Why should I buy one gas can over another

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Blacksheep

Re: Why should I buy one gas can over another

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:19 pm

It's done, bit the bullet before I could talk myself out if it
I'm excited to get some gas prep going... And my OCD will enjoy the cans
But I just feel like I got punched in the gut ordering it haha
I never fit in. That's my role in life, to be the outcast.

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Ok so while I'm picking brains

I have 2 generators
1-10,000 watt gas sucker 4 stroke

I also have a tiny 800 watt harbor freight special that's 2 stroke
Would it be wiser to store fuel mixed or mix as needed?

Common sense tells me mix as needed that way the gas can be used in either
But does 2 stroke mix store better? That could change the equation

Assuming I mix when needed, I'll probably buy a single gallon gas can, keep the nasty 2 stroke crap out of my good cans

And then here's another question

You said it's best to keep gas under 70f
That makes sense

It likely gets up to 90 here in the summers
I was planning on storing in the (detached) shed

But the thought occurred, you mentioned that theses things put out almost zero vapors
My gear room, stays a chilly 60-70 something nearly all year round

Normally I would consider the idea of gas in the house folly
But if they seal as well as some claim, it perhaps deserves some consideration

Would also add an element of op sec to the gas stock

Thoughts?

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:08 pm

what is the floor in the shed? can you dig a 'gas celler' in it to keep the temp more constant?

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:16 pm

emclean wrote:what is the floor in the shed? can you dig a 'gas celler' in it to keep the temp more constant?
Concrete slab

So I would prefer not to haha

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

ksbsnowowl

Post by ksbsnowowl » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:57 pm

I was going to suggest buying from http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/red-20-liter ... 12909.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ; that's where I just bought three from last week. They also have some deal going for free shipping if you spend over $99. These are Wavian cans, and they are red (which some states require for gasoline cans). They have yellow spouts for $15 (cheapest I've seen since I started ordering cans last month), and red spouts for $20.

However, I see that you've already purchased your cans, and it sounds like you ordered from Wavian. As others have pointed out, there are cheap chinese knock-offs out there; you want to make sure you get the real deal (coated inside, recessed weld, etc).
Rebel Pariah wrote:
williaty wrote:
Rebel Pariah wrote:Significant or minor difference in shelf life?
Very significant. Gas with even 10% ethanol in it loses between 50% and 75% of its storage life.
Wow :shock:

So what kind of shelf life are we talking with pure gasoline 90 octane ( I remember that higher octane lasts longer, but that could be because it has less/no ethanol)

And then, do I still stabil it?
A really good thread on this topic is the Fuel Can Oracle over at AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b ... 7&t=643480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I learned a lot reading those 30+ pages.

The ethanol-free gasoline lasts much longer than that with ethanol. Individuals in the above thread mentioned storing ethanol-free gasoline for over a year without stabilizers, and it works just fine. I now have six jerry cans, and intend to fill them and use them in a 2-month staggered rotation, so when I use a can and then fill it, I'll next empty that can into my gas tank one year later.

Although it sounds like you've found a good location to fill up with ethanol-free premium, for the benefit of others I wanted to point out the website http://pure-gas.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which will help you locate ethanol-free gas filling stations around the country.

Edit: On the storing of the cans in the shed. That's all I plan to do, store them in the shed, and KC right now is reaching -15 at night, and in the summer will reach 100+ during the day. One of the posters in that Fuel Can Oracle thread did some math on the internal pressure of the can at the coldest of the cold Minnesota winter to the heat of a Death Valley summer. It shouldn't be a problem for you so long as the can is kept full. Do not store them partially full, only empty or full.

Storing gasoline in your house or attached garage is a very bad idea.
The lion sings and the birds take flight,
The moon by day and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool,
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:00 pm

ksbsnowowl wrote:I was going to suggest buying from http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/red-20-liter ... 12909.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ; that's where I just bought three from last week. They also have some deal going for free shipping if you spend over $99. These are Wavian cans, and they are red (which some states require for gasoline cans). They have yellow spouts for $15 (cheapest I've seen since I started ordering cans last month), and red spouts for $20.

