Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATE

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATE

Post by Coal-Cracker » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:10 pm

...with another Wrangler JK.

Though this time, I factory ordered a 2014 Rubicon.

I stopped at the dealer to price some newer used Wranglers, but with the Tread Lightly discount (Highly recommended!!!) I was able to get 1% under dealer invoice on a new one. Seemed like a no-brainer to me. The 2014s weren't on dealer lots at that time and there weren't any 2013 leftovers I was interested in.

I actually wanted a basic Ruby, so that is what I ordered and was able to save some money in the process. All the comfort and convenience "bells and whistles" in my older JK ('07 Sahara) mostly went unused and unappreciated. Went with the soft top as the Sahara's hard top lived in my basement for over 3 years, collecting dust.

Half doors were listed as a factory option, and since I always loved the half doors in my TJ, I selected those. Anyone familiar with the flimsiness of the TJ half doors would appreciate the new doors. Much more stout.

Went with a manual transmission this time and while I know an auto is a little easier to drive off road (especially rock crawling), the 6 speed coupled with the 285 hp Pentastar engine is REALLY fun to drive.

Other standard offroad features on the Rubicon include:
Dana 44 front and rear, front and rear lockers, electronic sway bar disconnect, factory sliders, 4:1 crawl ratio, 4.10 gears, 32" BFGs

I'm not used to driving this low to the ground :wink: , so a modest 2-2.5" lift is already in the works. Right now I'm thinking AEV, though I was satisfied with the Old Man Emu lift I had on my previous JK.

I'm undecided as to what size tires. 33" at least, though 35" are a consideration. A JK with 2" lift, flat fenders, and 35" makes for a VERY offroad capable vehicle with little sacrifice in road manners. Aftermarket wheels with better backspacing is also a must.

Pricing good roof racks to make up for the minimal storage space (versus a full size SUV). Already have a hitch rack for some additional storage.

Have a stubby bumper with Warn 9500 winch (synthetic line) and that'll be going on when I get another weekend off.

I'm open to suggestions.



Image
Last edited by Coal-Cracker on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by Gingerbread Man » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:15 pm

And now I hate you.
Very nice.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
GentryMillMan
* *
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:51 am
Location: Russell Springs Ky

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by GentryMillMan » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:44 pm

And when I first read the title my mind raced "Replaced it with what?!?!? What could possibly be better?"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good show! Good Jeep!
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2351
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by Beowolf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:59 pm

Very nice. :) Love my 2008 X.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:46 am

If you want a lot of tire size options you can go 3-4" suspension lift then 35's are no problem, 37's are easily in reach from there with a 1" body lift or flat fenders, and 38's will need both. A lot of folk who go long arm swear it rides better than stock.

Love the color of your ride. :)

afd660
*
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by afd660 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:55 am

I got a 2012 Unlimited with RockKrawler 2.5 max travel. Fully disconnected there's no rub at full flex with my 33's. Have the bilstein 5100's, rides a bit rougher in my opinion, and if I could go back I would have gone with the Rancho 9000's. I think they have 1 inch less extension than the bilsteins, but the 9000's are adjustable.

My friend has a 2014 Unlimited Rubicon with Bushwackers and 35's. Thought he would be able to flex and not rub but he does. So hes getting a 1.5 inch lift installed.
On his "old" 2012 Unlimited Rubicon he had the 2.5 Old Man Emu lift with their shocks and it rode really nice compared to the RK lift with bilsteins. Comparing our lifts, the RK was just about .5 inches taller overall than the OME lift. That's with both Jeeps basically stock and on level ground. I can ask him what size bumpstops he's running if you like. Cant remember off hand.

I'd go with 35's, don't make the same mistake I did and get 33's then want 35's 3 months later. LOL. A plus is not rubbing at full flex without bumpstops while disconnected. Keep in mind that all these are with the Unlimiteds, might be different on the regular JK's.


Nice Jeep and great color choice. I wanted to get a 14 but I heard they might be coming out with a diesel Wrangler in 15 or 16.

