What's your BOV dream rig?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

What's your BOV dream rig?

Post by NT2C » Sun May 02, 2021 8:12 am

Might need to get me one of these:

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What's your BOV dream rig?

Post by CrossCut » Sun May 02, 2021 9:26 am

The KiraVan, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... world.html

Check out his FCC part 90 license for it too, WPQJ562. Especially the frequencies and location tabs.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... ey=1827497 Wonder what that costs him?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 02, 2021 10:15 am

CrossCut wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:26 am
The KiraVan, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... world.html

Check out his FCC part 90 license for it too, WPQJ562. Especially the frequencies and location tabs.
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSea ... ey=1827497 Wonder what that costs him?
I don't think he'll sell it to you.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun May 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Most folks see this

I lean more to

I would add some additional solar and a full (soft) cockpit enclosure.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 02, 2021 3:00 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:57 pm
I lean more to

Single hull and not a cat or trimaran? That's gonna make keeping the gun mounts on target a bit tricky. :crazy:

Current Weather in My AO

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun May 02, 2021 3:26 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:12 am

I'd almost think you live in Boerne. :lol:

I think I'd probably go with something like a BEV 4runner with a multifuel generator in the engine compartment. No fuel? No problem, solar. Have fuel and need to get moving faster than solar? No problem, generator.

Boats might be tempting, except for two problems: I don't know how to run anything more complicated than a bass boat, and if the shit completely hit the fan I'd be headed back to Abilene. (As would most of the family, I expect.)

That said, I'd actually like to take up at least small boat sailing one of these years. A little fair weather cat would be fun, I think. I applied to SpaceX for Boca Chica, and on the off chance I got hired might investigate a gulf-suitable boat.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 02, 2021 4:21 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:26 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:12 am

I'd almost think you live in Boerne. :lol:

I think I'd probably go with something like a BEV 4runner with a multifuel generator in the engine compartment. No fuel? No problem, solar. Have fuel and need to get moving faster than solar? No problem, generator.

Boats might be tempting, except for two problems: I don't know how to run anything more complicated than a bass boat, and if the shit completely hit the fan I'd be headed back to Abilene. (As would most of the family, I expect.)

That said, I'd actually like to take up at least small boat sailing one of these years. A little fair weather cat would be fun, I think. I applied to SpaceX for Boca Chica, and on the off chance I got hired might investigate a gulf-suitable boat.
Somewhere in all my junk I still have my license to operate both a sailboat (little Hobie Cat) and a powerboat (I forget what they were) in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Probably gonna be difficult to renew though.

Current Weather in My AO

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon May 03, 2021 2:25 pm

A little helicopter would be awesome, but I dunno how to fly.

Dream car that can be a BOV would probably be the G-Wagon.

But once that I can afford (sorta) would be a nice 4 door Jeep JK (think terminator salvation).

An odd pipe dream one would be a restomod Ford Bronco. With a nicely built small block, upgraded axles and transfer case and transmission... Would be perfect.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu May 06, 2021 11:13 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 3:00 pm
TacAir wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:57 pm
I lean more to

Single hull and not a cat or trimaran? That's gonna make keeping the gun mounts on target a bit tricky. :crazy:
Worked for the brown water Navy back in the day.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon May 10, 2021 10:44 pm

I've never been a car guy. I make decent money but am still happy driving my 25 year old honda civic.

But... A mint condition classic BJ-41 landcruiser (yes, BJ, it's diesel) in mint condition is for sale just over the border from me. It was garaged its entire road life and then spent the last 28 years as a floor show piece in a car dealership. All hoses, belts, etc have been replaced, but it's never needed a rebuild. It is stunning.

Technically I can afford it. It just wouldn't be a responsible purchase.

It haunts me. :shock: :cry:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:44 pm
I've never been a car guy. I make decent money but am still happy driving my 25 year old honda civic.

But... A mint condition classic BJ-41 landcruiser (yes, BJ, it's diesel) in mint condition is for sale just over the border from me. It was garaged its entire road life and then spent the last 28 years as a floor show piece in a car dealership. All hoses, belts, etc have been replaced, but it's never needed a rebuild. It is stunning.

Some years ago, I nearly got hold of a CJ-7 in good condition with a blown engine, and elsewhere a BT4. Someone(s) else bought them before I could.

Financially, it's better that I didn't...but there's still some lingering regret over that.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon May 10, 2021 11:34 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 pm
RoneKiln wrote:

Some years ago, I nearly got hold of a CJ-7 in good condition with a blown engine, and elsewhere a BT4. Someone(s) else bought them before I could.

Financially, it's better that I didn't...but there's still some lingering regret over that.
They might have gone up in value and financially paid off. :lol:

That's what my best friend keeps taunting me with on a classsic FJ or BJ. "It will go up in value so it's an investment!" :evil:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 10, 2021 11:42 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 pm
RoneKiln wrote:

Man, I'd love to swap the V6 in my Dakota for a BT4. Get about the same HP but twice the torque for towing.

Current Weather in My AO

Return to “Transportation”