It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:39 am 

I just hope they are not lying this time, because I really want one.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016 ... -official/

I think most people are not familiar with the Titan. It has a huge back seat and is a good running truck. Sales were awful. It never was promoted and did not compete well. Also made a weird exhaust noise under power.

A 5.0 Diesel might be just thing to bring it back.

Quote:
The diesel in question is the long-awaited 5.0-liter V8 from Cummins, producing 310 horsepower and 555 pound-feet of torque, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. When properly equipped, the Titan XD can tow up to 12,000 pounds, and has a payload capacity of 2,000 pounds.

“No-one likes us, we don’t care.”

Last edited by Stercutus on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:43 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Interesting, I have always been a fan of Nissan.

I wonder how this will compete with Dodge's 1500 diesel...

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:24 am 

Interesting. In the USA as far as pickup trucks are concerned its hard to compete with the Ford, Chevy and Dodge. Its the only thing the US auto industry gets right and regularly beat foreign auto companies on. You are right about Nissan not promoting the Titan much. There are tons of ads for the Nissan Pathfinder and Xterra, and Nissan has been really pushing those NV commercial vans but you rarely hear about their pickups. Toyota's seems to push their Tundra and Tacoma pickups, but the sad thing is even though I am big into cars and trucks with Nissan I literally had to look up the name of their mid sized pickup because I forgot what the name of it was. Its the Nissan Frontier BTW.

For the record the Dodge Ram 1500 has had a V6 Diesel option.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

Also GM Sierra and Toyota Tundra are suppose to come out with Diesels in 2016, I just wish they don't drop the idea now that gas in the US has gotten cheaper.

That said what I want to see is more mid-sized pickup coming out with diesels, like the ones that are overseas and unfortunately popular with ISIS, al Qaeda and the Taliban. Supposedly the Chevy Colorado and the Toyota Tacoma will have Diesel options in the US in 2016.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:59 pm 

Hopefully this is part of a bigger trend in producing small displacement diesels. Diesels have come a long way in last few years in terms of noise/vibration/emissions, etc.

Love to have one in my Land Cruiser, some do engine swaps just to get one in there. Irritates the US LC guys that you can get a diesel LC everywhere but in the US. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:23 pm 

Mikeyboy wrote:

For the record the Dodge Ram 1500 has had a V6 Diesel option.

Fixed the title.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:40 pm 

One interesting thing about the new Nissan diesel (called the Titan XD) is that it's actually a 3/4 ton truck, as the GVWR is (just barely) over 8500lbs. It uses the Titan body, but underneath it's a lot of 3/4 ton Nissan Van parts. The whole idea behind this truck was to slot in between the heavy half tons and true 3/4 ton trucks. That being said, I'll be very curious to see where it is price wise when it's released. Nissan sells so few trucks I'm thinking they'll have a tough time competing with the prices on the true 3/4 tons.

Personally, I'm looking at the new GMC Canyon diesel coming out next year. 2.8L I4 Duramax should be capable of over 30mpg easy, while still being able to tow 7,000lbs or carry over 1,500lbs payload.....and unlike the full size trucks, I can still do things like:
  • Fit it in my garage
  • Reach down into the bed to grab something
  • Drive on the narrow Jeep/ATV trails in the woods near my house
  • Park in the city without losing a side view mirror

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:51 pm 

I still want the damn Toyota Hilux. I have a 1 ton F350 diesel, a Hilux would probably replace my everyday car. Give it a small 2-3L TDI (but don't call it TDI or feel the wrath if VW). You'd have a car that would sell millions.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:14 pm 

Halfapint wrote:
I still want the damn Toyota Hilux. I have a 1 ton F350 diesel, a Hilux would probably replace my everyday car. Give it a small 2-3L TDI (but don't call it TDI or feel the wrath if VW). You'd have a car that would sell millions.

Having driven the Hilux and other pickups overseas, I'd actually rather have Ford's T6 Ranger. It's the best of the midsize pickups by far. If they sold it over here with a diesel I'd buy one right now, and I don't mean that jokingly.

The Hilux is, quite frankly, heavily outdated and they charge an absurd amount of money for them. I'm not the only one to have this opinion either....the Ranger started outselling the Hilux in South Africa for the first time in 34 years and it's gaining a lot of ground in other world markets (like Australia).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:12 am 

Unfortunately it's still a Nissan with anemic axles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:55 am 

Dooms wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

Having driven the Hilux and other pickups overseas, I'd actually rather have Ford's T6 Ranger. It's the best of the midsize pickups by far. If they sold it over here with a diesel I'd buy one right now, and I don't mean that jokingly.

The Hilux is, quite frankly, heavily outdated and they charge an absurd amount of money for them. I'm not the only one to have this opinion either....the Ranger started outselling the Hilux in South Africa for the first time in 34 years and it's gaining a lot of ground in other world markets (like Australia).