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by Coal-Cracker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Tater Raider wrote:If you want a lot of tire size options you can go 3-4" suspension lift then 35's are no problem, 37's are easily in reach from there with a 1" body lift or flat fenders, and 38's will need both. A lot of folk who go long arm swear it rides better than stock.
I can't help but be skeptical when someone claims a "better ride than stock." If anything it is subjective to the individual's preference. I've yet to ride in a vehicle that rides more comfortably than stock (when lifted), no matter how little the amount. Here on the pot-hole ridden roads of NEPA, if the ride is too stiff, the ride feels too "skittish." I've just come to accept that offroad capability, means onroad sacrifice - though not as pronounced in the JK versus the TJs and YJs.

I'm deciding what tire size I want to go, factoring any heavy-weight mods, and then deciding on a lift. My mistake on my last build was getting the tires and lift and then adding bumpers/winch - forcing me to add spacers to compensate for sag after already investing in the lift.
As it's the tires that actually gain you offroad clearance, my goal with this JK is to keep it as low center of gravity as possible and still maintain flex and offroad capability with larger tires.
Tater Raider wrote:Love the color of your ride. :)
Silver and Black? I figured you would. :wink:
afd660 wrote:I got a 2012 Unlimited with RockKrawler 2.5 max travel. Fully disconnected there's no rub at full flex with my 33's. Have the bilstein 5100's, rides a bit rougher in my opinion, and if I could go back I would have gone with the Rancho 9000's. I think they have 1 inch less extension than the bilsteins, but the 9000's are adjustable.

My friend has a 2014 Unlimited Rubicon with Bushwackers and 35's. Thought he would be able to flex and not rub but he does. So hes getting a 1.5 inch lift installed.
On his "old" 2012 Unlimited Rubicon he had the 2.5 Old Man Emu lift with their shocks and it rode really nice compared to the RK lift with bilsteins. Comparing our lifts, the RK was just about .5 inches taller overall than the OME lift. That's with both Jeeps basically stock and on level ground. I can ask him what size bumpstops he's running if you like. Cant remember off hand.
On my last JK, I almost got the RK Max Travel. It was either that or the OME. I ended up with the OME (through Northridge4x4) and it rode pretty nice with adjustable front/rear track bars and adjustable upper control arms.

If I get 35"s, Bushwacker or MetalCloak flat fenders will be the route I go. Since I'm running a 2 door, I might try just adding some OEM 4 door springs (18/59) as that should gain me the lift (1-1.5") that I need to keep from rubbing at full flex. Teraflex also offers their 1.5 spring performance leveling kit which I guess would also do the job. Bottom line, I don't want to go ANY higher than I have to, to run the tire size I decide. If you could ask your friend what bumpstop size he is running, I'd much appreciate it.
afd660 wrote:I'd go with 35's, don't make the same mistake I did and get 33's then want 35's 3 months later. LOL. A plus is not rubbing at full flex without bumpstops while disconnected. Keep in mind that all these are with the Unlimiteds, might be different on the regular JK's.

As I'm thinking "overland" build with this one, I'm really considering 33's. I had 33s on m last JK 2-door and it looks balanced with little mile-per-gallon sacrifice. While I sometimes wondered what my last JK would have looked like with 35s, I really didn't regret getting the 33s - especially with the 3.8l.
I will admit the 3.6l with 4.10s is kinda "asking" for 35s. Hell, they even factory trimmed the pinch seem on the 2014s. It's like they WANT me to run 35s. :lol:
afd660 wrote:Nice Jeep and great color choice. I wanted to get a 14 but I heard they might be coming out with a diesel Wrangler in 15 or 16.
As far as colors go, I wavered back and forth between Billet and Anvil. At the time, I hadn't seen anvil in person (only web pics) and depending on the photo, it ranged from looking baby blue to battleship gray. I've since seen anvil on the road and it is a sharp looking color. Though I don't regret the billet as photos also don't do this color justice.
They've been promising a diesel for years now. I got tired of waiting and finally gave up and traded my 2007. Current rumor is, 2016 will see a complete redesign - maybe then we'll see a diesel. Though there is also rumor of IFS as part of the redesign. :x
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

afd660
*
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by afd660 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 pm

My friend is running a 1.5inch bumpstop up front and a 2inch in the rear. I forgot the 14's already come with the pinch seam cut and removed. He did cut his rock rails though that came with it to match the clearance from the pinch seam being trimmed.

