DIY truck camper build...series?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.
superduder
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie, the LD trilogy, return of the living dead pt I & II,The Battery

DIY truck camper build...series?

Post by superduder » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:24 pm

Okay I bought the plans for a truck bed camper for Small (courier/datsun/luv) pickup that I've wanted for a long time.
Since my cousin and I had one that came on a 74 Datsun pickup back in the early 90s.
Anyhow, thinking of posting a build series, depending on if anyone wants to see it that is.

I only ordered the plans because nobody makes a slide in camper for small trucks (Ranger/Toyota/S10)
and IF you happen to find a used one they cost an arm and a leg AND are usually water damaged so badly they're unusable.
The estimated weight of the camper is 550-750lbs, I'll be shaving weight wherever possible,
And working on a budget/improvising certain parts should make it slightly interesting.

So anyone interested?

Jay

Also,
How do I post a picture? The plans are featured in the Mar '73 popular mechanics and I was trying to post a pic of the cover.
"I've stared Azreal in the face enough that we should be pretty good friends."

RoneKiln

Re: DIY truck camper build...series?

Post by RoneKiln » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:39 pm

Yes!

Several of us have been talking about the new compact Ford Maverick coming out as well, so this will become a growing point of interest.

But... This board is shutting down and the community has largely transitioned over to the new board. The link to it is in my sig line below, and the sig line of many other regulars here.

I recommend checking the sig lines of other regulars here to confirm I'm not spamming you (NT2C is the admin here, and he has it in his sig line), and please come share this build with us. Sharing pics is a lot easier on the new board.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
https://ufozs.com
You'll find us here.

eugene

Re: DIY truck camper build...series?

Post by eugene » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:43 pm

There are a couple companies making campers for smaller trucks. 4wheelcamper makes one. Check expedition portal for a few others. But I prefer DIY as well.