My vehicle

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kitsune
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's Dawn, Dawn remake, Shaun, Romero's Night, 28 Days later.

My vehicle

Post by Kitsune » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:41 pm

I was thinking of getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee for my first vehicle. Somewhere around the late 1990's, nothing to new. Ups and downs of the vehicle would help, does anyone know any?

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:19 pm

Gas mileage = horrible.
A regular cherokee can do everything a Grand cherokee can, for less.
I love my cherokee, but my next ride is going to be a pickup.
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Tomcat1066

Post by Tomcat1066 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:39 pm

jamoni wrote:Gas mileage = horrible.
What are you defining as horrible? My 1996 Grand Cherokee manages about 19mpg in town.

Also Kit, it is one of the sweetest riding vehicles I have EVER driven. If you can get a good deal on one, you damn sure should snag it. Not to discount jamoni's advice about a Cherokee. I've never driven one, so I don't know if the ride is as nice, or how they relate in gas mileage.

Also, I suspect that a Cherokee may be found for a bit less than a Grand Cherokee, but I don't know. I got a sweet deal on my GC, so a Cherokee wasn't an option for me ;)

Tom
And the general consensus of who I am?
Doctor Z. wrote: D. Tomcat ends up drinking some form of frothy, fermented, adult beverage from Lordrahl’s skull.
:twisted:
I like it :mrgreen:

zpindus

Post by zpindus » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:51 pm

The Grand Cherokee is a pretty good pick. I have two cars. I have a 1990 Jeep Wrangler, 5 speed with the I4, and it's alright.

But I also have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a 5.2v8, and she is the greatest. Awsome going off road, and perfect for snow. The gas milage isn't the greatest, but when your getting an SUV, what do ya expect.

wolverine

Post by wolverine » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:52 pm

I owned a cherokee for years and traided it in for my Wrangler. I loved it. It drove nice and had enough power to do what I want in it to do. I never got it stuck and did take it off road a lot. It had enough room for what I wanted it to do and Cherokees and GC can be found all day pretty cheap.

there are a lot of after market parts to address your needs. I do not have any cons except it may be short of space in the back due to the spare tire in the back. The only thing I ever had to replace was the water pump.

Kitsune
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's Dawn, Dawn remake, Shaun, Romero's Night, 28 Days later.

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:52 pm

I have here in my happy little hands a classified ad that I found in the Sanford herald I purchased this morning. 1996 Gand Cherokee 2wd, looks and runs great, $3500, and the number to contact the guy.

I think I will take a look at that thing.

-Kit

Tomcat1066

Post by Tomcat1066 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:57 pm

Kitsune wrote:I have here in my happy little hands a classified ad that I found in the Sanford herald I purchased this morning. 1996 Gand Cherokee 2wd, looks and runs great, $3500, and the number to contact the guy.

-Kit
Do you have $3500 for it? If not, I'd wait until you have the cash to do some serious car shopping.

But that's just me.

Tom
Doctor Z. wrote: D. Tomcat ends up drinking some form of frothy, fermented, adult beverage from Lordrahl’s skull.

artyboy

Post by artyboy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Kitsune wrote:I have here in my happy little hands a classified ad that I found in the Sanford herald I purchased this morning. 1996 Gand Cherokee 2wd, looks and runs great, $3500, and the number to contact the guy.

-Kit
Doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of getting a Jeep to get it in 2wd?
Prepare for the most likely first. Once you've got that covered THEN you can start to prepare for the worst.

Tomcat1066

Post by Tomcat1066 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:03 pm

Depends on your area. Mine is 2wd, but has more ground clearance than most everything else I come across. In soft or wet ground, I'm screwed, but on rocky terrain, I'm golden.

Mostly though, I got mine because it was a good deal and could haul plenty ;)

Tom

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:10 pm

I dont mind that it is 2wd because it is just my first vehicle, and my step dad has a pretty good paying job (about $20 an hour, 10 hours a day, 5 days a week), and I am pretty sure we can work out a deal for the payments.

