strap cutter\ rescue tool

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
aikorob
* * *
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm

strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by aikorob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:49 pm

do you keep one in your car?
accessible if you are belted in the drivers seat?
how do you have it mounted\secured?

I am adding a stand alone one to the truck---I have one strapped to the truck bag, but that is always in the back seat or tool box. At first I thought...velcro the sheath to the upright side of the seat --- but I have side air bags. The latest thought is velcro'ed to the seat belt down by the tensioner...........suggestions?
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

tony d tiger
* *
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by tony d tiger » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:45 pm

Think about where it will go upon impact, that might help you decide where and how to put it.
I have one in the center console, along with a window breaker, a flashlight, wide sharpie... :awesome: basically a mini-BOB.

I also usually have a knife or two, a flashlight, and a space pen on me... go figure.

Side air bags, eh? What year/make/model? Mine is an older car. It does have airbags (2)... but no computer/gps/black box.
Tony D Tiger

yossarian
* * * * *
Posts: 2180
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:09 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by yossarian » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:07 pm

https://www.amazon.com/01-100-09-Origin ... qme&sr=8-2

The part that is supposed to attach to the keychain is tied very securely to the column shifter with 550 cord. Accessible from the driver's and passenger's seat and it's not going anywhere in a rollover.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

User avatar
EBuff75
* *
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Location: SE Michigan

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by EBuff75 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:50 pm

My Resqme tools came with zip ties, which let me attach them to the shifter column in both my vehicles. I made the loop small enough that they can't slide out past the knob on the end, so they can't come off short of me cutting them loose. That puts them easily within reach and yet out of the way so that they don't take up any storage space, or have to be dug out of a pocket/storage area, and they can't go flying off somewhere out of reach in an accident.

User avatar
aikorob
* * *
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by aikorob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:20 pm

https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/activi ... -30-000590
F150 crew cab
didn't really consider if would be accessible to passenger also
center console has a flat front---maybe a large piece of adhesive velcro
have to look and see if there is enough steering column exposed...............I could use something like this:https://www.mcmaster.com/hook-and-loop-straps
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

tony d tiger
* *
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by tony d tiger » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:40 am

aikorob wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:20 pm
https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/activi ... -30-000590
F150 crew cab
didn't really consider if would be accessible to passenger also
center console has a flat front---maybe a large piece of adhesive velcro
have to look and see if there is enough steering column exposed...............I could use something like this:https://www.mcmaster.com/hook-and-loop-straps
Ayuh - I also have the Gerber. Good tool.
Tony D Tiger

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:14 am

I have a RESQME on my keychain and a hammer style window breaker / seatbelt cutter in my passenger side glovebox for both cars.

Image


I EDC a Kershaw Blur folder in my pants pocket and a Leatherman ST300 on my belt. The Blur will cut seatbelts and break windows, and the Leatherman's pliers will break windows. The RESQME will easily break windows under water where, the others might not.

Daily use of the EDC tools have me confident they will work for me, I've tested the resqme's glass breaker but have never tried it's seatbelt cutter, and haven't test used the hammer tool at all.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

echo83
* *
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by echo83 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:49 am

I EDC a Gerber MP 600, so I don't have a totally pressing need for one... but I've thought of picking up a strap cutter, too:

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... plus/58975

If I had to mount it somewhere, I'd go with (no particular order, here) driver side visor, steering column, or center console. Food for thought, definitely.

User avatar
aikorob
* * *
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by aikorob » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:14 am

echo83 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:49 am
I EDC a Gerber MP 600, so I don't have a totally pressing need for one... but I've thought of picking up a strap cutter, too:

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... plus/58975

If I had to mount it somewhere, I'd go with (no particular order, here) driver side visor, steering column, or center console. Food for thought, definitely.
visor is good idea----good thing I'm not a deer...........I didn't think to look up
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

echo83
* *
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:52 pm

Re: strap cutter\ rescue tool

Post by echo83 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:20 am

aikorob wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:14 am
echo83 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:49 am
I EDC a Gerber MP 600, so I don't have a totally pressing need for one... but I've thought of picking up a strap cutter, too:

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/ ... plus/58975

If I had to mount it somewhere, I'd go with (no particular order, here) driver side visor, steering column, or center console. Food for thought, definitely.
visor is good idea----good thing I'm not a deer...........I didn't think to look up
Right? I mean if you need a strap cutter badly enough, it could be because you're upside down already. Your visor will be in easy reach.

Post Reply

Return to “Transportation”