You got the same idea as my friend about only going so far with a lift. That's why he tried going only with bushwackers to clear his 35's, later found out he did need a lift to clear when he was on a RTI ramp. Went 1.5in lift with OME springs.


Are you concerned about sag when you mount the bumper and winch if go with the 4 door 18/59 springs?? There are a couple of manufactures out there that are coming out with "triple-rate" springs. RK being one of them but from what I hear they are 4 weeks from coming out. I'm not sure what the triple rate is, only have an idea of the stock which sagged under weight, and then the progressive rate springs on my RK lift. I hope they dont go with the IFS on the redesign... LOL... Do you offroad at Rausch Creek and stuff??

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by Coal-Cracker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:13 am

afd660 wrote:My friend is running a 1.5inch bumpstop up front and a 2inch in the rear. I forgot the 14's already come with the pinch seam cut and removed. He did cut his rock rails though that came with it to match the clearance from the pinch seam being trimmed.
Thanks for the bumpstop info. You're right, I will have to trim the Rubi rails a bit to match the pinch seam trim.
afd660 wrote:You got the same idea as my friend about only going so far with a lift. That's why he tried going only with bushwackers to clear his 35's, later found out he did need a lift to clear when he was on a RTI ramp. Went 1.5in lift with OME springs.
My ultimate goal is to change as little of the factory suspension geometry as possible. Where did your friend get 1.5" OME springs? Even with the "light load" springs, I still got close to 2.5" on my previous JK. (I'm guessing he must have used "2 door" light load springs on his 4 door, correct?)
afd660 wrote:Are you concerned about sag when you mount the bumper and winch if go with the 4 door 18/59 springs?? There are a couple of manufactures out there that are coming out with "triple-rate" springs. RK being one of them but from what I hear they are 4 weeks from coming out. I'm not sure what the triple rate is, only have an idea of the stock which sagged under weight, and then the progressive rate springs on my RK lift. I hope they dont go with the IFS on the redesign... LOL... Do you offroad at Rausch Creek and stuff??
With the OME light springs on my previous JK, the winch(synthetic line)/stubby bumper caused .5" sag. I've read that 4 door heavy springs will usually give 1.5" front and .1" rear. This should even out when the bumper/winch is added, though it will still maintain the factory rake. Truth is, I'm not sure yet exactly what I'm gonna do. I've got a while to decide as I never buy stuff like this with credit cards, so I have to work some overtime to build up the cash. This will give me lots of time to do my research. I may have to look into RK new springs. There is also Teraflex's springs. And Synergy's springs have also been getting positive results. So many options. :lol:

I live about 20 minutes from Rausch, though I usually wheel the "free" trails here in the mountains of PA. Rausch Creek can get expensive. Used to wheel regularly at a free local trail network that has since been developed into a legitmate offroad park. Waiting on the place, as I understand it's still not offically open. It looks promising ,though it will no longer be free admittance. Here's there site: http://www.anthraciteadventure.com/pages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Also considering roof rack options. It seems to be a toss-up between Gobi and Garvin. Garvin's offerings are less expensive, though Gobi's reputation for quality is outstanding.
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by Coal-Cracker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 am

Have made some changes over the past few months...

Replaced the factory wheels and tires with GY Duratracs (285/75/16, basically a 33") and aluminum 16" wheels. I had Duratracs on the last JK and I loved them. Pretty good offroad in mud and rocky terrain - and REALLY good on snowy roads. (I kept the factory wheels/tires as a spare set.)

I added some JKU (4 door) springs. The ride is a little firmer, but I gained about an 1-1.25" more clearance.