However, I see that you've already purchased your cans, and it sounds like you ordered from Wavian. As others have pointed out, there are cheap chinese knock-offs out there; you want to make sure you get the real deal (coated inside, recessed weld, etc).
Rebel Pariah wrote:
williaty wrote:
Rebel Pariah wrote:Significant or minor difference in shelf life?
Very significant. Gas with even 10% ethanol in it loses between 50% and 75% of its storage life.
Wow :shock:

So what kind of shelf life are we talking with pure gasoline 90 octane ( I remember that higher octane lasts longer, but that could be because it has less/no ethanol)

And then, do I still stabil it?
A really good thread on this topic is the Fuel Can Oracle over at AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b ... 7&t=643480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I learned a lot reading those 30+ pages.

The ethanol-free gasoline lasts much longer than that with ethanol. Individuals in the above thread mentioned storing ethanol-free gasoline for over a year without stabilizers, and it works just fine. I now have six jerry cans, and intend to fill them and use them in a 2-month staggered rotation, so when I use a can and then fill it, I'll next empty that can into my gas tank one year later.

Although it sounds like you've found a good location to fill up with ethanol-free premium, for the benefit of others I wanted to point out the website http://pure-gas.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which will help you locate ethanol-free gas filling stations around the country.

Edit: On the storing of the cans in the shed. That's all I plan to do, store them in the shed, and KC right now is reaching -15 at night, and in the summer will reach 100+ during the day. One of the posters in that Fuel Can Oracle thread did some math on the internal pressure of the can at the coldest of the cold Minnesota winter to the heat of a Death Valley summer. It shouldn't be a problem for you so long as the can is kept full. Do not store them partially full, only empty or full.

Storing gasoline in your house or attached garage is a very bad idea.
Yea I figured gas in house was a terrible idea, just figured if they seal as well as claimed...
But none the less

I tried vtsurplus the cans count as oversize and don't qualify for free shipping
Oh well

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

ksbsnowowl

Post by ksbsnowowl » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:02 pm

Rebel Pariah wrote: Yea I figured gas in house was a terrible idea, just figured if they seal as well as claimed...
But none the less

I tried vtsurplus the cans count as oversize and don't qualify for free shipping
Oh well
Odd, I got the free shipping on those cans last week.
The lion sings and the birds take flight,
The moon by day and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool,
Let the Lord of Chaos rule!

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:45 pm

What I do on the fuel storage is empty one Jerry Can a week. Doesn't matter what I use it for, I just use it. I then take it up to the gas station when I go to town, refill it, and put it at the back of my fuel stockpile, rotating everything else forward.

My method, I've got 60 gallons of gasoline on hand with no need for stabilization - oldest gas is < 3 months stored.

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 am

That's kinda what I was thinking about doing
But the price of jerry cans makes that quite costly
Maybe I'll add a can every month or so

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 am

Rebel Pariah wrote:That's kinda what I was thinking about doing
But the price of jerry cans makes that quite costly
Maybe I'll add a can every month or so
I keep telling myself that prepping is a marathon, not a sprint.

I went with 12 cans because that's how many full 5 gallon gas cans you can legally transport without running into federal legal issues. Local regulations can further restrict that though, so check local listings.

Gunwriter
Favorite Zombie Movies: anything with Ash in it....

Post by Gunwriter » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Wavian cans are made by Valpro of Latvia. Good cans and I have a few of them.
You can save some money though by buying brand new European manufacture
NATO Jerry cans here:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/nato-metal ... an20l.html

These are nicer than the Wavian/Valpro cans and are only $34.99 with free shipping
on orders over $99

PrepandMore.com also has them at $34.99 but without the free shipping
http://www.prepandmore.com/brands/Jerry-Can.html

Here some good info on their Jerry cans
http://www.prepandmore.com/jerry-can-information/

Nick Adams

Post by Nick Adams » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:46 am

For gas storage I use old US military steel "jerry" cans, these are very common and is easy to get a nice used one for $5 if you check flea markets and auctions. Check inside for rust, holes etc. and that they have good lid seals. I have two of the NATO type cans but I don't see to many of them out an about. I sort of like them a little better mainly because of the spout, I keep one in my old truck.

