Whos got an FJ Cruiser around here?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Whos got an FJ Cruiser around here?

Post by crypto » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 pm

I might be getting one this week, and was wondering how many other ZS members ran them.

Opinions on them? Critical things I should know?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Whos got an FJ Cruiser around here?

Post by NT2C » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:53 pm

SMoAF has one and loves it. We were talking about it at the gun show last weekend.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

EmbraceTheHate
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by EmbraceTheHate » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Room mate has one lifted and line x'd its pretty cool. Weird driving them tho. His has been reliable.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Got one and its awesome. The biggest downside is that it takes all the fun out of basic off road wheeling. Short overhangs, awesome four wheel drive, locking differential.

The mileage isn't tremendous, but you probably already know that. It also has some crazy blind spots, and requires three windshield wipers because the windshield is so narrow. The cargo capacity leaves something to be desired as well. For a bit more coin you can get a 4 runner, which fixes a lot of those issues, but the FJ is still a great truck.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 pm

What kind of real-world mileage do you get? The sticker says 16/20 and I was wondering how that pans out in the real world.

Yeah, the visibility inside it sucks ass, thats the reason I didnt get one in 2008 to be honest. I hate that theres literally no visibility from the B-pillar on back.

I'll definitely be getting a convex mirror.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:52 pm

The only thing in my life I regret selling was my '79 FJ; I just didn't want to store it for the two years I was stationed in Korea. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

mckbrew

Post by mckbrew » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:30 pm

I have a 2007 that I got in September. Average mpg is 16, highest was 19, but I drive a lot of short trips.

Visibility is pathetic, can be addressed with blind spot mirrors. Still, the rear corner windows are useless. Engine is reliable, over 100k and runs strong. With my year the traction control in 2wd is too sensitive.

I can't say anything bad about it really, but I miss my Jeep Wrangler unlimited.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:52 pm

I've got a 2009, standard. I love it. Mine came with a factory back-up camera, and you can pretty much eliminate the blind spots by adjusting your mirrors out to the point just beyond seeing the doorhandles in them. It's very roomy for a big guy. I also put in a tuffy lock box, took out the rear seats and built my own box, at the same level as the tuffy. Kind of like a camper shell. You can also easily mod the rear door so that you can open it from the inside. If you trim the huge excess chunk of steel off of the front body mount (very easy) you can easily fit 32s (or 33's? can't remember at the moment).

All you need is one tree. And this is before I had the spare replaced to match.

This trailer was loaded with the little side-by-side and two four wheelers. Granted we weren't pulling them at highway speeds, but it was in 4-lo going over and up some really rough and steep stuff.

Impromptu shelter use

It's a ton of fun and I put it to work. I'd say get it. As a guy that owned a jeep comanche and wrangler, it's like a fat jeep, (puts on flame suit) but better.

EDIT: I've had mine for about two years now, and I've put about 40k miles on it. I was thinking about it last night, and the only thing I didn't like about it at first is that it came with only one power outlet. It's easy to add another one, and you have a ton of options on where to put it, but that was something I really didn't like. The blind spot thing isn't really that big of a deal, with proper mirror adjustment and a back-up camera. The gas mileage isn't great, but you don't buy this thing expecting it to be good. One thing I will say, the gas tank is way too freaking small. It's not a big deal most of the time, but on long (all day) drives it gets old having to stop every 4.5 hours. I don't know how automatics drive, but with the stick I can make it do what I want, but sticks can be very hard to find. I was trying to come up with some other things I don't like about it, but really can't.

And here's a site for you to check out. The FJ seems to lend itself to extensive modding.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Thanks for that, I made an account on fjcruiserforums on Friday night after getting home from the dealer :D

I'm not looking at the stick, because I didn't want full-time 4x4. Thats probably my old Jeep instincts speaking. I hear that the 6MT and transfer case is pretty solid but I just dont want to put up with extra 3MPG penalty to the fuel economy. I like stick shifts on fun cars, but not necessarily the daily driver I commute in. I'll put up with a 5-speed automatic.

The car hauler didnt get in today, so I didn't get to kick the tires on it. Maybe tomorrow.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 pm

No personal experience, but my buddy is a hardcore 4x4 adventure guy. (Not a casual buddy. He's a professional wakeboarder and nixed his diesel F-250 for the FJ. We spent every other weekend on the lake for 2 years and he was camping/adventuring weekdays). He is not a jeep guy, but LOVES his FJ and his Jeep buddies don't even try to give him shit.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 pm

crypto wrote:Thanks for that, I made an account on fjcruiserforums on Friday night after getting home from the dealer :D

I'm not looking at the stick, because I didn't want full-time 4x4. Thats probably my old Jeep instincts speaking. I hear that the 6MT and transfer case is pretty solid but I just dont want to put up with extra 3MPG penalty to the fuel economy. I like stick shifts on fun cars, but not necessarily the daily driver I commute in. I'll put up with a 5-speed automatic.