Added the winch/bumper that I took off my last JK prior to selling it. The bumper is a Rugged Ridge XHD and the winch is a Warn 9500i with amsteel synthetic line.

I have a hitch mounted rack that I use for additional cargo capability.

The next big purchase will either be a spare tire carrier/rear bumper or a roof rack.

Image
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:43 am

Spare tire carrier would be my choice - safety factor and the whole matching tire/wheel combo thing. Then again, I rotate my spare with the rest of the tires so I'd say it depends on how you rotate tires.

If you go 4 tire rotation, Rugged Ridge makes an interesting roof rack/light bar combo that still allows for taking the top down with minimal struggle and a 300# capacity. Fair warning on the light bar, they don't weld the tabs on dead level so if you're picky about it (I am) you'll either have to send it back if it's noticeably off from one side to the other or carefully cut them off and weld them back on then cover the are with some textured flat black paint to blend it with the wrinkle black powder coating.

Love my Duratrac's. I'm at 50k on mine and thin I can get another 10k out of them and still be street legal, though the off-road performance of them started to go down at 40k. I'll want new ones come winter but I'm holding off as long as possible.

I wouldn't have thought to go 4 door springs. Then again I do a fair bit of long distance drives.

Sweet looking ride. :D

I'd ditch the Rubicon logo, but that's me.

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by Coal-Cracker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:15 pm

Tater Raider wrote:Spare tire carrier would be my choice - safety factor and the whole matching tire/wheel combo thing. Then again, I rotate my spare with the rest of the tires so I'd say it depends on how you rotate tires.
One of us is confused (probably me.) :lol: When I wrote "spare tire carrier/rear bumper" above, I meant something like this: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12042_6100.htm

I am carrying a spare wheel/tire combo that matches the other 4 tires. To do otherwise lacks class. :wink: I'm currently using the stock spare carrier (plus aftermarket bumpstops) on the tailgate. And while the aftermarket wheel/tire combo weighs almost the same as the factory combo, if I ever went bigger I should look at aftermarket carriers. Just trying to plan ahead for the additional weight of future upgrades.

I also do a 5 tire rotation.

Image
Tater Raider wrote:If you go 4 tire rotation, Rugged Ridge makes an interesting roof rack/light bar combo that still allows for taking the top down with minimal struggle and a 300# capacity. Fair warning on the light bar, they don't weld the tabs on dead level so if you're picky about it (I am) you'll either have to send it back if it's noticeably off from one side to the other or carefully cut them off and weld them back on then cover the are with some textured flat black paint to blend it with the wrinkle black powder coating.

Love my Duratrac's. I'm at 50k on mine and thin I can get another 10k out of them and still be street legal, though the off-road performance of them started to go down at 40k. I'll want new ones come winter but I'm holding off as long as possible.

I wouldn't have thought to go 4 door springs. Then again I do a fair bit of long distance drives.
I was checking out the Rugged Ridge rack. It was still kinda new at the time, so I was waiting to hear more user reviews. Garvin Industries has two really nice rack options as does Gobi. Gobi's are easily the most expensive at around $1500, but have nothing but stellar reviews.

4 door springs are an easy way to get yourself a higher load capacity, or a little higher lift. Pretty common switch in the JK community.
I'm leaving for West Virginia this weekend. About a 5 hour drive. I'll have to see how it rides over a longer haul. Like I said, the ride is a little firmer - but certainly no worse than a budge boost (spacer) lift.
Tater Raider wrote:Sweet looking ride. :D
Thanks. It's getting there. :D
Tater Raider wrote:I'd ditch the Rubicon logo, but that's me.
Why?
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

User avatar
Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2351
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later
Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Beowolf wrote:Very nice. :) Love my 2008 X.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
Realized I should update this, especially because I also traded a JK for a JK.

My new ride is a 2014 Willys edition. :crazy:
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK...

Post by Coal-Cracker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Beowolf wrote:Very nice. :) Love my 2008 X.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
Realized I should update this, especially because I also traded a JK for a JK.