I just like it because

A- Its a damn Jeep
B- Cherokees have more space than wranglers
C-Its a Jeep

-Kit

hk33k

Post by hk33k » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:43 pm

Buddy of mine has a 94 2wd 4.0 Cherokee. It gets good mileage(22+/-), can tow way more than you would think and is tough as any thing. Unfortunately, he has gotten stuck in his own backyard while trying to park a small boat and trailer. He also can't take it to the dump because of getting it stuck(I loan him my truck for that now.) On the pluss side, the damn thing has over 210,000 miles on it with almost no work done to it.
Pat
0-1-25

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:46 pm

If you get a 2wd, you'll probably wish you had 4wd in about 3 months... tops.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:20 pm

My Cherokee gets about 19-20 mpg as well, but it's four wheel drive. I'm not knocking the Grand Cherokee. They're cool.
For your first car, though, I'd get a 4 cylinder pickup. You'll thank me later. Why? Cause you can help hot girls move away to college. :)
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Hell yeah I can, and if I get accepted to where I applied, I can help hot chicks a lot more, god I love zombies.

-Kit

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:37 pm

I have a 99' Cherokee. Going back and forth to Missouri, I got around 320-340 miles out of a tank, loaded down with all of our gear for Zcon(ammo and guns too) and with myself and one other person in it. I owned a Wrangler for 3 years before this and I can say I trusted the Wrangler better when it came to going off road but, you just can't beat the better cargo(and people) space of the Cherokee.
jamoni wrote:For your first car, though, I'd get a 4 cylinder pickup. You'll thank me later. Why? Cause you can help hot girls move away to college. :)
Word.
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:53 pm

Last edited by grand94jeep on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:44 am

Honestly I would say wait until you can find a good 4x4 Grand. I own an 01 Grand Cherokee 4x4. The older model ones like your looking at are nice and the 4x4 version can be had for not much more than your looking to pay now. My opinion is, if you buy a jeep for the name, atleast get the 4x4 because, well thats how they got their good name.
Zombies man.....They creep Me out. - Dennis Hopper Land Of The Dead

LaserCool
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido.

Post by LaserCool » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:02 pm

hk33k wrote:Buddy of mine has a 94 2wd 4.0 Cherokee. ...the damn thing has over 210,000 miles on it with almost no work done to it.
+1 on the I6 4.0. That motor's dammed near bulletproof.
"Can you consider an article 'peer-reviewed' if the 'peers' you associate with are busily prepping for an impending zombie apocalypse? Damn right you can! :D"-DannusMaximus

Hawk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Post by Hawk » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:49 pm

another backer for the 4.0 engine.

between a grand cherokee and a normal cherokee, you have to know what you want your ride to be like, the normal cherokee's do better offroad but ride a little rougher because they have a solid front axel with a short arm suspention (which can be upgraded with Rubicon Express parts) The Grand Cherokee rides a lot better on the pavement and does good offroad, but has an independent front suspension, so if you want to put a lift kit on a grand cherokee, it's about double the price as a regular cherokee. I've got a 99 Cherokee and I'm happy I bought it, I would never trade it for a grand cherokee (they're like 4x4 minivans, IMO) but when it comes time to buy another vehicle, I'm going to get a Grand for the wife, it'll never leave the road, since I've already got a Cherokee and other projects. She could use a 4x4 minivan....

Steev

Post by Steev » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:30 pm

I currently own
1981 CJ5 304 V8 on 33s
1989 Cherokee Limited with a swapped in 4.0HighOutput I6
1990 Cherokee Limited with a Renix (pre 91) 4.0L
1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a 4.0Highoutput I6

I know Jeeps and Cherokees..

A Cherokee Limited (leather, power everything, etc) is better than a Grand Cherokee Laredo or Base model in luxury in my opinon.

The grand has a higher stance and a nicer ride with its coil suspension front and rear.

Only recent (last 6? years) Grand Cherokees are independant front suspension.

The cherokees sag in the rear..

4.0L highoutput engines exhaust manifolds ALL crack eventually..
My 1989 has a 1990exhaust manifold on it for this reason.

I would go with a 1992+ limited Cherokee with a tow package and not bother with a 2wd.. 4wheel drive is like a condom better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
-S9teev
"Theres no 9 in Steve"
"It's a silent 9"

SKS, 10/22, 870P, 1911, AR15, TT33

Hawk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Post by Hawk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:58 pm

I agree with everything he just said. Even my 99 sagged a little, then when I put the speaker box in, it just gave me an excuse to lift it!

Maybe Steev can help me with my decision on whether to go SUA or SOA on my 76 CJ7...

Return to “Transportation”