Dead Reckoning

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Wraa
Favorite Zombie Movies: Anything by George or Simon Pegg.

Post by Wraa » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:41 am

It was either in the commentary, or in a behind the scenes clip on the LotD DVD:

As far as the real world build goes: It was built on a tractor trailer frame (model and type unknown), with a trailer hooked on. It was a real moving vehicle, but the interior was not what was seen on film, that was a set.
It was supposed to have a third section, but it was deemed to be too long for use as there were shots when it had to come around corners and would not have had the clearance needed on location.

That is per the DVD as best as I recall.

W'raa

razi

Post by razi » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:05 am

hunter wrote: In the sequel, the Zombies attend MIT and construct their own Dead Reckoning, and when it kills other vehicles they die and rise again into the undead cars and trucks. I hate smart zombies.
...zombie transformers?

what do they say instead of BBBRRRRAAAAIIIINNNNSSSS...

FUEL INJECTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR?

MagicJuggler

Post by MagicJuggler » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:47 am

What never made sense is why build Dead Reckoning when one could theoretically loot tanks and other combat vehicles from the surrounding countryside, and mix them up with the blades used in combine harvesters, and drive straight into a field of zombies and they're turned to mincemeat. Yummy!

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:37 pm

razi wrote:
hunter wrote: In the sequel, the Zombies attend MIT and construct their own Dead Reckoning, and when it kills other vehicles they die and rise again into the undead cars and trucks. I hate smart zombies.
...zombie transformers?

what do they say instead of BBBRRRRAAAAIIIINNNNSSSS...

FUEL INJECTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR?
My car and truck are safe then, they have carb's 8)
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:26 pm

And Stephen King rides again...

Maximum Overdrive, anyone? A vehicular/mechanical PAW. Talk about your Marxist alienation!

<cue AC/DC>
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:49 am

Impus wrote:And Stephen King rides again...

Maximum Overdrive, anyone? A vehicular/mechanical PAW. Talk about your Marxist alienation!

<cue AC/DC>
The MO PAW was a little hard for me to understand. There didn't seem to be any consistency in what this alien force controlled, other than it had to be manmade and mobile, moveable or have some sort of function. Although to push mower "pushing" itself baffled me :?:
End of off-topic rant

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:07 pm

A lot of my problems with Mr. King's prose stem from his not explaining things that should be explained, and explaining things that should be left mysterious. MO is a perfectly good example.

However, In this particular instance, I am talking about the movie, not the short story. I read the SS many, many moons ago, and honestly don't remember it. The movie I remember and am commenting on.

</litrant> <jibe to original thread>

As Magic Juggler said, if a large portion of the population is dead/undead, there will be tanks, APCs, Duce-n-a-Halves, choppers, aircraft, boats, etc... galore just laying around for folks who know how to fuel 'em, fix 'em, and operate 'em. Why build a transport when you can likely scavange one?
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Maximum Overdrive was an absurd, silly, internally inconsistent film, with absolutely no credibility to the story. There is no explanation even attempted about how machines, even simple ones like an electric carving knife, can become self aware. The "alien force" was the tail of a comet! WTF? A dirty snowball turns my cuisinart into a sentient homicidal maniac? Also, the pintle-mounted M60 on the MULE tracking the guy when there's nothing to move the gun was absurd. And isn't a grenade a machine, too, as much as an M60? Why didn't it just choose to go off in they guy's hand?

It is also one of my favorite films from my childhood. The coke machine scene was hilarious, and the big green "Green Goblin" truck is an image I'll never forget. Really cool film. No need to believe it.

Wraa

Post by Wraa » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Impus, you have a point, why build something if you have access to other things already.

Maybe for just that reason.
When the military faces a certain problem that they are not really ready to deal with, often they will create something that is well suited to its task.

Also, by making a custom rig, this ensures only a select few know how to operate it, and granting it everything they would need, rather than trying to retrofit existing vehicles. (Look at how the Humvees are faring with extra armor that they now need)

Just a thought.

W'raa

Gregoriev
Probation

Post by Gregoriev » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:16 pm

How are the humvees doing these days? I havent heard much about what's going on over there.
Please read my zombie story at:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2865003/1/

CHAPTER 8 HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED!!!!

Please send me comment/suggestions/reviews through PM.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:40 pm

Jeriah wrote:Maximum Overdrive was an absurd, silly, internally inconsistent film, with absolutely no credibility to the story. There is no explanation even attempted about how machines, even simple ones like an electric carving knife, can become self aware. The "alien force" was the tail of a comet! WTF? A dirty snowball turns my cuisinart into a sentient homicidal maniac? Also, the pintle-mounted M60 on the MULE tracking the guy when there's nothing to move the gun was absurd. And isn't a grenade a machine, too, as much as an M60? Why didn't it just choose to go off in they guy's hand?

It is also one of my favorite films from my childhood. The coke machine scene was hilarious, and the big green "Green Goblin" truck is an image I'll never forget. Really cool film. No need to believe it.
I was thinking about the guns in the basement, and the rocket launcher... if the M60 could do what it did, howcome they couldn't all go off by themselves?

