Bug Out Cart Resource Thread

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

My BOC would most likely be a

Game Cart
26%
Wheel Barrow
6%
Jogging Stroller
18%
Lawn Cart
6%
Dolly/Hand Truck
6%
Custom Build
38%

Total votes: 34

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Bug Out Cart Resource Thread

Post by NT2C » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 pm

YEOLDOAK wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:20 pm
2mm wall thick Tube, I'd like it to float for river crossings not sink :)
May I suggest you fill them with foam then? It will give a slight boost to the buoyancy. I would also take a file or sander to the ends and smooth them so they don't take a chunk out of any leg that encounters them.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

3cyl

Post by 3cyl » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 am

I think I'd build a Chinese Wheelbarrow
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/12 ... arrow.html

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm
Look at the game cart/shooting seat by Discount ramps. I own one and plan to make a gun cart ad on for it.
Great resource Zed Hunter! Game carts have a lot features useful for bugout treks

here:
https://search.discountramps.com/search ... f=&cnt=300

And Here:
https://www.discountramps.com/throne-co ... /p/THRONE/

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:23 pm

I like that the tires are solid. Cart is rated for 500 lb. The way the seat fastens for sitting then as flat deck for hauling provides two points to attach home made accessories

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:31 pm

teotwaki wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 pm
Zed Hunter wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:19 pm
Look at the game cart/shooting seat by Discount ramps. I own one and plan to make a gun cart ad on for it.
Great resource Zed Hunter! Game carts have a lot features useful for bugout treks

here:
https://search.discountramps.com/search ... f=&cnt=300

And Here:
https://www.discountramps.com/throne-co ... /p/THRONE/

That’s pretty cool...looks like mixed reviews, but those sre typically more heavily weighted towards folks who have problems. Any issues with yours?

Actual field use yet by any chance?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 am

Not yet. I bought it because I can't stand for long periods of time. Osteoarthritis of the knees. It converts back and forth very easily.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 pm

YEOLDOAK wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:53 pm

The technical drawing which I work from

This is super rad, I love the router, might have to try that.

I will keep beating the drum though, any cart with the load split between the wheel and the user is more work then a cart with the load balanced over the wheel. I assume you will have a harness of some sort? If not the load carrying capability of your arms is far less then your back and hips. If you are dead set on a pull-cart over a push cart though the load splitting is probably a necessary evil, at least for a single wheel.

keep us posted!
Last edited by RonnyRonin on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:54 pm

This is super rad, I love the router, might have to try that.

I will keep beating the drum though, any cart with the load split between the wheel and the user is more work then a cart with the load balanced over the wheel. I assume you will have a harness of some sort? If not the load carrying capability of your arms is far less then your back and hips. If you are dead set on a pull-cart over a push cart though the load splitting is probably a necessary evil, at least for a single wheel.

keep us posted!
Wheel placement choice may have come about because of the option to use the cart as a bike trailer.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

YEOLDOAK
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by YEOLDOAK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:44 pm

This trailer is being designed to be as versatile and adaptable as much as possible,
within the constraints of how its being made.
The swing arm can be adjusted on its rotational axis to any position,
allowing it to fold, change from a pull trailer to a push trailer, whereby you fold
it over on itself, placing the load chassis directly over the wheel, it will have a fox shox air shock
unit that has an adjustable position mount at one end and a QR lever mount at the other,
this allows for different length shocks to be fitted and easily disconnected so as to fold
or reposition the trailer into its new configuration if needed. A full pannier will go over the
wheel with a pals panel throw over saddle style for attaching pouches etc, mainly water
and heavy items over the wheel.
All hollows in the tube will be filled with an expanding foam, this will give good flotation,
add strength and reduce fatigue of the alloy.
The load chassis will have a number of cross braces, for support and load hold but also
to act as rungs or steps, so can be used as a ladder or bridge if needed.
The rectangle box tube will have velcro loop on the outside surfaces for placing
Cyflect reflective tape, which is photoluminescent and retroreflective,
it reflects light from its surface and glows in the dark, should you need to go stealthy
it can be removed easily being on velcro.
Wheels, change from a single wheel to a twin wheel, fit various size wheels from 20" up to 26"
The swingarms can be adjusted to suit wheel axle widths, without effecting suspension shock
position or load chassis position.
The hold handle bars will have a curved upwards end, grip tape and a bar end gear shifter which
will actuate the hydraulic brake, part cable and hydrauilic hose, as being a gear lever it will
have a push and hold position, therefore the brake can be set to on giving hands free,
handle bars can be extended,adjusted, rotated to suit user, removed via a QR collar,
trailer can be adjusted to users height also.
A MOLLE 2 or FILBE shoulder straps and waist belt fitted to DEI 1606 external frame, with a strap and
rigid loop,a couple of Kong Frogs to connect to the trailers handle bars and waist belt,
I chose these as they have the quick removable shoulder straps, the Kong Frogs are also
quick release, handy in a desperate situation.
Walking poles will clip to the handle bars for quick access, tethers for gloves, a mudguard that folds
down and gets fixed to the wheel for use as a ski when in snow.
There's plenty more to add to this but whats noted is the highlights of where its going so far,
and the swing arm pictured is far from finished.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Been planning on buying one of these for a while ...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SY400_.jpg

And one of these ...
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg

So lately I've been thinking about making them one and the same. Probably by adding a hitch to the base of the basket, and some sort of jack between the wheels and the basket. Allowing me to lift the basket to the hitch level, back onto the cart, and then lift the wheels off the ground for driving, suspending the basket from the hitch.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:41 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 pm

So lately I've been thinking about making them one and the same.
What about this fella: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Uriah-Produ ... /206160584

share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:52 pm

I'd go for something custom built, but if I had to go ricky-tick right NOW, and couldn't use my Burb, I'd hook the old kiddie trailer up to my bicycle.
If anything happened and I had to detach the bike, the trailer has a stroller handle and castering front wheel, so I can push my peanut butter and collection of .22 uppers all the way to... hell... not sure where I'd go if walking. I'd better work on that.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

Return to “Transportation”