This is my actual experience on gasoline going bad.

Years ago when I got a new car I parked my '93 Honda beside the house, had over 200,000 miles but ran good when parked, had just under 1/2 tank of gas.. Just regular gas. Car sat for about 3 years, gave it to a friend. Had to put a new battery in , pump up a tire and clean out a squirrel nest from air filter. Car started right up and ran fine. Idled and ran fine. I drove it for a few days and if performance was affected sure didn't show it. When I put new gas in it I couldn't see any difference. My friend put another 50,000 miles on it

The car I replaced it with was a '97 Honda, I parked it for about 1 1/2 years before giving it away. Again no trouble with the gas that sat in it during that time and car ran the same.

I used to buy old cars, mainly VWs, have more then a few times bought an old car out of a barn etc. start it up and it ran fine on the gas in the tank that sat in it for god knows how long.

From my experience I think to much is made about gasoline going bad especially in under a few years. I have an old Toyota 4X4 truck that fill up with gas from my storage stock. I don't drive it much. Probably works out that I rotate my gas supply every couple years

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:37 pm

And for those that think overkill is the only kill, there is stainless steel jerry cans and diesel.

http://jerrycandepot.com
Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

Blacksheep

Post by Blacksheep » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Those are a pretty good deal actually

ATEi

RIP- FiftySticks

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:59 pm

MasterMaker wrote:And for those that think overkill is the only kill, there is stainless steel jerry cans and diesel.

http://jerrycandepot.com
FDA approved it says, but nothing about DOT approval.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:55 am

Gunwriter wrote:Wavian cans are made by Valpro of Latvia. Good cans and I have a few of them.
You can save some money though by buying brand new European manufacture
NATO Jerry cans here:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/nato-metal ... an20l.html
According to the UN mark on those cans they're made by GELG in Poland. I'm offering this as info, not as any sort of caution. I'm sure they're great cans.

http://www.certipedia.com/quality_marks ... ?locale=en
http://gelg.pl/en/production/jerry-cans

There's a video of their production line here (with a Polish voiceover):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDqrxMX9E5I
Rebel Pariah wrote:I have 2 generators
1-10,000 watt gas sucker 4 stroke

I also have a tiny 800 watt harbor freight special that's 2 stroke
Would it be wiser to store fuel mixed or mix as needed?
I don't think you ever got an answer to this one.

I've heard from 2-stroke motorbike riders that 2-stroke mix has a very short life once made up, measured in weeks not months. Your generator (and mine) may be less picky than a motorbike, but even so I'd suggest storing the fuel and oil separately and only mixing when you need it.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:09 pm

Talking of jerry cans (as we were 11 months ago, doesn't time fly when you're having fun), here's a photo of two 10 litre (roughly 2 gallon) jerry cans:

On the left, a no-name Chinese can I bought from eBay. On the right, a Wavian can. On top of the Wavian can is the spout that came with the Chinese can.

The eBay purchase was a bait-and-switch; the photo was of a Wavian can, and the price was good, so I ordered two. When they arrived they clearly weren't what was advertised. I complained to the seller, and after a bit of argument they agreed to both refund the purchase and send a courier to collect the cans (in these circumstances UK law holds the seller responsible for return shipment). Their courier missed three planned collection dates, after which eBay paid me the refund anyway. I didn't hear from the seller again leaving me with the cans.

I've not needed to fill either of the Chinese cans until today. I must admit I had my doubts; just handling them they're not a patch on the Wavian cans and I was prepared for leaks. So far, however, there's no sign of fuel escaping. My doubts were stronger regarding the spouts, but again they fit well to the cans (and to the Wavian one) and pour without dripping.

The spouts did come with a flexible rubber extension and that, as expected, weeps quite badly where it attaches to the spout. I'd recommend it for emergency use only.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Return to “Transportation”