Truck bed storage

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

Truck bed storage

Post by boskone » Mon May 31, 2021 5:17 pm

With my new-used truck, I am checking out my bed storage options.

A tonneau cover is certainly an option, but opinions on those seem mixed; people who rarely really use the bed (or at least stay under the height of the bed) seem to love them, but people who use the bed with fair frequency seem to dislike them. I likely fall into the latter camp.

I have access to several potentially suitable "traditional" toolboxes; there's my old Weather Guard chest box (a white, rather narrow and tall example), my slightly newer UWS aluminum chest box (wider and lower), and a Delta gull-wing (white).

However, I've been seeing a lot of drawer systems being used. I can see some advantages (easier to reach, retain the full horizontal footprint of the bed, potentially better security due to locking tailgate and lower visiblity), and disadvantages (notably losing 10" or so of the bed's depth).

Anyone here used a bed drawer system before with comments on them?

I'll note that I'm debating a truck cap, and a drawer system would leave around 2.5 feed of vertical space with the cap on; I had one on an old truck, and could remove it by myself albeit with not inconsiderable effort. (Removing with a decently capable helper was easy.) That seems like an interesting option for truck camping.

RonnyRonin

Re: Truck bed storage

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon May 31, 2021 6:41 pm

Have a buddy with the Decked drawers and he isn't too fond of them. Lots of wasted space, and the load area is quite a bit higher, both for loading and center of gravity purposes.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon May 31, 2021 6:42 pm

Just coming back around, so I haven't yet seen what you f finally decided on (hope it wasn't black/black :rofl: ) ...but my opinion on truck storage leans towards temporary versus permanent. I have a large (surplus milspec) PVC container ...about 3x3x4. Whenever I need to carry something like tire chains or camping supplies I just load the box in the back.

This way, the truck bed is clear for chores. :words:
Tony D Tiger

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon May 31, 2021 8:14 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:42 pm
Just coming back around, so I haven't yet seen what you f finally decided on (hope it wasn't black/black :rofl: )
Grey exterior, black interior. Not optimum, but good enough...enough so I bought the damned thing instead of waffling longer.
...but my opinion on truck storage leans towards temporary versus permanent. I have a large (surplus milspec) PVC container ...about 3x3x4. Whenever I need to carry something like tire chains or camping supplies I just load the box in the back.

Stuff like camping supplies I don't, but "truck stuff" (straps, tarp, toolkit, etc) stay in the truck. Plus it's nice to have a place to lock things in.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon May 31, 2021 8:14 pm

RonnyRonin wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:41 pm
Have a buddy with the Decked drawers and he isn't too fond of them. Lots of wasted space, and the load area is quite a bit higher, both for loading and center of gravity purposes.
The wasted volume is kinda my concern, yea. Surprised it makes that much difference for CoG, though; good to know.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon May 31, 2021 10:02 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:14 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:42 pm
Just coming back around, so I haven't yet seen what you f finally decided on (hope it wasn't black/black :rofl: )
Grey exterior, black interior. Not optimum, but good enough...enough so I bought the damned thing instead of waffling longer.
...but my opinion on truck storage leans towards temporary versus permanent. I have a large (surplus milspec) PVC container ...about 3x3x4. Whenever I need to carry something like tire chains or camping supplies I just load the box in the back.

Stuff like camping supplies I don't, but "truck stuff" (straps, tarp, toolkit, etc) stay in the truck. Plus it's nice to have a place to lock things in.
Straps, tarp and hand tools I keep in a craftsman tool bag in the cab; along with a windshield sun blocker. No question as to the advantage to having a place to lock up your stuff - around here it's more a question of which window you want busted out. :roll: Next up for me will probably be a headache rack, while I've still got an intact rear slider. :awesome:
Tony D Tiger

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon May 31, 2021 10:36 pm

boskone wrote:
The wasted volume is kinda my concern, yea. Surprised it makes that much difference for CoG, though; good to know.
COG is more speculation on my part; I've never driven it with a load to compare, but I'm sure it's one of those things that doesn't matter until it does. If you are only ever hauling bulky stuff I'm sure it would never matter, but a pallet of something or a load of rock might make a difference. Thinking on it more; the top of the deck drawers might not be any higher up than a flatbed since both are flush with the top of the wheel wells.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:55 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:36 pm
boskone wrote:
COG is more speculation on my part; I've never driven it with a load to compare, but I'm sure it's one of those things that doesn't matter until it does. If you are only ever hauling bulky stuff I'm sure it would never matter, but a pallet of something or a load of rock might make a difference. Thinking on it more; the top of the deck drawers might not be any higher up than a flatbed since both are flush with the top of the wheel wells.
is the weight limit on top of the drawers high enough for the COG to matter much? I thought the drawers severely restricted how much you could put on it.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:42 pm

emclean wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:55 am
RonnyRonin wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 10:36 pm
boskone wrote:
is the weight limit on top of the drawers high enough for the COG to matter much? I thought the drawers severely restricted how much you could put on it.
The ones I've seen--from just a bit of research, hardly comprehensive--are in the 2,000lb range. That's more than most half-ton pickups, so if the extra height adversely effects CoG then it would probably be enough weight to be significant.

Return to “Transportation”