That is interesting. I never understood why Ford didn't bring back the Ranger to the US market sooner. Back in 2009 when gas got expensive here in the USA executives said there wasn't a market in the US for compact Pickups. Now they changed their tune with Chevy and GMC introducing compact pickups in the US market and supposedly they are testing the viability of reintroducing the Ranger to the US market but its still years away. Honestly Tacomas have sold well in the US for years, the chevy Colorado pickup is reaping the benefits of good sales.

Diesel in the USA on the other hand is a racket. It seems other then larger commercial vehicles no car manufactures wants to produce them for the US market...the only exception is German car companies, like VW, BMW, etc. I'm surprised we haven't seen VW Amarok in the US market yet.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/diesel-ma ... 1537258379

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:07 pm 

This Cummins engine was originally slated for the Dodge 1500. Back when Dodge and M.B. went their separate ways, Cummins bailed out on Dodge due to the unknowns of what would happen. Nissan was happy to pick up the pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:39 pm 

I think the ranger went away because there was too much overlap with the F150, my buddy had one of the last models of rangers, sold it and bought an F150 only a few years newer. guess what? he has more horsepower, better fuel economy, a roomier interior and only gave up a little peppiness off the line. The Hilux is such a beast because it has to fill more roles in markets that don't really have full-sized pickups, but really I don't know that it would do any better then the tacoma if it had to compete in the american pickup market. Most Aussies I've heard from would rather have a ranger (or a "Yank-Tank" american full size), typical grass is greener situation. In america the ranger overlaps with the F150 maybe 80-90% in power, fuel economy, and even size. With the average difference in fuel price and the added upfront cost of the diesel, you might not return on investment until we have cold-fusion powered personal flying powersuits.

I've had a few odd diesel contraptions and they never get AS good of economy as you would expect or have AS much power as you think they should. After researching hundreds of different swaps, rare vehicles and work-arounds there just isn't any free lunch, and the best turn-key available is going to be 95% as good as the sweetest foreign car or project you can dream up. You just have to decide how much that extra 5% is worth.

word I've heard is ford will release a compact pickup for the commercial market, probably with one of those tiny turbo gassers they like so much, but guess what? it will be built off the transit connect, and be a front-wheel drive uni-body. Not the beast we want, but way more practical.

I'm waiting for someone to stuff the 5 cylinder ford diesel in an F150 now that they are stateside for the Transit vans. I'm also pensively waiting the economy figures from the new titan, I wish it the best but I'm not expecting anything magical.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:25 pm 

RonnyRonin wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to stuff the 5 cylinder ford diesel in an F150 now that they are stateside for the Transit vans. I'm also pensively waiting the economy figures from the new titan, I wish it the best but I'm not expecting anything magical.

I am hearing 24-28 hwy. 28 would be amazing and would require intensive computer control. The wife manages 24mpg easily with her V8 gas car.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:28 am 

Hell my F350 1ton powerstroke got over 20mpg when I was driving down to our camp out with the 005 guys.... Why is it that the VW TDI's are getting nearly 70mpg (of course that's being babied), seriously though the little diesel rabbit I think gets amazing mileage. Get something like that up it on a light truck body and you'll have a real seller. It doesn't need to be a race car, just moderately powerful, torque, and able to haul a semi decent load, also have a good size tank.

Oh dream land I love you.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:27 am 

Halfapint wrote:
Hell my F350 1ton powerstroke got over 20mpg when I was driving down to our camp out with the 005 guys.... Why is it that the VW TDI's are getting nearly 70mpg (of course that's being babied), seriously though the little diesel rabbit I think gets amazing mileage. Get something like that up it on a light truck body and you'll have a real seller. It doesn't need to be a race car, just moderately powerful, torque, and able to haul a semi decent load, also have a good size tank.

Match that MPG to the F350 6.8L Gas engine and you only get about 10 Miles per gallon, with a little less power compared the Diesel version. With small cars, unless you go Diesel or hybrid, I don't think many average more than 40mpg. Even the Tiny Smart Car gets only 34/38 mpg. At the end of the day, diesel will almost double the MPG when compared to similar gas driven vehicle in the same class.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:44 pm 

Mikeyboy wrote:
Halfapint wrote:

Match that MPG to the F350 6.8L Gas engine and you only get about 10 Miles per gallon, with a little less power compared the Diesel version. With small cars, unless you go Diesel or hybrid, I don't think many average more than 40mpg. Even the Tiny Smart Car gets only 34/38 mpg. At the end of the day, diesel will almost double the MPG when compared to similar gas driven vehicle in the same class.

