Offroad training?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doc Mongo

Offroad training?

Post by Doc Mongo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Is there any offroad training in Missouri, or near St Louis?

I searched google but only found one place near potosi, and their web site seems to be gone.

Mostly I'm looking for recovery training, equipment selection, things like that, but there seems to be no threads on the subject, and few options nearby.

Confucius

Re: Offroad training?

Post by Confucius » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:21 pm

I'd see about getting in touch with an offroad club near you, see if you can't ride along with them and pick their brains a bit. Most of them are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Fr33M@s0n

Post by Fr33M@s0n » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 pm

This is a pretty large Jeep club in St. Louis http://midwestjeepthing.com/

Doc Mongo

Post by Doc Mongo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:07 am

The jeep club is interesting but they only accept jeep brand owners; I have a 4runner :(

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:40 am

They only let Jeeps roll with them, or only let Jeeps in the club? The latter is understandable, but the former doesn't make much sense.

Be that as it may, see if you can ride shotgun in the Jeep club. If someone let's you be his spotter, you'll gain tons more info than by driving your own rig.

101airborne

Post by 101airborne » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Doc...what kind of information are you looking for? I have 30 years in off-roading/ 4 wheeling. 'd be happy to help you out any way I can, just "holler"

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:07 pm

Fr33M@s0n wrote:This is a pretty large Jeep club in St. Louis http://midwestjeepthing.com/
I did some runs with them and learned a lot. I bet if you go to one of their meetings you can snag yourself a passenger seat with somebody. They were all super friendly when I was involved, very ZS-like personalities.
Angry Peasants, musings on guns and the state of our world

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Look up "Gateway Cruisers". They're a Toyota Land Cruiser club based in St. Louis.
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Doc Mongo

Post by Doc Mongo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Now that sounds interesting - I'll give Gateway Cruisers a look see :wink:

JohnE
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by JohnE » Tue May 07, 2013 7:40 pm

Well...?

Dont leave us hangin...
John E
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Doc Mongo

Post by Doc Mongo » Wed May 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Well I tried to google gateway cruisers and all I keep finding is a PT Cruiser club. Haven't had a lot of time to get out just yet anyway; kinda busy with two jobs, but Im still looking.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:58 pm

After a couple of tries, I found them in the list of clubs on the IH8MUD forum: http://forum.ih8mud.com/clubs/list-by-name" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gateway Cruisers has their own section in the forum: http://forum.ih8mud.com/mo-gateway-cruisers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps!

Diecorpse

Post by Diecorpse » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:53 am

Have you searched recovery methods on youtube? There are a lot of vidoes related to the subject. As mentioned by others, meeting people first hand who know how will be the best method. Also look up steelsoldiers. Its mainly a military vehicle club but they come from all over the country. On their site you can find threads related to offroad and recovery. Otherwise, just go out and do yourself with some buddies. Learn through trial and error and with lots of fun!!
Good. . . Bad. . . I'm the guy with the gun. . .

Return to “Transportation”