My new ride is a 2014 Willys edition. :crazy:
NICE!!! How about some pics?!?
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

User avatar
Tater Raider
* * * * *
Posts: 6737
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:53 pm
Location: Meatworld

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by Tater Raider » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:18 am

Coal-Cracker wrote:
Tater Raider wrote:Spare tire carrier would be my choice - safety factor and the whole matching tire/wheel combo thing. Then again, I rotate my spare with the rest of the tires so I'd say it depends on how you rotate tires.
I also do a 5 tire rotation.

Image
Well then roof rack is really the way to go. Better something you can use now than something you can fully use 30k miles from now...
Coal-Cracker wrote:
Tater Raider wrote:I'd ditch the Rubicon logo, but that's me.
Why?
A ZS vehicle number looks so much better in that spot.

Image

But then again that's just my humble opinion.



On the other hand, Jeep + Chrome = Fighting Words. :lol:

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by Coal-Cracker » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Tater Raider wrote:...
On the other hand, Jeep + Chrome = Fighting Words. :lol:
Chrome?
Maybe if I was trying to build up an 80's retro-look YJ. :lol:
But on a JK. Never.
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

afd660
*
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:52 pm

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by afd660 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:42 am

Have you looked into the Ace Engineering rear bumper/tire combo??

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/ace-p ... -and-hitch

Right now I have the OR-Fab/rotopax tire carrier but if I could do it all over again I would go with the ACE. Its easier to install and you get a bumper to go with it. The ACE tire carrier is supported by the bumper instead of the bracing like the Or-fab. Don't get me wrong, I like mine but looking back I would have gone with ACE. I do get to carry 6 gallons of fuel with my carrier.

A really good investment I made and I wish I would have gotten sooner were skid plates. I went with the EVO protek. It saved me a few times when I was off roading. The auto trans has a line running on the bottom that can get caught up when going over stuff. This protects that line and it separates the muffler from the transmission also(less heat). http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/off-r ... kid-system

Let us know when you decide you want to go to 35's. lol. I went with 33's just like you and a couple months later I wish I had gotten 35's. I do like the wheel and tire combo you choose. If you got them from discount tire they can do the 5 tire rotation, just have to tell them. If you don't then they do the 4 tire. Nice build. Keep us updated with it.

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by Coal-Cracker » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:05 pm

afd660 wrote:Have you looked into the Ace Engineering rear bumper/tire combo??

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/ace-p ... -and-hitch

Right now I have the OR-Fab/rotopax tire carrier but if I could do it all over again I would go with the ACE. Its easier to install and you get a bumper to go with it. The ACE tire carrier is supported by the bumper instead of the bracing like the Or-fab. Don't get me wrong, I like mine but looking back I would have gone with ACE. I do get to carry 6 gallons of fuel with my carrier.

A really good investment I made and I wish I would have gotten sooner were skid plates. I went with the EVO protek. It saved me a few times when I was off roading. The auto trans has a line running on the bottom that can get caught up when going over stuff. This protects that line and it separates the muffler from the transmission also(less heat). http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/off-r ... kid-system

Let us know when you decide you want to go to 35's. lol. I went with 33's just like you and a couple months later I wish I had gotten 35's. I do like the wheel and tire combo you choose. If you got them from discount tire they can do the 5 tire rotation, just have to tell them. If you don't then they do the 4 tire. Nice build. Keep us updated with it.
I like that bumper/tire carrier. Thanks for the heads-up. I've been checking out Ace's rock sliders 'cause I like that they can be used in conjunction with the Rubi rails. I've dealt with Northridge 4x4 for lifts on a previous JK, and they are great to work with. They really know the product they sell.

Skid plates/armor are on the list.

Believe or not, I'm actually happy with the 33s. It was what I had on my last JK (GY Duratracs, also), and I liked that size enough to get them again. I'm not saying 35s aren't in the future at some point, it's just not urgent. Realistically, fuel economy and the probable necessity of a re-gear (I live in the mountains) has 35s on the backburner for right now. Now, if I had a 4-door, I would have went immediately to 35s. It's just my opinion, but I think a 4 door looks balanced with 35s, at the minimum. Plus the breakover angle of the 4 door almost requires 35s to keep up with a 2 door on 33s.
I bought the wheel/tires combo from Discount Tire Direct and had them shipped to my door. Unfortunately, we don't have a Discount Tire nearby. I do my own tire rotations, so it saves me a few bucks.

