It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:05 am 

Stercutus wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to stuff the 5 cylinder ford diesel in an F150 now that they are stateside for the Transit vans. I'm also pensively waiting the economy figures from the new titan, I wish it the best but I'm not expecting anything magical.

I am hearing 24-28 hwy. 28 would be amazing and would require intensive computer control. The wife manages 24mpg easily with her V8 gas car.

Which car make/model would that be?

Guns are icky!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:12 am 

velojym wrote:
When we were kids, my older brother had a Chevy Luv (Isuzu P'up) that seemed to us to get outstanding fuel mileage.

Everyone remembers the milage, no one remembers the power. 58 HP and 93 FT LBS. completely unacceptable by todays standards. The 4d55t in my 'yota was probably making 80 HP and it was hopelessly underpowered, 0-60 in 20-30 seconds if I remember right. some might call it dangerously underpowered.

chills1994 wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I am hearing 24-28 hwy. 28 would be amazing and would require intensive computer control. The wife manages 24mpg easily with her V8 gas car.

I'm guessing one of them newer cars that shuts off cylinders when you aren't using them, I've heard some pretty impressive numbers from GM V8s.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:22 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

My 2001 Tacoma with a v6 was almost dangerously underpowered before the TRD supercharger. But I do know where you are coming from, between my parents and brother they had 7 or 8 Toyota trucks from the early 80s until about 2000.

For those comparing diesels to the big gas motors in 3/4 or 1 ton trucks it is apples and oranges. The gas motors have nowhere near the torque curve that the diesels do and their mileage is much worse. Load them up and it barely impacts the diesel mileage but the gas mileage gets hammered.

RonnyRonin wrote:
velojym wrote:
When we were kids, my older brother had a Chevy Luv (Isuzu P'up) that seemed to us to get outstanding fuel mileage.

Everyone remembers the milage, no one remembers the power. 58 HP and 93 FT LBS. completely unacceptable by todays standards. The 4d55t in my 'yota was probably making 80 HP and it was hopelessly underpowered, 0-60 in 20-30 seconds if I remember right. some might call it dangerously underpowered.

chills1994 wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

I'm guessing one of them newer cars that shuts off cylinders when you aren't using them, I've heard some pretty impressive numbers from GM V8s.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:29 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

2 yards of 3/4 inch gravel and a skid steer to move the 10 dumped in the driveway. My truck averaged 14 mpg over 30 miles at 65 with that load and I had plenty of power to pass a 5.7L Tundra going up a long hill without downshifting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:46 pm 

B9ev wrote:
For those comparing diesels to the big gas motors in 3/4 or 1 ton trucks it is apples and oranges. The gas motors have nowhere near the torque curve that the diesels do and their mileage is much worse. Load them up and it barely impacts the diesel mileage but the gas mileage gets hammered.

agreed, once you're talking HD pickups it's a different ball game, I'm trying to fight the "small diesel as peppy commuter that can also tow a medium sized planet" myth. I'm constantly impressed by what large diesels can do, up front cost and weight seem to be the main complaints I hear. I lived in the toyota diesel swap dream land for many years but I think I will just buy a turn-key full sized diesel when the time comes.
Unless of course these 1/2 diesels prove to be the cat's meow, I won't be able to afford one until they've had 10 years to prove themselves anyway. I'm pretty sure the dodge 1500 is getting better MPGs then the hilux/world ranger, we'll have to see on the titan and colorado.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:34 pm 

Just wanted to share: I ended up buying a 2016 GMC Canyon with the 2.8L I4 turbo diesel. So far it has 1,200 miles on it and I haven't seen less than 20mpg, with over 30mgp on the highway occasionally. The torque is amazing, it will light the tires up no problem. The horsepower is a bit low, so it loses it at the top end, but it's still plenty fast. Especially considering it has 500+ pounds of tools and gear in it.

I plan on giving it a mild lift for 33" off-tires and putting an suv-style camper top on it. Eventually I'll probably throw a winch bumper and LED off-road lighting on it as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:21 pm 

Hand calculated or by the computer?

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 pm 

chills1994 wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
RonnyRonin wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to stuff the 5 cylinder ford diesel in an F150 now that they are stateside for the Transit vans. I'm also pensively waiting the economy figures from the new titan, I wish it the best but I'm not expecting anything magical.

Little late but it is Dodge Charger.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:39 pm 

RonnyRonin wrote:
Hand calculated or by the computer?

Hand calculated, though I've found the computer to be accurate to within half a mpg + or -.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:23 am 

well then color me doubly impressed, I wouldn't have counted on that good of economy or that accurate of a computer. gives me hope for the future!

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:18 pm 

RonnyRonin wrote:
well then color me doubly impressed, I wouldn't have counted on that good of economy or that accurate of a computer. gives me hope for the future!

It actually took some getting used to. I went to put gas in it at the end of the work week like I did with my old truck for years, and realized it only took $10 worth because I still had more than half a tank. I must have an extra 200 miles worth of range with the same size tank.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:36 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I can't speak for all makes but for the last decade or so computers on Ford, Porsche, and Honda have been within a half mpg of hand calculating. I almost think the computer is more accurate. Hand calculating doesn't account for a lot of variables whereas the computer has to know exactly what is going into the engine to optimize combustion.

