BAE Caiman MRAP: info needed

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

BAE Caiman MRAP: info needed

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Saw one parked outside our local Sheriff's office, and found out the next county also got one through the 10-33 program. I'm not sure, but I think these are the first CMV-weight trucks either has got in their inventory. Wiki says these are 14-ton, so they are 2 tons lighter than the garbage trucks I've been driving for the last year. What do I need to know about these? I would love driving for our local tactical teams.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

TacAir

Re: BAE Caiman MRAP: info needed

Post by TacAir » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:46 pm

top heavy, but unless you have IEDs in your AO, no big. visibily is usually for shit, so a spotter for backing and tight spaces....

You must live in one hellofacounty, if the law has to pack that much heat...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:52 pm

They are super easy to drive, but you have to be careful. They like to roll over so watch your speed. The bumpers also have some sort of cosmic magnetism that makes you hit stuff, but because of the size and weight you may not notice. If you have the RPG cage then your problems will multiply.

Caimans are my favorite MRAP variant...

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:34 pm

TacAir wrote:top heavy, but unless you have IEDs in your AO, no big. visibily is usually for shit, so a spotter for backing and tight spaces....

You must live in one hellofacounty, if the law has to pack that much heat...
The Feds are giving this stuff away so LOTS of poe dunk SWAT teams are jumping on the bigger is better looking like an infantry team in Afghanistan band wagon.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:56 pm

10-33 program is moving lots of these to LEO duty all over the US.

Lots of silly griping from guys that don't habla officer safety.

Need more than one of these to suppress an uprising.
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:10-33 program is moving lots of these to LEO duty all over the US.

Lots of silly griping from guys that don't habla officer safety.

Need more than one of these to suppress an uprising.
On the other hand, give a man a hammer, and every project suddenly involves throwing a flashbang into a sleeping child's room, putting said child in NICU for several months while SWAT members hold rifles on the parents and siblings while searching for a small quantity of narcotics belonging to someone who did not live at the address.
Last edited by Doctorr Fabulous on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:41 pm

^This.
Sorry, officer safety is in fact NOT more important than avoiding using a sledgehammer to kill a fly...or even looking like you use one to kill a fly.

ETA- And the Caimans suck to drive. Try one of the Max Pros instead. Smoother ride, better view, and the A/C kicks ass. Warning: It is more top heavy than Dolly Parton. :awesome:
Last edited by LowKey on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:42 pm

'Free' MRAPs is kind of a misnomer. Lots of time and maintenance for a piece of equipment like that (like getting a free boat ).

While lots of rationalities have been thrown out there by Sheriffs they usually translate to, 'oh man this thing is badass! Let me come up with a better reason real quick if someone asks that sounds better' :rofl:

Anyway, this isn't new. In many locales the MRAPs are simply replacing old M113's acquired under the same program.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:03 pm

I've talked to a deputy buddy of mine about one of the MRAPs our sheriff has, when I asked what it was for, he replied "Hurricane duty". And then a conversation about how badass it was to drive it, so I'd have to agree with the "this is badass, let me come up with a reason to have it" as the purpose for most of these. I do wonder if there's a more cost effective choice for hurricane duty vehicles, but oh well.

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Couple of gallons of paint for the windows and a Molotov or 3 :wink:

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:I've talked to a deputy buddy of mine about one of the MRAPs our sheriff has, when I asked what it was for, he replied "Hurricane duty". And then a conversation about how badass it was to drive it, so I'd have to agree with the "this is badass, let me come up with a reason to have it" as the purpose for most of these. I do wonder if there's a more cost effective choice for hurricane duty vehicles, but oh well.
Actually inclement weather is a very good use for these. I recall reading an article about a small town whose Sheriff's dept had an M113 (presumably for SWAT/ERT). One of the only times it was used 'live' was during a snow storm. Nothing else could get down the roads and they were able to delivery vital medication and other supplies to an elderly woman on the boonie outskirts of the county.