The car hauler didnt get in today, so I didn't get to kick the tires on it. Maybe tomorrow.
Yeah, fjcruiserforums can be a bad influence and pricey, but there's tons of useful mods that are very cheap and look good. Like painting your trim black. And it's not full time 4WD, unless that changed on later models. But yeah, the 6 speed stick is great all the way around, from crawling pretty slow, to really slow, to molasses slow; or dropping it to 5th or 4th to get around somebody.
Caenus wrote:No personal experience, but my buddy is a hardcore 4x4 adventure guy. (Not a casual buddy. He's a professional wakeboarder and nixed his diesel F-250 for the FJ. We spent every other weekend on the lake for 2 years and he was camping/adventuring weekdays). He is not a jeep guy, but LOVES his FJ and his Jeep buddies don't even try to give him shit.
Yeah, the jeep guys try to give you shit, up until you go out to eat after a summertime range day and everybody want to lock their firearms in your FJ. Or you get to carry the lions share of the gear when you go on off road camping trips. Mine is called "The Burro."
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:06 am

LOL I'm looking at getting the grey trail teams model, so its all already blacked out :D

It was only after driving home that I realized I had just specced out another cinderblock. The paint color is even called "cement grey".

the first things I figured I wanted to after reading that forum was relocate the transmission and diff breathers ($90) and install a 120W Cree LED light bar on top ($400) :gonk:
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 am

crypto wrote:LOL I'm looking at getting the grey trail teams model, so its all already blacked out :D

It was only after driving home that I realized I had just specced out another cinderblock. The paint color is even called "cement grey".

the first things I figured I wanted to after reading that forum was relocate the transmission and diff breathers ($90) and install a 120W Cree LED light bar on top ($400) :gonk:
Nice. Hopefully the axles on this iteration work a little better. :awesome:

And as far as modding, most of the dealerships are pretty cool with most of the mods you do. Especially if they have a TRD shop in the dealership. From the TRD guy (in Dallas) who organizes all of the offical FJ get-togethers, Toyota's policy is that the burden of proof is on them and that they have to prove your mod caused the issue, not that you simply modded something and that it voided the warranty. Of course that's what he ~told~ me.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

williaty

Post by williaty » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 am

Plus side: the Tonka truck looks cool as hell

Minus side: I have to return more FJs to sticky-side-down than all other kinds of vehicles put together. I honestly don't know if this says something about the chassis design or the typical owner.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 am

I would guess owner honestly. My test drive of an FJ had me thinking it was more stable than a JK Wrangler 2 dr. It also felt like I was driving around a pillbox from WWII. I loved it.

byron

Post by byron » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:04 pm

I love mine! I have a 07 with 68 thousand on it (I don't drive that far to work).

stonedv8

Post by stonedv8 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 am

I have one as well.

Is and always was since they first came out my dream vehicle. I wouldnt want any other, and I have owned a lot of different vehicles.

Mine is a 2007 68k miles manual transmission with all the time 4WD, No troubles. Yeah the small fuel tank sucks, the blind spots are familiar to me now, so that doesnt concern me anymore. Still not used to pulling up to red lights, in the FJ you need to hang back a little further to see them. But thats an old habit.

Not the best pic.

Mods include KC Hilites on the front bull bar, 1500watt inverter in the rear. Light bar on the roof rack now , will be adding lights to it and reverse lights soon. Various mounts on the inside for tools (shovel, prybar) holsters for guns hidden. Fire extinguisher.

Constantly a work in progress modding...

***ninja edit*** Wow those tires look mighty small, that pic makes them look puny...When these are wore, I reckon I gotta go bigger.

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm

When are you picking it up? Gotta post pics.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:42 pm

I picked it up tonight but it was already dark by the time I got home. Pics tomorrow.

ETA: LOL THIS THING IS full-retard.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 am

Glad you like it and seconded on the pics. :)

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 am

crypto wrote:I picked it up tonight but it was already dark by the time I got home. Pics tomorrow.

ETA: LOL THIS THING IS full-retard.
Lol. I'm not one of the cool kids, so I'm assuming full-retard is a good thing. Impressions? And if full-retard is a good thing, go find a real 4wd trail. Put it in 4L and just let it idle along. It's sick.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:06 pm

This thing is great.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Freaking sweet. Are those true bead locks? And rock sliders! Cool. A suggestion for storing a firearm and/or valuables.
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-190-fj-c ... nsert.aspx

ETA: And be prepared to have everybody flash their highbeams (the car's) at you. The headlights are super bright.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Well that looks just fucking sweet, and do I see a ZS sticker that you've already applied at less than 24 hours?
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Return to “Transportation”