RonnyRonin wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:57 pm 

B9ev wrote:
I can't speak for all makes but for the last decade or so computers on Ford, Porsche, and Honda have been within a half mpg of hand calculating. I almost think the computer is more accurate. Hand calculating doesn't account for a lot of variables whereas the computer has to know exactly what is going into the engine to optimize combustion.

RonnyRonin wrote:

How so? assuming the meter on the pump is accurate and your odometer is accurate how could you mis-calculate by hand? obviously you aren't getting instant mileage feedback but the average for the whole fill up should be spot-on.
most of the computers I've met (not many) where off by a whole number at least.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:35 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

The pump doesn't account for the difference in volume due to temperature. Also the amount of pressure to stop the pump varies from pump to pump, station to station.

RonnyRonin wrote:
B9ev wrote:

RonnyRonin wrote:

How so? assuming the meter on the pump is accurate and your odometer is accurate how could you mis-calculate by hand? obviously you aren't getting instant mileage feedback but the average for the whole fill up should be spot-on.
most of the computers I've met (not many) where off by a whole number at least.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

B9ev wrote:

RonnyRonin wrote:

The trucks lie-o-meter is notorious to be wrong in the 6.4, once you account for tire size and everything else, you will notice it being off substantially. My lie-o-meter constantly tells me I am getting 23mpg on the highway empty with 31's, yet when hand calculated I am getting at best 17mpg. Do not go by the lie-o-meter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:07 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I am not sure about your situation but my 6.4 is about a half mpg from hand calculating. My parent's (used to be mine) is similar. Same with the different newish gas motors I have owned. I think the lie o meter is a thing of the past.

Edit: both trucks have deleted dpf and egr. One has an H&S, the other an Edge. Both are calibrated for tire size and axle.

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:
B9ev wrote:

RonnyRonin wrote:

The trucks lie-o-meter is notorious to be wrong in the 6.4, once you account for tire size and everything else, you will notice it being off substantially. My lie-o-meter constantly tells me I am getting 23mpg on the highway empty with 31's, yet when hand calculated I am getting at best 17mpg. Do not go by the lie-o-meter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mine has always had the best of everything. Studded, deleted, Spartan tunes, 71mm atmo (now a single turbo truck) suncoast trans, nitrous, so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:27 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I thought I recalled you had quite a few mods. My current truck does have studs replaced as well. Very curious about your impressions on single turbo. And quite honestly, there are tanks that are single digits due to poor driving habits of mine.

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:
Mine has always had the best of everything. Studded, deleted, Spartan tunes, 71mm atmo (now a single turbo truck) suncoast trans, nitrous, so on and so forth.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:43 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I currently have an S467, however I am selling the S467 and going larger with even more fuel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:04 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

How is lag compared to the sequential turbos?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:54 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

havent had a chance to run it, I bought the kit, while my trans was out being rebuilt. I am still awaiting it to come back. but those that have the 467 say its a hair laggier that a compound but it has so much more pull than the compounds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:54 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

havent had a chance to run it, I bought the kit, while my trans was out being rebuilt. I am still awaiting it to come back. but those that have the 467 say its a hair laggier that a compound but it has so much more pull than the compounds.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:56 pm 

Bought the wife a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L ecoDiesel. It's an impressive engine in the GC. Power is great. Drive ability is great. Mileage is phenomenal.... especially compared to the 2009 GC with the 5.7L Hemi she had before... glad to trade that gas guzzling 11mpg SOB in... The 3.0L is averaging 23mpg for her daily commute. I've gotten 31mpg on the only hwy trip we've driven it on so far. Just turned 4500 miles so we hasn't even got to the first oil change yet and we already love it.

That said as great as the new GC is, I'm not sure how great the little 3.0L Diesel will be in a full sized 1500 pick up truck... which is a lot bigger and heavier than the GC. I considered buying one anyway... like the engine that much but the Ram 1500s are very expensive (for something nice) and my current 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 gets 22mpg hwy and averages 16mpg for my daily commute. Good power with the 5.3L 6spd and mileage is decent for a gasser. With it just turning 30,000 miles, it's got a bunch of life left and will be paid off before I hit 100K miles easily. It'd take a long time if ever to come out even trading the Sierra in now on a comparable trim level new Ram with the 3.0L Diesel.

I'll reconsider when the Sierra is well over 100K miles and I'm ready to buy a new truck anyway... but my 03 Avalanche lasted me 200K miles and 10yrs... and it's new owner is still driving it daily.... So I've got a little while for other mfgrs to get their 1/2 ton Diesels out to market. I'll be watching them carefully and hope that they can make Diesels successful in this market.
Will

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:36 am 

If you want to know what the power difference will be like, put 1,100lbs in the back of the Cherokee and drive around. That's the weight difference between the Grand Cherokee diesel and the crew-cab short bed Ram. It's definitely not a rocket ship, but it does ok and people report similar fuel economy to what you're seeing with the GC.