Quite simply, No.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/jetta?engineconfig_id=13154&bodystyleconfig_id=&submodel_id=

Guess how many TDIs are actually getting 70mpg? maybe one that got the all the seats pulled out, had major aero mods, was driven down hill with a tailwind. 40mpg is the real world numbers, most drivers cannot do better then 50mpg in ideal conditions. 30mpg (gas) compared to 40mpg (diesel) is a significant increase but not double. I've had two different diesel 4x4 toyotas and neither could break 30mpg and both were anemic. I don't think the typical hilux or diesel ranger break 25mpg very often, which sounds pretty good compared to the 14mpg you might get with something like a 3.0 gas yota or a gas ranger, but I can get over 21mpg with my 3.4 4runner, (automatic no less) so an increase of 20% ish does not make the midsized diesel the magical unicorn the interwebs try to make it.
My brother spent a harvest season in AUS with a diesel hilux, and couldn't do better then low 20's, even on a long trip.

A guy I worked with went from a V8 2wd dodge to a cummins 2wd dodge of similar make. he has a long commute that has stayed the same for years, he went from 14mpg to 23mpg, (an increase of 64% if I am correct) once again significant, but not double. and as of this post, diesel is 32% more then gas nationwide and even more in my AO.

The new Ram 1500 can get 28mpg. People are mentally comparing it to their old V8 that got 12-14mpg when they should be comparing it to a new V8 (like my buddies F150) that can get 23mpg, or fords turbo 6 that can creep towards 25mpg.

Me and my brother have researched diesel swaps out our ears, owned a few and talked to a lot of swap owners. as much as we try to get away from it, a 12V cummins is pretty much the only motor worth swapping for economy and power. Anything else is a disappointment or cost prohibitive.

AK, Glock, Pie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:21 am 

I saw that Dodge 1500 commercial last night about their new diesel too.

$$$$31K

Too bad it's about 10 years too late :(

As to the new V8 getting 23 miles per gal-- I have a 2009 5.4L and the only time I get 21-23 miles per gal is when I'm on the freeway in the slow lane. If the RPM's go over 1700 it drops to 19.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:37 pm 

Im more impressed an import finally got a decent payload rating. 2000lbs is absoultely minimum. Bear in mind that is 150lb driver and everything else comes out. Say you zs reponse team is 4 200lb men with 40lb packs and 10lbs of weapons. Go for a 1 day cruise and have 2 days extra emergency food and water 200lbs. 100 lb german shepard and you are left with 700lbs for cargo not too bad! Compared to all these years of imports (and even domestics) having a rating of 1500lbs or less!!

My 1 ton is rated at 3500lbs, when i hook my RV up (800lbs tongue weight) and all my gear and people i still worry about hitting that number. I should have gone with duals but that is a lot of extra money, worse off road, more tires to buy, worse mpg, wider etc

Lots of people argue the gas vs diesel. In most applications assuming you have equal maintnance costs (diesels can have very costly issues) the up front cost, added fuel cost make 150-200k the normal break even point. Few people keep a vehicle that long.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:05 am 

all the talk about rangers and their fuel efficiency.
my pops has one a 4 cyc manual, gets 28 mpg and had 200k+ miles.. its a 03.
no f150 gets that kind of mileage.
they killed the ranger cause they wanted to sell a more expensive product to make more money.
if the three big "really" wanted to make a fuel efficient truck what about a hybrid diesel micro truck like a ranger or canyon ( they wont cause the american truck market would think its a joke)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:21 pm 

They don't make Rangers here anymore do they? I had back in the early 90's (first car) and it got great mileage. Hauled my surf boards and a couple buddies. It did everything I needed it to. Wish I still had it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

When we were kids, my older brother had a Chevy Luv (Isuzu P'up) that seemed to us to get outstanding fuel mileage.
Compared to my '74 K10 with a 350/350 with a leaky carb...

A diesel Colorado, though... oooooooh. Between the range and ability to more easily/safely store fuel, all it needs is to prove itself reliable and I'm all in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:01 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

JPBeck wrote:
They don't make Rangers here anymore do they? I had back in the early 90's (first car) and it got great mileage. Hauled my surf boards and a couple buddies. It did everything I needed it to. Wish I still had it.

Nope, ford abandoned the small truck market after they did the research and found out most ranger customers would buy a F-150 if the ranger wasn't around.

Even the other trucks left in the segment the ranger used to occupy have gotten as big as a mid-90s F-150:
The S-10 is gone, replaced with the Colorado.
The Tacoma is a mid-size truck now.
The Frontier is a mid-size truck now.

I don't know why but everyone decided we didn't need small trucks anymore :(

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:38 pm 

IIRC the four banger Ford motor had trouble taking mountains in Colorado. Not very helpful to have a truck that goes up steep hills at 40MPH on the interstate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:15 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

So did the 4-banger Tacoma and Frontier and S-10 and Sonomas. the Rockies are no joke. You downshift and rev high. Semis are only doing 40 as well.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."