!@#$% pos tacoma

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: !@#$% pos tacoma

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:12 pm

Ax-Man wrote:Talked to the Toyota rep today and towing is a no go. They said it absolutely has to be in running order.

Anyone ever pull a starter on one these things? Royal pita, not looking forward to fighting with damn thing.

Still, a little bit of elbow grease and few hundred bucks in repair for 11k is one hell of a deal.
For $11k let a shop do it. I mean, really... why bust your ass on it if you're getting rid of it for a healthy profit?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:39 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Ax-Man wrote:Talked to the Toyota rep today and towing is a no go. They said it absolutely has to be in running order.

Anyone ever pull a starter on one these things? Royal pita, not looking forward to fighting with damn thing.

Still, a little bit of elbow grease and few hundred bucks in repair for 11k is one hell of a deal.
For $11k let a shop do it. I mean, really... why bust your ass on it if you're getting rid of it for a healthy profit?

Honestly its not that big of a deal. Have you tried banging on the starter with a hammer? Sometimes you can get one or two more starts out of a seized starter that way.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:01 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:

That's not a bad idea, but there's a few reasons I won't do that. First, I can't really afford to put the money up front to get it repaired. Second, why eat more into that 11k than I have to?

Lastly, I am not a "natural" mechanic. But over time I became a pretty good mechanic. This transition was born out of necessity. I've never taken anything to the shop for anything other a front end alignment. Guess I'm just a DIY till I die kinda guy.

Sure fixing truck will be a pain in the ass and likely cost me more time and labor than I would like. But every repair I make makes me a little bit better of a mechanic. Fixing it myself is worth it to me just for the experience.
Braxton wrote: Honestly its not that big of a deal. Have you tried banging on the starter with a hammer? Sometimes you can get one or two more starts out of a seized starter that way.
Oh I tried that. Believe me. No luck. It's not a big deal, it just a pain. Got no room to get a wrench on the damn thing. I'll get it though, I always do. :)
Live to train, train to live.

The Great PAW Library Project.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 pm

Ax-Man wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

That's not a bad idea, but there's a few reasons I won't do that. First, I can't really afford to put the money up front to get it repaired. Second, why eat more into that 11k than I have to?

Lastly, I am not a "natural" mechanic. But over time I became a pretty good mechanic. This transition was born out of necessity. I've never taken anything to the shop for anything other a front end alignment. Guess I'm just a DIY till I die kinda guy.

Sure fixing truck will be a pain in the ass and likely cost me more time and labor than I would like. But every repair I make makes me a little bit better of a mechanic. Fixing it myself is worth it to me just for the experience.
They're your knuckles, bleed 'em as you see fit. :)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:36 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Ax-Man wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:

They're your knuckles, bleed 'em as you see fit. :)
After a while you learn to love the smell of blood and motor oil :wink:

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 pm

Just a thought... Boneyard starter motor? Bet you could get one for 25% of the cost of new...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Ripcode

Post by Ripcode » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Did Toyota say how much they would give you?

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Just a thought... Boneyard starter motor? Bet you could get one for 25% of the cost of new...
Yeah I thought of that too. I'll see how much of a pain it is to get this one out first. Autozone is right down the road. Boneyard is a thirty minute drive, plus however long it takes to pull it. To save $70 buck that might not be worth it. Eh, we'll see.
Ripcode wrote:

Did Toyota say how much they would give you?
Yes, the rep told me 150% of KBB value. That comes out to around $11,000.

From what I understand US Steel didnt mix the alloy right, Dana built the frames and Toyota installed them so they each have to pay 50% for a total of 150% = a giant fuck wad of free money.

Toyota uses and independent inspection service, if they find any holes from rust they will contact me with the offer at which time I set up a meeting to go sign the truck over and pick up my check.

The problem won't be finding a hole in the frame, the problem will be finding the frame around the hole.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 pm

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repair ... deMain.jsp

For as many uses as I don't have for AutoZone, this is a nice little thing they set up.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Okay lets talk about your starter problem. Does it sometimes refuse to crank and just spin the starter, making a VWEEEEEE noise?

If it does that, just beat on the starter with a hammer repeatedly until the Bendix spring frees up. That shit happens to all old starters.

Also, having owned 2 tacomas from the recall timeframe, I can feel your pain. My first one I sold to a dealer in 1999, my second I sold to Toyota for the 150% rate and made out like a fucking bandit.

They learned a hard, expensive lesson. It finally convinced them to get serious about anti-corrosion coatings and steel on all their cars. I'm glad they took the high road and made good with customers.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 pm

crypto wrote: They learned a hard, expensive lesson. It finally convinced them to get serious about anti-corrosion coatings and steel on all their cars. I'm glad they took the high road and made good with customers.
That right there has probably earned them more customers than they lost. Chevy had a primer issue in the 90's and offered a recall for missing paint. Sadly, they only offered it for a limited time, and you still see some trucks from time to time that have a paint job of layered primer. I would be pissed if I bought a new truck just to have the paint fall off a year after the recall stopped.

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:52 pm

crypto wrote:Okay lets talk about your starter problem. Does it sometimes refuse to crank and just spin the starter, making a VWEEEEEE noise?

