Calling all Bike Freaks! UPDATE AND PICS ON PAGE 2

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Braxton
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.

Calling all Bike Freaks! UPDATE AND PICS ON PAGE 2

Post by Braxton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm

I have decided to get off my fat ass and get some exercise. I NEED A BIKE!

I want to get a bike that is both comfortable to ride and can be used every now and then to carry shit home from the store.

I found this online, and man it looks like everything I want.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Ho ... 20022729:s

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions?
Last edited by Braxton on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Calling all Bike Freaks!

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 pm

You can never go far wrong getting a hybrid bike. The bike 95% of people need. Even if it isn't what 95% of people think they want.

Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braxton

Post by Braxton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 pm

majorhavoc wrote:You can never go far wrong getting a hybrid bike. The bike 95% of people need. Even if it isn't what 95% of people think they want.

That has all the things that I don't want, I am convinced that those bike seats where made to torture my nuts, and that leaned forward stance hurts my back just looking at it. I would like a big wide seat and an upright ride.

Also, I want a single speed bike with a coaster brake. SUPER SIMPLE.

The Cruiser Bikes a walmart looked nice.. But I know most walmart bikes are crap.
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Braxton wrote:I have decided to get off my fat ass and get some exercise. I NEED A BIKE!

I want to get a bike that is both comfortable to ride and can be used every now and then to carry shit home from the store.

I found this online, and man it looks like everything I want.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Ho ... 20022729:s

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions?
You might want to read this
http://bikeportland.org/2011/07/11/walm ... odel-56167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The Hollandia is made in China and boasts a front and rear "Dutch-style rack," bell, light, chainguard and a dualie kickstand. It even comes standard with fenders. Hollandia is not a Walmart house brand. It was created in 2010 by U.S. importer Cycle Force Group. "

ETA - For about the same money
http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/s ... age63.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you can buy a made in the US by Worksman.

Worksman makes some very nice bikes, but expect to pay for the quality.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:34 pm

I agree with Havoc; OP your original choice is pretty good for puttering from A to B and has a ton of apeal on the sensible department: the fenders, rack, upright riding position, comfortable and 'fat' tires make it pretty good at what this particular type of bike was made for: Cruising.
Now, unless the crankset is the standard 175mm and you have some gears to shift to, it is not the ideal "fitness get yourself back into shape" option.

You can adjust the riding stance so it is less forward slopping and an aftermarket seat would provide the comfort you are looking for, of course this will add to the cost of the bike.

Yes you are right about single speed being idiot proof, now are you willing to do without the benefits of adjustable gearing?

Also Workman is the bomb, guy around the neighborhood has one of their trikes and the thing is bulletproof
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Braxton wrote:[

That has all the things that I don't want, I am convinced that those bike seats where made to torture my nuts, and that leaned forward stance hurts my back just looking at it. I would like a big wide seat and an upright ride.

Also, I want a single speed bike with a coaster brake. SUPER SIMPLE.

The Cruiser Bikes a walmart looked nice.. But I know most walmart bikes are crap.
Then you want what I believe is called a "comfort" bike, which is a relaxed hybrid bike with an extra padded seat that looks more comfortable, even if it's not. At least you recognize walmart bikes are crap. As are most online bikes unless they are purchased from established vendors like Performance Bike or Nashbar (that's not an exclusive list, just the one's I'm familiar with).

You best bet is to buy a bike from a local, reputable bike shop, chose a model (or an upgrade) with a seat to your liking, but don't dismiss a multi-speed derailleur drive train; this is incredibly mature technology and they are extremely reliable. And unless you live in incredibly flat terrain with no wind, it is much more practical than a single speed bike.

What you don't want is a cheap-ass online bike with carbon steel tubing and steel rims that you have to assemble yourself and risk ending up with an out-of-tune, overweight, poorly fitted bicycle that is no better than the Walmart special you were trying to avoid in the first place.

I stand by my original statement: a hybrid is the bike 95% of people need, even it it's not the bike 95% of people think they want.
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braxton

Post by Braxton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:45 pm

Looking at those workman bikes now.. Those do look kick ass.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 am

Braxton wrote:Looking at those workman bikes now.. Those do look kick ass.
Their industrial models are brickshithouse tough. Not cheap tho.

