How much fuel in your BOV?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kellikastle

How much fuel in your BOV?

Post by Kellikastle » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 am

How much fuel do you carry in your BOV, how do you carry it and how many miles can you go without acquiring additional fuel?
My BOV currently has a stock 34 gallon tank and two 20 gallon tanks in the bed, 1 under the tool box and 1 inside of the box. The fuel gets “rotated” but both aux tanks are kept full all the time. It is a diesel and a bit of a fuel hog at 13/14 MPG without a trailer or heavy cargo load. I can pump from one auxiliary tank into the main tank while on the move. To pump from the second aux tank I have to stop and switch the valve on the aux fuel lines.
With all three tanks at full I have a range of approximately, 962 miles more than twice the range of my most remote supplied fall back location. With only the 2 aux tanks full my range is approximately 520 miles.
I am keeping my eyes open for a big transfer tank, 90+ gallons, to replace the currently installed dual aux tanks.

Norwegian

Re: How much fuel in your BOV?

Post by Norwegian » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:58 am

Old BOV (diesel, 8-10l/100km) had a 70 liter tank and 20 liter jerry can in the trunk, new BOV (gas, 8-10l/100km) has 60 liter tank and at least a 10 liter can in the trunk, i still have to figure out what i can fit in there. Not much, but enough for my uses.

Disclaimer: I know you guys do not like fuel cans in the trunk, i have considered that and take necessary precautions.

offcamber

Post by offcamber » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:30 am

I have 2 metal jerry cans that get carried/strapped on an overhead roof rack on my BOV for extra fuel.

I also have dedicated holders on my 69 Jeepster Commando and my 77 F150, but I don't consider those reliable BOV vehicles, more for backwoods weekend fun or working around the property.

Paladin1

Post by Paladin1 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:08 pm

I have a 25ga. tank and can have 2x5gal cans as my std load out. But I have another 3x5gal cans I could carry.

But there are many variables if you want to talk range, the first and foremost is how much weight your piling in. Then the terrain, on-road/off road, etc.

My goal is to be able to get a couple hundred miles away, have some fuel to run the generator (yes, I'll be taking one) and then be able to get back.

If you have a specific BOL, with potential for re-supply then that makes it a different proposition.

If it's so bad that I'm not coming back, then of course I'll to max out fuel carrying capacity.

I always keep around 20gals stashed, in the winter even more. With getting around 14-15mpg on the road in the Land Cruiser, a full tank and 20gal. gets me about 650-675 mile range.

More than enough to get out of the way of most disasters and then back home.
WWSD?

Return to “Transportation”