But yes, probably that incident alone is what everyone else is hanging their hat from, ha.
Dave Merrill

Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:37 pm

jeepinbandtrider wrote:Couple of gallons of paint for the windows and a Molotov or 3 :wink:
Come on, you know better than that...
Dave Merrill

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 am

I just have to wonder if maybe a few big pickup trucks would be more cost efficient for dealing with flooded streets, of course, then some people might be saying that the police are becoming rednecks and racist instead of militarized. :awesome:

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:14 am

If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:52 am

I see ours getting a lot more use in bad weather, too. Just wait till they miss the road and need to be pulled out of a ditch. LT at our sheriff's office said they had been advised to 'pour thicker concrete whereever you're parking that thing.' Guess it didn't occur to them that it was, in fact, a 15+ Ton vehicle. They break a lot of shit.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Kutter_0311 wrote:I see ours getting a lot more use in bad weather, too. Just wait till they miss the road and need to be pulled out of a ditch. LT at our sheriff's office said they had been advised to 'pour thicker concrete whereever you're parking that thing.' Guess it didn't occur to them that it was, in fact, a 15+ Ton vehicle. They break a lot of shit.
They're heavy.
They will damage the area where they're parked unless it's designed for heavy equipment(I've been watching the footings and slab for an MRAP storage facility being built this week, one of the reasons is that they destroyed the slabs on which they were stored previously).
They're prone to tearing up and damaging stuff in areas that they're driven, such as cars and structures (driver error, but common enough).
They're fuel hogs.
They're expensive to maintain.
They get stuck easily and require heavier equipment to recover.
They're designed to deal with IEDs and RPGs......does your county have a problem with proliferation of those? :roll:
They create an impression of stormtroopers in armored vehicles to significant portion of the population.....that's got to be good for community-officer relations, right? :wink:

What are the upsides again?
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:00 pm

"But we got them for free!" :mrgreen:

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Those armored F250 quad cabs that contractors in Iraq roll in would have made a more fun cop truck. MRAPs are not super fun vehicles. I was pretty nervous every time I drove one. It wasn't all that hard to drive, but the bumpers attract everything.

Kutter_0311

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah, not that different from the garbage trucks I've been driving for over a year now. Same weight class, but I bomb around residential areas doing trash collection. Pretty sure my truck has better visibility.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:00 am

feedthedog wrote:Those armored F250 quad cabs that contractors in Iraq roll in would have made a more fun cop truck. MRAPs are not super fun vehicles. I was pretty nervous every time I drove one. It wasn't all that hard to drive, but the bumpers attract everything.
I was thinking several 1116/ 1114 or an even lighter version like the 966 (without the TOW) would be infinitely more useful for most sheriff's departments than an MRAP. Any anchored five ton truck with a shelter will weather a hurricane just fine.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:08 pm

But of course a few bad incidences cover up thousands of perfectly legal, perfectly successful swat and police missions. stop feeding into the anti-police bullshit that is going through the U.S. If you are following the laws then why would you give a second thought to the cops? Do mistakes from the police happen? Yes. its called human nature. humans make mistakes.
2008 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke -Zombie Squad fleet number ZS0149
Owner of Zombie Diesel Performance
"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:14 pm

ZombieSoldier01 wrote: If you are following the laws then why would you give a second thought to the cops? Do mistakes from the police happen? Yes. its called human nature. humans make mistakes.
These two lines are contradictory, particularly when considering that police mistakes generally end with law abiding citizens dead or hospitalized.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:23 pm

im not going to argue this, but look at facts man, they arent there to go out and harrass joe snuffy, or whoever. As i said. Mistakes do happen, but if you are obeying the law, then why worry about the cops. If you spend your whole day worrying about the cops newest toys, then I suggest pushing yourself away from the computer, and locking yourself in the basement, because cops are EVERYWHERE!
2008 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke -Zombie Squad fleet number ZS0149
Owner of Zombie Diesel Performance
"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:29 pm

ZombieSoldier01 wrote:im not going to argue this,
And yet you posted anyway.
ZombieSoldier01 wrote:but look at facts man, they arent there to go out and harrass joe snuffy, or whoever. As i said. Mistakes do happen,
I agree. Most cops aren't shitbirds. I also agree that mistakes happen.
ZombieSoldier01 wrote: but if you are obeying the law, then why worry about the cops.
Because mistakes happen and people die. I just said that.

Return to “Transportation”