Bug Out Maps

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tater Raider

Bug Out Maps

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:17 am

One type of map available in Iowa is one the DOT puts out for bicycles. Not only is it a great way for bikes to find trails but it also shows traffic density on roads bikes are legal on, basically everything but the interstate system.

If you are planning a bug out route, something like this could be very handy.

What types of maps do you use/plan to use during a bug-out?

TacAir

Re: Bug Out Maps

Post by TacAir » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:54 am

This and we also keep a copy of "The Alaska Milepost" though we have been burned a couple of times by bad or outdated data - no big, outfits/businesses go under all the time. It just that when an ad is placed and accepted, the outfit/business/campground should at least exist.

For very specific areas, we have a couple of USGS topo maps. USGS maps can be had for free off the web. I'll caution folks with slow internet speeds, even the 7.5 M products are a massive file.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

fred.greek

Post by fred.greek » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:52 pm

For at least some places in the US, you can download not only free topo maps, but free aerial image “maps” at:

http://www.store.usgs.gov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Eklipsis
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later/28 weeks later

Post by Eklipsis » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:20 am

You can get free MI state maps on this site http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-1 ... --,00.html and I browsed for a bit on the site and was able to find where you can order up to eight(I think) at a time...just not sure where it was off the top of my head. I got one for the bag and each vehicle.

upon second look if you order one it will ask you how many you would like... :P

If you're prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse...blizzards are a breeze.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:47 am

I have a DeLorme Gazetteer for Michigan, as well as a Rand McNally street atlas for SE MI and some topo maps. If you don't mind black and white instead of color, Staples will do "engineering prints" of downloaded topo maps for pretty cheap.

Sent via mimeograph.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

mr.trooper

Post by mr.trooper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:28 pm

The commonly seen USGS topo maps are nice to have... But try and get the DOD maps if you can find them. They are not illegal to own, but the DOD has clamped down on them since 9/11 for obvious reasons:

Not only do they show roads and topography, they show you the size and relative traffic levels on said roads. They show you where all of the power and water sub stations are, locations of high tension line and water towers, they show you where all the surveyors legal monuments are, they even show you the locations of hospitals, schools, gov buildings, ect.

Extreemly valuable maps. If you see a guy at a flea market or gun show selling maps or papers, give a look through for them.
Alcoholic Fudd

YouTube Channel

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Google maps will give you a bicycle route map with route and alternate route planning:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hq=http:// ... rflg=b&f=d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:36 am

Thanks for the info guys, tagging this one.
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 am

Current AO
Road map of campus and surrounding areas in my EDC.
BOB has USGS topo of entire town and a topo of my BOL.

Kept in a 'tactical' waterproof map wrap.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:01 am

I keep a very large WA state map that I have marked with circles going out from where I live, my parents, my gfs parents. The circles mark every 10 miles, I do that for 60 miles around each location. I figure 10 miles is easily doable for nearly everyone carrying a BOB. If its just me and the GF we can manage to push for 25-30 in a day if we need to. I also keep the greentrails topo maps for most areas around Washington, benefit of having been in Boy Scouts and hiking a shit ton around here.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

superduder
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie, the LD trilogy, return of the living dead pt I & II,The Battery

Post by superduder » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:16 am

Whackpack7 wrote:Current AO

For waterproof maps,
Take the map to kinkos and have it scanned and printed on a white hankey.
Then it's water, and fold proof.
J
"I've stared Azreal in the face enough that we should be pretty good friends."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:05 pm

superduder wrote:
Whackpack7 wrote:Current AO

For waterproof maps,
Take the map to kinkos and have it scanned and printed on a white hankey.
Then it's water, and fold proof.
J
You can also get maps printed on Tyvex. Really waterproof...
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:36 pm

Halfapint wrote:I keep a very large WA state map that I have marked with circles going out from where I live, my parents, my gfs parents. The circles mark every 10 miles, I do that for 60 miles around each location. I figure 10 miles is easily doable for nearly everyone carrying a BOB. If its just me and the GF we can manage to push for 25-30 in a day if we need to. I also keep the greentrails topo maps for most areas around Washington, benefit of having been in Boy Scouts and hiking a shit ton around here.
Halfapint wrote:I keep a very large WA state map that I have marked with circles going out from where I live, my parents, my gfs parents. The circles mark every 10 miles, I do that for 60 miles around each location. I figure 10 miles is easily doable for nearly everyone carrying a BOB. If its just me and the GF we can manage to push for 25-30 in a day if we need to. I also keep the greentrails topo maps for most areas around Washington, benefit of having been in Boy Scouts and hiking a shit ton around here.
Not calling you out Halfapint your post just made me remember OPSEC is a good thing to remind people about when dealing with maps.

Something to remember about marking your maps with info, is if you loose or have your maps taken from you, you might be giving away important info. Not saying you shouldn't mark info but at least consider the OPSEC of such things. One typical recommendation is making a map overlay. You put your sensitive info on an overlay you put on top of your map. Separate neither gives away the sensitive info. There are other ways but just trying to get the general idea out there.

Extra info added to maps can be handy.

Typical maps don't have all the best info you might need in a bug out. Adding your own info can be really helpful. Some good info on where different resource might be like water, fruit trees, gas stations, etc. Or Listing high risk areas, places to avoid can be just as important as places that are good. Possible toxic spill zones, dangerous gang territory, or even just areas that would likely get blocked by traffic, and small things like aggressive dogs even could be handy.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

ghost792

Post by ghost792 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:50 pm

TacAir wrote:Image
I keep these for Illinois and the surrounding states in my BOV, along with a 50 states road atlas.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:48 am

ineffableone wrote: Not calling you out Halfapint your post just made me remember OPSEC is a good thing to remind people about when dealing with maps.

Something to remember about marking your maps with info, is if you loose or have your maps taken from you, you might be giving away important info. Not saying you shouldn't mark info but at least consider the OPSEC of such things. One typical recommendation is making a map overlay. You put your sensitive info on an overlay you put on top of your map. Separate neither gives away the sensitive info. There are other ways but just trying to get the general idea out there.

Extra info added to maps can be handy.

Typical maps don't have all the best info you might need in a bug out. Adding your own info can be really helpful. Some good info on where different resource might be like water, fruit trees, gas stations, etc. Or Listing high risk areas, places to avoid can be just as important as places that are good. Possible toxic spill zones, dangerous gang territory, or even just areas that would likely get blocked by traffic, and small things like aggressive dogs even could be handy.
Yea honestly I'm not worried about people getting a hold of the map and getting my stuff. For one reason if shit is so bad that I'm having to hoof it. Then I probably wont be coming back, and anything there will probably already be taken. It's something I thought about but in the end didn't really worry about.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “Transportation”