If it does that, just beat on the starter with a hammer repeatedly until the Bendix spring frees up. That shit happens to all old starters.

Also, having owned 2 tacomas from the recall timeframe, I can feel your pain. My first one I sold to a dealer in 1999, my second I sold to Toyota for the 150% rate and made out like a fucking bandit.

They learned a hard, expensive lesson. It finally convinced them to get serious about anti-corrosion coatings and steel on all their cars. I'm glad they took the high road and made good with customers.
Na it doesn't spin. Batts dead so I hooked it up to jumpers. lights, radio 'n all that work. When I turn the key, the power to everything cuts out till I let go. It doesn't spin click. Starters are one thing I've never had to work on and thus don't know much about. Yet.

Braxton
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Post by Braxton » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:58 pm

If you need help with anything, just ask!
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

congochris

Post by congochris » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Ax-Man wrote:
crypto wrote:Okay lets talk about your starter problem. Does it sometimes refuse to crank and just spin the starter, making a VWEEEEEE noise?

Na it doesn't spin. Batts dead so I hooked it up to jumpers. lights, radio 'n all that work. When I turn the key, the power to everything cuts out till I let go. It doesn't spin click. Starters are one thing I've never had to work on and thus don't know much about. Yet.
You might want to trickle charge it before you go replacing the starter. If it's killing everything else electrical it could be the battery is deader than a doornail. Had that happen with vehicles I left sitting too long. Had to get a new battery after flattening the one in my Ranger too often due to other electrical issues.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Ax-Man wrote: Na it doesn't spin. Batts dead so I hooked it up to jumpers. lights, radio 'n all that work. When I turn the key, the power to everything cuts out till I let go. It doesn't spin click. Starters are one thing I've never had to work on and thus don't know much about. Yet.
Put on a new battery. That sounds like the battery is dead. Pull a known-good battery out of another car.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:27 pm

crypto wrote:
Ax-Man wrote: Na it doesn't spin. Batts dead so I hooked it up to jumpers. lights, radio 'n all that work. When I turn the key, the power to everything cuts out till I let go. It doesn't spin click. Starters are one thing I've never had to work on and thus don't know much about. Yet.
Put on a new battery. That sounds like the battery is dead. Pull a known-good battery out of another car.
This. Your battery's holding 12VDC but isn't delivering enough current to get the starter going. Trickle charging probably won't help. I'd suspect the problem is a dead cell.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

colinz

Post by colinz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Ax-Man wrote:

It's quite common for the start position to disconnect the auxiliary power circuits while you are starting.

If there's nothing from the starter when you've got jumper leads attached, id start by checking the ignition fuses, battery connections, starter connections and starter fuse.

Are you able to get someone else to try and start the truck while you listen to the starter motor? Most solenoids make a fairly loud click when they operate, but it may not be audible from the cab.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:15 am

I've never owned a car where the start position turned off the headlights. Radio and heater, yes, but every time the headlights and dash lights cut out during starting it's been the battery.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:55 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:I've never owned a car where the start position turned off the headlights. Radio and heater, yes, but every time the headlights and dash lights cut out during starting it's been the battery.

Headlights no, but interior ACC stuff? yes absolutely. Every car I've had since 2000 or so cuts the radio out when you turn the key past ON.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Ax-Man

Post by Ax-Man » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:58 pm

I know the battery's shot. But wouldn't it still start with jumper cables?
colinz wrote: Are you able to get someone else to try and start the truck while you listen to the starter motor? Most solenoids make a fairly loud click when they operate, but it may not be audible from the cab.
It makes one click when I turn the key. So that would be the solenoid?

If all it takes is putting in a new battery then great, but I don't understand why I wouldn't be able to jump it. I also don't know what the solenoid click tells me.

Any more advice you guys can provide would be awesome. In the meantime I'm guna do some googling cuz now I'm more confused than before.

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Ax-Man wrote:I know the battery's shot. But wouldn't it still start with jumper cables?
colinz wrote: Are you able to get someone else to try and start the truck while you listen to the starter motor? Most solenoids make a fairly loud click when they operate, but it may not be audible from the cab.
It makes one click when I turn the key. So that would be the solenoid?

If all it takes is putting in a new battery then great, but I don't understand why I wouldn't be able to jump it. I also don't know what the solenoid click tells me.

Any more advice you guys can provide would be awesome. In the meantime I'm guna do some googling cuz now I'm more confused than before.
I've had the same issue with old batteries with dead cells. Jumpers just didn't work.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Ax-Man wrote:I know the battery's shot. But wouldn't it still start with jumper cables?
No. Current is limited by the crappy connection and starters really do pull a lot of amps.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:15 pm

a bad battery can mimic a bad starter, put a fully charged good battery in and see if she goes
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm

crypto wrote:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote:I've never owned a car where the start position turned off the headlights. Radio and heater, yes, but every time the headlights and dash lights cut out during starting it's been the battery.

Headlights no, but interior ACC stuff? yes absolutely. Every car I've had since 2000 or so cuts the radio out when you turn the key past ON.
We're saying the same thing. Every car I've owned made between 1965 and 2005 kills everything /but/ dash lights and headlights when you crank it. :P

Return to “Transportation”