

-urban

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:27 am 

For domestic stuff I've always been a Blue Oval guy. I can't wait to see how awesome this turns out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:36 pm 

Damn. That's rad, that motor is bullet proof and with only 8000 miles (if true) it's not even broken in yet! Really look forward to seeing this come along!

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:47 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
Damn. That's rad, that motor is bullet proof and with only 8000 miles (if true) it's not even broken in yet! Really look forward to seeing this come along!

"If true" are the most important words here. It all LOOKED very clean, not beat to death or worn out, but until we can get him fired up for the first time there is no guarantee I haven't just bought a $4500 planter box.

I believe I need a beer(or six).

-urban

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:56 pm 

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:
"If true" are the most important words here. It all LOOKED very clean, not beat to death or worn out, but until we can get him fired up for the first time there is no guarantee I haven't just bought a $4500 planter box.

So true! The Suburban I bought this summer turned out to have much more wrong with it than either my mechanic or I thought. I doubled my repair budget inside the first month just getting the big stuff taken care of and there's more yet to go. :( Fortunately, the remaining stuff isn't critical, so it's useable as-is right now.

I'm really digging your new DoomRunner XL! I considered looking for a Quigley, but they're too tall to fit into my garage, which would have meant parking it out at the street (I live in suburbia). I do love those big vans though - I learned to drive in a custom Chevy 3/4 ton my parents owned back in the day. *brief pause for nostalgia* Even if it does have more mileage on it, that diesel should run forever, particularly as it's the non-turbo version. Just don't expect to be winning any drag races in it!

Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Keep those pictures coming!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:42 am 

EBuff75 wrote:
URBAN ASSAULT wrote:

So true! The Suburban I bought this summer turned out to have much more wrong with it than either my mechanic or I thought. I doubled my repair budget inside the first month just getting the big stuff taken care of and there's more yet to go. :( Fortunately, the remaining stuff isn't critical, so it's useable as-is right now.

I'm really digging your new DoomRunner XL! I considered looking for a Quigley, but they're too tall to fit into my garage, which would have meant parking it out at the street (I live in suburbia). I do love those big vans though - I learned to drive in a custom Chevy 3/4 ton my parents owned back in the day. *brief pause for nostalgia* Even if it does have more mileage on it, that diesel should run forever, particularly as it's the non-turbo version. Just don't expect to be winning any drag races in it!

Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Keep those pictures coming!

Thanks so much EBuff75!

I had a 1990 Suburban 4x4 for a few years, but it nickel and dimed me to death. When I was told the front end needed to be rebuilt I sent it down the road. We still miss that old Suburban though, it was very solid and you felt safe when you drove it.

I'm hoping that some of that "safe feeling" comes from this new-to-us van when it finally hits the streets and trails. My mechanic might have found some shop space where we can put the DoomRunnerXL while we are reconstructing it. I would prefer a space close to his home so it is always on his mind and whenever he gets the urge he can go turn a wrench.

His payment is my 1971 Lincoln Continental Coupe, I introduced him to the car and he fell in love. He will forfeit all the labor needed to get the van running reliably and I'll provide any materials/parts that are needed. He's already planning on doing an engine swap, a new rear end, tires, wheels, etc for the Lincoln. It will completely kill me to see this ultra-rare car driving around town, but at 50 years-old I think I only have time left for one more automotive project, not two. I picked the one project that is the most practical for all my needs.... but I'm gonna really miss my old Linc.

:cry:

-urban

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:39 pm 

Personally I'd give some thought to making it quiet. No sense advertising you are approaching.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:07 pm 

URBAN ASSAULT wrote:
I had a 1990 Suburban 4x4 for a few years, but it nickel and dimed me to death. When I was told the front end needed to be rebuilt I sent it down the road. We still miss that old Suburban though, it was very solid and you felt safe when you drove it.

I'm hoping that some of that "safe feeling" comes from this new-to-us van when it finally hits the streets and trails. My mechanic might have found some shop space where we can put the DoomRunnerXL while we are reconstructing it. I would prefer a space close to his home so it is always on his mind and whenever he gets the urge he can go turn a wrench.

His payment is my 1971 Lincoln Continental Coupe

You seem to have identical vehicular preferences as I do. I think we might be in the same-ish geographic area, I hope to see you driving the Doomrunner XL at some point :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:16 pm 

Time to throw some more pics up...

Rear interior after it was brought to the shop where I'm storing it...

All the crap on the ground so we can see what we have to work with...

Finally emptied!

It's been sitting for so long(with a bad windshield gasket :( ) there is a bit more interior rust than I wanted...

Underdash is not pretty...

Four or five spots on the roof gutters are really bad, gonna have to do extensive metal repairs/rustproofing there...

Went to a local boneyard, found these mirrors which I prefer to the ones on there now. When driving a van you live by how good your mirrors are and these will give me more flexibility...

Also found this fiberglass drivers-side equipment hatch on an old Ford ambulance, had to have it too...

Front tire is off, looking at what needs replacing...

We can find no evidence of a collision, so this must have been broken while out trailing, then home-repaired. The passenger-side is in perfect condition so I think this will be replaced eventually. Better safe than sorry...

I don't have pics yet but I have already swapped the original rear barn doors out for a set that was on the old ambulance. The new ones have vented windows, which will nice in the summer.

I'm also doing some measuring to decide if I want to tackle converting my original side slider door to barn doors. I don't care for sliders on vans at all, they limit your tire size and have a habit of wearing out, but the work involved is pretty daunting. On the upside, the boneyard owner said that he'd sell me the donor barn door parts(and any surrounding sheet metal/pillars needed) for $100 and my old slider, so it is an option. I might make that a summer project, still undecided about it.

My mechanic has been a wee flaky lately when it comes to work ethic, so I'm gonna have to crack the whip on him or find a new mechanic to finish the work. It doesn't help that his shop is attached to a house full of skell meth heads either. I am nervous about leaving my van and parts with reach of these guys, but for now I'm stuck with it.

Thanks for watching the thread.

-urban