Trick My New Ride

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Trick My New Ride

Post by Stercutus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Christmas came early this year.

:clap:

I plan on using it for hunting, pleasure riding and riding around the place as lord of the manor tending to the goats, llama, orchards and whatnot. It is dark so I may post some pics in a couple of days when I am off.

I am new to ATV's so I am thinking this thing needs a winch and a gun rack. Any other ideas?
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Trick My New Ride

Post by RickOShea » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:44 pm

Follow the break-in recommendations in the manual for the first 10 hours/60 miles (no more than 1/2 throttle, vary the throttle, don't let it idle for long periods unless its in neutral, etc., etc.).
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:10 am

First thing you wanna do when you buy a Polaris is: take it back/sell it and buy something that starts with "Yamaha" or "Honda"...

Just kidding, that's a beautiful machine you got there. I would leave it as is, buy a gun rack for the front and a cargo box for the rear (one of those ones that doubles as a back rest) and you are set!!

When it comes to breaking in engines of any kind, there are 2 schools of thought:
1. Break it in like you plan on driving it. If you drive hard, push it hard from the get go, and vice versa
2. Listen to those educated people in the manual and do it gentle

Normally I agree and go with #2

Edit: With the prices of LED light bars plummetting recently (thanks China), I would look into getting a 12 inch on the front for some extra light. If you can't get a good deal, get regular old halogen spot lights because with a good beam, they will do the job just the same. The Gold standard is Rigid Industry brand, but they fetch a premium. Honestly ant lights with CREE and aluminum housing will be "light years" ahead of light technology just 10 years ago.

Edit Edit: I'm thinking of too many things after the fact... Look up "rock crawling LED lights". You mount them under your fender flares and they light up your tires so you can see what wheels, etc are getting traction and which ones can be in danger. Something to consider depending on your terrain and use
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Those rock crawling lights look like a good idea. Based on where I plan on using it I have discovered hand guards will likely be a good idea.

I have not pushed the throttle over 40MPH yet I will have to go somewhere with more land to really stretch the legs on it. I can't even give it anywhere near full throttle from the line without near falling off the thing. It is way faster than I first figured especially off the line. The last time I drove an ATV Reagen was president and 25 MPH was about all it had.

A larger storage box does sound like a good idea but it will need to solid enough to put game animals on without issue.
Shall be my brother

JackBauer
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the Night of the Dead series
I Am Legend
28 Days Later
Walking Dead (tv series)

Post by JackBauer » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Wonderful toy! We rode the Xp 900 in Vegas, polaris does things right. My only concern is safety. Do t have ey make aftermarket roll based s for that model?
A person should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,. .., build a wall, set a bone, take and give orders, cooperate, analyze & solve problems, fight efficiently, die gallantly RH
http://johnfoberg.blogspot.com/

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:07 pm

JackBauer wrote:Wonderful toy! We rode the Xp 900 in Vegas, polaris does things right. My only concern is safety. Do t have ey make aftermarket roll based s for that model?
I've seen a couple of aftermarket anti-crush bars for ATVs. But if you want a roll cage, better to stick with UTVs (like that RZR or Ranger you mentioned).
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:33 pm

They make a different model called the "Ace" that comes with a roll cage.

I have a lot of experience on bikes, on and off road. ATVs handle seem to me to handle a bit like a really awkward, oversized bike excepting the whole four wheels...
Shall be my brother

Return to “Transportation”