Living in a van, down by the river...

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Living in a van, down by the river...

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:37 am

While this is a well know bit from SNL (youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8) it is, in reality, a choice many make today as a way of life. In high cost areas, most notably the bay area, it is the only way many can afford to live. and work locally. My own niece lived in a van for months with her SO in the LA area and western US - some about making a go of being a 'comedian'. They now have 'real' employment, but I was surprised that they had made that choice.

Use "Vanlife" or "Digital Nomad" or "camping in (your make/model auto)" as a search string and you'll find thousands of web pages, UTOOB vids and all manner of books, etc.about van conversions, full time RV living and as a subset of that, folks that live in a RV and work temp gigs as a way to 'finance' their travels. .

All of this had been something I'd looked over from time to time as I have a Eurovan camper and might find a good tip or two. Anyway, this week I finally retired my faithful 1995 Sidekick and picked up a Kia Soul for a around town auto.

In looking for cargo mats, I was surprised to find dozens of videos on how to convert this sub-compact into a 'camper'. As I dug a bit more, I found a mass of 'conversions' for other tiny autos - Prius, 4Runner and so on.

By now, you might be wondering what this thread is about...

Should you be forced to flee your home, you might also be forced to live out of your rig from some time - like these folks (https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/17/us/calif ... index.html).

These videos may offer some valuable tips for living out of your auto for an extended period of time if hotels, shelters or other venues are not available.

If nothing else, you might be trickled to see how inventive some folks are in these conversions
Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTAix7sOBuE
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: Living in a van, down by the river...

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:37 am
If nothing else, you might be trickled to see how inventive some folks ...
Trickle me once, shame on you, trickle me twice ...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Something I've always dreamed about: Vandwelling & Fulltiming

This is the biggest reason that giving up my van (Lucy) hurt so much. I was going to do exactly what Tacair was talking about. If I had to, that is.

Your literally living in a shoebox.

Sportsmobile - escapod - Scamp

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:47 pm

I'm actually looking to fulltime, at least for a year or so. Buy a ~30ft RV, sell the house, and hang out in the RV until I find land I like.

Once I'm done with that I might well sell the RV in favor of something like a Casita, Keystone R-pod, or similar. Or keep it and convert a V-nose cargo trailer, might be a fun project for comfort camping.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:41 pm

boskone wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:47 pm
I'm actually looking to fulltime, at least for a year or so. Buy a ~30ft RV, sell the house, and hang out in the RV until I find land I like.

Once I'm done with that I might well sell the RV in favor of something like a Casita, Keystone R-pod, or similar. Or keep it and convert a V-nose cargo trailer, might be a fun project for comfort camping.
There is a massive number of "full time" vids posted to UToob.

One site I would suggest is "RV Sue and her canine crew" (https://rvsueandcrew.net/)a very well done site by a retired school teacher that followed the weather for over 6 years in a 17 ft Casita tow-behind. She documented day to day life with a focus on free/cheap places to stay. Her perspective is solid.

I've sold off my 5th wheel, and run a EUrovan camper - a lot cheaper and no storage fees....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Return to “Transportation”