2000 Ranger + 2007 Jeep Wrangler BOV builds?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

PhunkyMunky

2000 Ranger + 2007 Jeep Wrangler BOV builds?

Post by PhunkyMunky » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:42 pm

So, I've got a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 (4" lift with 33's) and an '07 Wrangler Sahara (4 door) that I'm wanting to build on for a BOV. I've some ideas I want to do, one of which involves a trailer to tote behind one vehicle or the other with an off grid capability.

We HAVE a place to bug out to. It's got a cabin on it, and this next week we'll be adding a bath house and windmill to it.

Thing is, crap happens and you don't always get where you want EXACTLY when you would like to. If we need to spend a short time off road some place, it'd sure be nice to be able to do alright until we get to a BOL if bugging out is the situation.

We'll start with ideas for the Ranger.

It's already lifted and it's a 4.0L V6. I need to regear it and lock the rear (powertrax?) and I want to add a decent front bumper with a winch, and a nice rear bumper with shackles and hitch. This just makes off road travel a bit better, as well as pushing cars out of the way a bit more pleasurable. Adding air will be nice as well for inflating/deflating tires. I have a truck box already on it, but it's smaller than I'd like. Have to get a bigger one... Beyond that I'm open to suggestions for whatever else.

Jeep.... It's my wife's baby, Mothers day present, she's been telling me she wanted a Jeep since she was 16, so 15 years into our marriage I finally got her one. I know I'd like a rack on top and a decent front bumper. Beyond that I'm at a loss as to what else to do. She's got 33's also same tires as my truck Toyo M/T's.

For a trailer I mostly need the ability to set up from scratch if, say, I have to winter over some place before I can get to my BOL but can't stay here at the house. It'll need the ability to use power tools, air tools (nail-guns etc) and carry that which doesn't fit on either the truck or Jeep.

My thoughts on what I'd LIKE to do when traveling are that my truck will go ahead to scout, letting the Jeep, and Family, safely avoid dangerous issues.

Anyway, I know this post is spotty, but it's basically for stating what I'm trying to do and to ask for ideas/suggestions... Budget should be middle class reasonable.

Thanks!
"History is littered with wars which everybody knew would never happen."—Enoch
Powell, Member of the British Parliament

RollinWOT

Re: 2000 Ranger + 2007 Jeep Wrangler BOV builds?

Post by RollinWOT » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:13 pm

I like Rangers. I have a '98 Ranger XLT as my daily and my BOV. Mine isn't lifted because I like a low center of gravity, but it does have 31" MT tires. I suggest checking out therangerstation.com. They have a lot of good info on offroad Ranger builds. I would pick up a full size spare if you don't have one already. Do you have pictures of your truck and jeep so we can make suggestions?

MachineGunMonkey

Post by MachineGunMonkey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:58 pm

I have a '07 Wrangler Unlimited. I just put on a 2.5" Teraflex lift (the spring kit, not budget-boost). It was only $730 and a great way to tuck 35" tires under the Wrangler while replacing parts of the aging stock suspension, as well. You can get air-compressors that fit under the hood for about $70. I assume the Sahara has the 4.10? I've replaced my front and rear bumpers, as well. Really, the Wrangler is very capable as-is unless your bug-out location is hiding behind anything past a 6-rated trail. I'd just take the Wrangler to your BOL location and then decide on what you need.

Coal-Cracker

Post by Coal-Cracker » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:35 pm

MachineGunMonkey wrote:... I assume the Sahara has the 4.10?...
Based on when his '07 was built, he *may* have been lucky enough to get the 4.10s. If it was an early build in '07, there is a very good possibility 'cause at that point 4.10s weren't restricted to just the Rubicon. At some point in the JK's introductory year, Jeep switched to 3.21s or 3.73 being standard on Saharas and Sports/X. One way to check would be for the OP to contact Jeep and ask for a build sheet based on his VIN.

From '08 to current, the only way to get the 4.10s on a JK is to buy a Rubicon. (In 2014, you now have to specify 4.10s if you order an auto Rubi, otherwise you will get 3.73s.)
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

MachineGunMonkey

Post by MachineGunMonkey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:15 pm

Yeah, I got lucky and my '07 X has the 4.10 due to the tow package.

Return to “Transportation”