Readphnx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the living Dead remake, 28 Days Latter, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead remake.

Post by Readphnx » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:44 am

Jack of many trades master of none.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:25 pm

I am a total bike nerd. I agree that a comfort bike sounds like what you want. I also agree that a single speed coaster brake is a bad idea. They aren't really any tougher than derailleur bikes, and when they DO break, they break completely. Which means either no brakes, or rear wheel locks up and you skid to a stop.
If you want bomb proof, get an old schwinn 5 speed off of craigslist. They're cheap, everywhere, and will last longer than you. :lol:
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 pm

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/3557872608.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like this guy. Only maybe not so tall.
Or:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/3550976090.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Braxton

Post by Braxton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:26 pm

Well I have an Idea. I will post picks of this when I get it built.

This is gonna have to hold me over till I get a worksman.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 pm

If you've not been over to visit 'the' bicycle page set

http://sheldonbrown.com/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

worth your time...

Braxton

Post by Braxton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:18 pm

I just happen to have this exact frame behind my shop. I am gonna get some tires in the morning and see what I can make.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:19 pm

TacAir wrote:If you've not been over to visit 'the' bicycle page set

http://sheldonbrown.com/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

worth your time...
^^^THIS^^^

Zoombee

Post by Zoombee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Braxton wrote: I am convinced that those bike seats where made to torture my nuts, and that leaned forward stance hurts my back just looking at it. I would like a big wide seat and an upright ride.
Crank-forward, which may be called semi-recumbent, townie, etc. The cheaper crank-forward seats like the Giant I had may torture your perineum, so a Rans seat is worth some extra cost. I think the best BOV bike may be the Rans Hammertruck, for the extra cargo capacity and the name, but that model has been discontinued. http://rans.com/bicycles/hammertruck.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another route is buying a surplus bike from someplace where bikes are basic transportation, such as Japan, so their bikes are pure workhorses instead of weekend toys.
My scapegoat ate my homework.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Yanno something? Check into recumbents. Getting 'bent is comfortable, which seems to be your biggest worry. A 'bent tricycle means you can go as slow as you want while a 'bent bicycle is all about speed. Yes, it's a bigger investment but I strongly urge you to check it out if you are serious about pedling your way to fitness.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:23 pm

It's been a long time since I've seriously looked at bikes (basically 10 years), and I've been wanting an all-purpose bombproof bike for city, trail, and bugout (whatever, this is ZS). I recognize these are a little mutually exclusive. I like the idea of an upright mountain bike riding position, as it mimics a dirt bike and standard-style motorcycle (my favorite riding position). Since I last looked many years ago, I've got some unanswered questions and figured I'd go ahead and fuck Braxton's thread up asking them. :crazy:

1. Having a front suspension. When is this a good thing? When is it bad? What capabilities do a "hardtail" bike have that a bike with no suspension doesn't? When is it not worth the weight, and other than popping curbs, what does it do for the rider?

2. Rear suspension. It's heavy and expensive. When is it a good thing to have for the weight and cost penalty? When would I see the benefit from it, and when would I just see a drag in performance? Does a rear suspension pretty much preclude adding panniers or a rack to the back?

3. Gearsets. I grew up hating gearsets like I grew up hating liner-lock knives because I always had to bang away at the cheapest examples of both. What is the most durable and reliable? Shimano XT? XTR is horrifyingly expensive and some of the gears are titanium. That's just for racing, right? What's the breakdown with the Deore, Alivio, etc. stuff?

4. Brakes. Quality rim-mount brakes are fine, disc brakes are for mud, and hydraulic discs are for high-heat racing stuff. Is this correct? What are the pros and cons?

Mind you, I'm not likely to buy any of this soon any more than I'ma get an FN SCAR, night vision, or an underground cistern for water storage. Just a mental exercise.

Sorry if I'm punking your thread, Braxton.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

Braxton

Post by Braxton » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Punk away, I have decided to build a rust monster out of a 60 year old frame I found in a salvage yard.

