What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

Re: What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:13 pm

Brekar wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:50 pm
I have an old Scout I'm thinking about fixing up next, unless someone makes an offer...
One of my coworkers just got one as a gift, non-running but mostly intact, barned. I linked him an article about crate electric motors, he's considering it. GM's supposedly putting one out that's a drop-in for their big-block v8, and a company called Revolt has a Tesla motor with gearing that's supposed to be a drop-in for LS1s.

Which has me thinking of an EV conversion of my Tundra, Ol' Earl. He's leaky, creaky, and cantankerous on cold mornings, and also quite possibly worth more as scrap than trade-in. Haveta get a few other things in line first, though, but I think an EV pickup with 100mi or so range would be really neat for a daily driver.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:20 pm

I've been toying with modernizing one of these trucks by dropping a 6.6L Turbodiesel V8 engine into one of them, I've got 1953 L130 1 ton with a 9 foot bed that might end up like that...

An electric motor in an older SUV like the Scout could be interesting. For something like the Scout my only issue's would be along the lines of could I still use the 4x4 part of it, can it tow anything, how does it charge etc? The concept is very interesting though. I'd bet that it's not cheap...

There is a guy on the GBody forum I frequent that is tossing around the idea of putting an electric motor into an 1986 Monte Carlo SS, that could be interesting, since the one you mentioned is supposed to be a drop in for an LS swap, which is probably the most common engine dropped into a GBody these days...

The one I have was part of a 3 truck deal, more of a take that with you if you want those 2. It is straight, no dents or broken windows, but has no interior at all. Plus someone at some point painted it some sort of Robin Egg blue with a spray can, so it's color is hideous to say the least, but no rust really to speak of...

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:40 pm

Regarding towing and 4x4, I have no idea. His purpose--and mine--would be light work.

Cost looks to be a bit north of $12k, based on existing EV motor kits, but it's hard to say. Especially GM's motors; they'd probably benefit more than Tesla or the like from economies of scale.

But, honestly, what I'd really like is a PHEV pickup or SUV. All that sexy electric torque, acceleration, and efficiency with the ability to splash some dino squeezin's in if needed. Or syngas, maybe. That could be a neat disaster-resistant conversion.

"Whatcha got in there?"
"A 150kW electric, run off of sunlight or wood."
"???"

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:08 pm

Managed to find a rear window out of an '88 Blazer that fit the CUCV, so Yay! No more Plexiglas back window. Window Regulator is still goobered, so it's staked in right now. Either going to replace with the manual, or I may see if I can wire up the electric model from a civvie K5

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:50 pm

Picked up one of these solar panels to try and keep the battery in our spare vehicle charged. Now that we have the Jeep we don't use the pickup as much and the last time I tried to the battery was dead and needed to be recharged. Hopefully, this will stop that from happening again.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:43 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:50 pm
Picked up one of these solar panels to try and keep the battery in our spare vehicle charged. Now that we have the Jeep we don't use the pickup as much and the last time I tried to the battery was dead and needed to be recharged. Hopefully, this will stop that from happening again.
I have something like that. I'm yet to use it.

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:15 pm

Changed the wiper blades, oil, filter and oil level sensor as it kept saying 'check oil level' but it was reading fine on the dipstick.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:35 pm

Pulled the pickup into the garage for a battery charge. The wife tried to use it and the battery was too dead for it to idle when she got it started. I should have charged the battery fully before putting the solar maintainer on it but I'll correct that issue overnight with a long slow charge and then she and I agreed it needs to be driven more. We'll try to put a few miles on it every week, even if I just have to drive down and wave at Anianna's house as I go past and back home.

I'll also check tire pressures before parking it back outside.

And, I bought a magnetic beacon for the vehicles. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Sometimes, when doing amateur radio stuff, I end up parked along a road and a good warning light comes in handy. Of course, my old truck loaded with Class 1 and Class 2 highway lights may have spoiled me.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Return to “Transportation”