Thanks. I'll keep the build updated.
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

sdsviet
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:46 am

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by sdsviet » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:55 am

will definitely be keeping up with this tread. planning on creating an overlanding jk. i myself have a 2014 anvil jkr. just took it on a 1500mile trip to north carolina for overland expo east. drives great but gets a little flighty when in rain, especially in the mountains. only thing i have on it so far is internal cage mount for hilift jack and ace rock sliders. i guess i should look into getting a front bumper with winch first and then lift after. can i attach photos without needing a url?

sdsviet
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:46 am

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by sdsviet » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:00 am

Did it thru tap stalk instead

Image

Image

User avatar
Coal-Cracker
* * * * *
Posts: 2526
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:02 pm
Location: Shenandoah Heights, PA

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... UPDATED

Post by Coal-Cracker » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:14 pm

I traded in the 2 door. Replaced it with a 4 door.

3 reasons.
1. The Manual Transmission ( NSG-370, Mercedes) was horrible. It rarely wanted to go smoothly into gear - especially 2nd-3rd. It clunked loud enough during shifts to draw the attention of others. The throwout bearing was already whining after 5k miles. Took it into the dealer for service and, of course, was told they couldn't replicate the issue. Next day, I took a tech for a ride and the sound they couldn't hear the day before, was now "totally normal." Did some research online and found I wasn't alone with my concerns about this transmission.
2. 2 doors make for creative storage solutions. Not saying it can't be done, it's just more difficult with a wife and two kids. While my wife's vehicle was adequate with storage, redundancy in these situations is never a bad thing.
3. Since I used the Tread Lightly Discount when I bought it and with the Wrangler's unmatched resale value, I hardly lost anything on the trade in. (As a matter of fact, the dealer has my old 2 door listed on the their website for more than what I bought it new last year. Go figure.)

So anyway, I ordered a 4 door Rubicon and it was delivered on Tuesday. Went with the newer auto transmission, which by all reviews was an excellent match for the 3.6l. 4.10 gears which are now an option with the auto (3.73 are standard on the auto). I went with the Anvil paint this time. A hard top for security reasons.

I kept the aftermarket tires/wheels from the 2 door as well as the bumper and winch. They will be going on when i get time. More mods to follow, of course. :D The end goal is to focus the build more on "expedition/overland" and less on rock-crawling.

I only have 300 miles on it so far but it drives great. I wasn't sure what to expect with the additional weight of the 4 door vs the 2 door, but it really isn't that noticeable. I consider the trade-off worthwhile. After owning 2 2-door JK Wranglers (and a TJ before that), the on road ride is a little better because of the longer wheel base. Haven't taken it offroad yet as I haven't had time, but apart from the wider turning radius and diminished breakover angle vs. the 2 door, I'd expect nothing less than the best-in-class offroad capability that these vehicles are known for.



Image
Last edited by Coal-Cracker on Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZS Fleet Vehicle # ZS 0020

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13580
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... MAJOR UPDATE

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Very pretty.

:clap:

The extra doors are hardly noticeable.

:lol:
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
CorpsmanUp
* *
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 pm
Location: Maryland via Hawaii

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... MAJOR UPDATE

Post by CorpsmanUp » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:14 pm

Sweet!

I was fairly certain I was going to get a Rubicon until I test drove my Ford Raptor.

Love the Rubicons. May still get one someday.

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16637
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: Finally replaced the Wrangler JK... MAJOR UPDATE

Post by crypto » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Hey've I've got a question about the aftermarket bumper: Does it have an effect on the airbag sensors?

It seems to me that a non-compressing aftermarket bumper would really make the airbag sensors twitchy, because you'd basically adding 15mph of impact force to any detected impact.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

Post Reply

Return to “Transportation”