When I decide to drop 600 bucks, I will get a worksman.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:59 am

Personally, my go-to bike is an old mountain bike that I've turned into a reasonable excuse for a touring bike. I also hate the scrunched up posture, so I added a VERY tall stem with very little reach, then put some wide drop bars on it. This gets my back upright, and gives me a bunch of different hand positions for long rides.
Another thing I've seen done is to put BMX handlebars on a ten speed. Gives you an upright posture for about zero dollars.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:23 am

Vicarious_Lee wrote:It's been a long time since I've seriously looked at bikes (basically 10 years), and I've been wanting an all-purpose bombproof bike for city, trail, and bugout (whatever, this is ZS). I recognize these are a little mutually exclusive. I like the idea of an upright mountain bike riding position, as it mimics a dirt bike and standard-style motorcycle (my favorite riding position). Since I last looked many years ago, I've got some unanswered questions and figured I'd go ahead and fuck Braxton's thread up asking them. :crazy:

1. Having a front suspension. When is this a good thing? When is it bad? What capabilities do a "hardtail" bike have that a bike with no suspension doesn't? When is it not worth the weight, and other than popping curbs, what does it do for the rider?

2. Rear suspension. It's heavy and expensive. When is it a good thing to have for the weight and cost penalty? When would I see the benefit from it, and when would I just see a drag in performance? Does a rear suspension pretty much preclude adding panniers or a rack to the back?

3. Gearsets. I grew up hating gearsets like I grew up hating liner-lock knives because I always had to bang away at the cheapest examples of both. What is the most durable and reliable? Shimano XT? XTR is horrifyingly expensive and some of the gears are titanium. That's just for racing, right? What's the breakdown with the Deore, Alivio, etc. stuff?

4. Brakes. Quality rim-mount brakes are fine, disc brakes are for mud, and hydraulic discs are for high-heat racing stuff. Is this correct? What are the pros and cons?

Mind you, I'm not likely to buy any of this soon any more than I'ma get an FN SCAR, night vision, or an underground cistern for water storage. Just a mental exercise.

1. Any suspension is going to take away ffrom peddling efficiency and add weight and comfort
  2. See 1
  3. That Sheldon Brown website is awesome for figuring out gearing and includes some that you didn't mention as well as internal gearing
  4. Rim brakes are adequate, mostly. Disc brakes are for when you are braking so hard you are heating the rim, like mountain touring, agressive off-road riding, racing, etc. I'm not 100% certain on hydraulic but I could see where they'd offer an advantage to someone with a weak grip due to something like, say, arthritis. Again, Sheldon Brown has a lot of great info and I'm pretty sure there is an answer there.

Zoombee

Post by Zoombee » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 am

I forgot flat prevention. On a BOV I think that would trump everything else. The two basic types of puncture resistant tires are kevlar belted and high thread count. Kevlar is heavier. Inside I sometimes put "thorn resistant" thicker and heavier tubes. There is also slime that can be applied between the tire and tube. Self-sealing tubes have slime inside, but that can ruin a pump. If none of that is good enough, I've read an emergency repair can be done by stuffing the tire with leaves, grass, etc.
My scapegoat ate my homework.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Boy, THIS is a site you could spend a long, confusing time on. Now I have no idea what kind of bike I'd be looking for.

This has the Shimano XT/XTR gearset parts and hydraulic disc brakes that, with my half-day off today, I've learned are not only more powerful and reliable, but allegedly require less maintenance.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gra ... point6.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just have no idea though. That, and 1200 bucks will buy a decent used motorcycle.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

congochris

Post by congochris » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 am

Lee, seriously check out your local craigslist. Last year I managed to pick up 2 old full rigid Specialized Hard Rocks for less than half of a new bike of similar quality. ($160 for both and a set of spare knobbies) All I've done is add bottle cages and they're pretty much perfect. I went through the same thing you are, nashbar, bikesdirect, googling reviews on them all.. and then hit craigslist and found precisely what I was looking for within 2 weeks of starting my search. Sometimes it's worth it to wait, but be ready to take cash in hand, I missed one bike by 10 minutes. That could be considered a good thing though, since I did find the double sale a couple of days later and got not only a bike for me, but one for the wife as well. Seriously, what are the odds of finding a 6'4" guy with a 5'4" wife selling their bikes - and me being 6'2" and my wife being 5'5"?

Last bit of advice: find out what frame size you need. Not much sucks worse than being on a bike that's stupidly small for you. One size does not fit all.

Return to “Transportation”