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:24 pm

Bear_B wrote:
Jeriah wrote:Maximum Overdrive was an absurd, silly, internally inconsistent film, with absolutely no credibility to the story. There is no explanation even attempted about how machines, even simple ones like an electric carving knife, can become self aware. The "alien force" was the tail of a comet! WTF? A dirty snowball turns my cuisinart into a sentient homicidal maniac? Also, the pintle-mounted M60 on the MULE tracking the guy when there's nothing to move the gun was absurd. And isn't a grenade a machine, too, as much as an M60? Why didn't it just choose to go off in they guy's hand?

I was thinking about the guns in the basement, and the rocket launcher... if the M60 could do what it did, howcome they couldn't all go off by themselves?
Since they didn't define exactly (or even vaguely) how the comet made machines "come to life," there wasn't any logical way to define the limits of a "machine." They seemed generally only to effect things with some kind of motor (gasoline, diesel, or electric) or an electrical system, but that pintle mounted 60 seemed like it got animated by extension, because it was part of the MULE. Even though there is no motor or gearing or anything in a pintle mount, it's just a swivel joint. A gun in your hand is safe, but mounted on a post on the back of a vehicle, it becomes self aware...apparently.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:24 pm

I am wondering how that soda machine "Threw" the cans at the baseball team... after all, when you buy a soda it just kinda "drops" it... it really has no machine to put "force" behind it...

If the electric knife was able to run with no electricity, how come the trucks couldn't run without fuel?

But who cares really... it was just a cool movie with trucks and guns, my two favorite things on Earth outside of beautiful women (which were kinda lacking in this movie), and the AC/DC soundtrack was cool.

I have always been a B and C grade movie fan... so of course I own this movie. :oops:

Wraa

Post by Wraa » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:35 pm

Bear, have you ever seen 'Ice Pirates' ?

W'raa

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:47 pm

Wraa wrote:Bear, have you ever seen 'Ice Pirates' ?

W'raa

Nope.

Wraa

Post by Wraa » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:56 pm

Good B movie. Very funny. (Sci-Fi)

W'raa

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:59 pm

+1. That movie rules. I like the part where the guy gets the white afro.

Wraa

Post by Wraa » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:05 pm

The white afro is funny, but even funnier:

"What was that thing?"
*shudder* "Space Herpe."
"Eew."

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:09 pm

I need to rent that movie again.

Dresden

Post by Dresden » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:53 pm

duh, commets have magic... that's how it threw soda from a machine and moved everything...

duh...

geez....
I Remember Zombie Con 2005!!

America is teh roXor!

OverlordQ
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by OverlordQ » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:36 pm

How reasonable would building something like this be? Assuming you could cordon off a suitable area in a metro area that had the tools and supplies.

IMO, I'd prolly go a bit less on the heavy metal, more on stronger, lighter materials, well maybe not stronger, but strong enough to hold out zeds but not weigh a crap ton.

Was also thinking about how feasible it would be to have two types of off-grid power generators like wind and solar to charge a large bank of batteries and using electric motors in a vehicle.

Ideas? Comments?

I know you couldn't power something the side of DR on electrics, but you could get a pretty good battle wagon equipped I'd think.

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:36 pm

OverlordQ wrote:How reasonable would building something like this be? Assuming you could cordon off a suitable area in a metro area that had the tools and supplies.

IMO, I'd prolly go a bit less on the heavy metal, more on stronger, lighter materials, well maybe not stronger, but strong enough to hold out zeds but not weigh a crap ton.

Was also thinking about how feasible it would be to have two types of off-grid power generators like wind and solar to charge a large bank of batteries and using electric motors in a vehicle.

Ideas? Comments?

I know you couldn't power something the side of DR on electrics, but you could get a pretty good battle wagon equipped I'd think.
Good thinking, but I think it'd be too high maintenance for a PAW scenario.

Hawk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Post by Hawk » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:14 pm

What never made sense is why build Dead Reckoning when one could theoretically loot tanks and other combat vehicles from the surrounding countryside, and mix them up with the blades used in combine harvesters, and drive straight into a field of zombies and they're turned to mincemeat. Yummy!
Same reason Max had a Weiand blower that he could turn on and off in Road Warrior. Dramatic effect.

I agree with what Blasphemous said in the previous statement, and would like to add to it. (based on the PAW, not the ZPAW) It would be incredibly easy to stop a vehicle like that, or slow it down immensly. Something built like that is built for optimal road conditions, not for cars abandoned everywhere, or roads broken, small creek bridges down, and shit like that. A vehicle like DR, as amazing as it is, would ONLY be functional with a metropolis backing it, or it could serve as a good base of operations. Even if you end up building one, you'll have a vehicle that cost you well over $100k to put together, that all your neighbors hate, and you can only drive to car shows since it's so heavy and cumbersome you can't afford the gas (what would insurance be?)
I'd like to mention that my mother is, in fact, a saint. A very caring person, she was cursed with the gift of good looks, and then came the internet.

<19:15>[BeerandGun]: no guys, no glory

I helped warm manbath at ZCon '08!
I got new tan lines at ZCon '09
ZCon '010 was a humidor

Blasphemous

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:40 pm

Not to mention you'd need a CDL to drive it.

Return to “Transportation”