Moab bought a '99 Jeep Wrangler TJ!

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

moab

Re: Moab bought a '99 Jeep Wrangler TJ!

Post by moab » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:37 pm

So I got the ugly ass flares painted. And the 80's fat side steps removed. Before and after pics below.

I used less than one can of SEM adhesion promoter and one can of SEM trim black. I prepped them with Dawn, then hit them with grey automotive scotch brite pads and water to get the black dye I tried to use on them off. Then wiped them down with acetone. One coat of adhesion promoter. And 3 to 4 light coats of the SEM trim black. They turned out beautiful. And being in Socal none of the fittings or nutserts were a problem. Not a single spinning bolt.

I'm so happy to have these done. This was the one major thing bothering me about the Jeep since day one. Those blue/grey sun bleached flares just made the whole Jeep look like crap imho. Very happy to have it done.

Next up is to replace or repaint the front and rear bumpers. I have a tubular rear bumper with spare tire carrier. But not the matching front tubular bumper yet. If I had both I would just remove the stock bumpers and put the new ones on. But in the meantime I may just paint the old ones. Until I can get the new front bumper.

It's pretty amazing how it's turning out. It was an ugly dog when I started. Sun bleached. And outfitted with so many worn out parts. And sun bleached top, flares and exterior. I think the three best upgrades were - full doors, late model 03-06 seats, and the new Rampage soft top in Khaki.

Next I think will be new led's inside and out. New sound deadener on the tub. And new ACC carpet in black. New Truck Lite knock off LED headlights. All of which I have ready to install. Oh. And I need a new clock spring. Airbags and horn are out at the moment. I'd also like to replace the Smittybilt roll bar covers and padding with OEM covers and padding. This Jeep was left out in the sun a fair amount and they are faded. Not to mention the Smittybilt padding is worthless.

Eventually I want to put Patagonia MT tires on it. I think that will really make it look like an offroad vehicle a lot more than it does now. But I think I might wait until I can afford a OME 2" lift. So I can get slightly bigger tires than stock.

The full doors are a little rough. I think I'll eventually have them touched up and then have the entire Jeeps paint color corrected (buffed out).

Before all of my improvements to date:

After:

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:08 pm

May I ask that you, please, not skimp on the LED headlights? Yeah, some of the knock-offs are awesome and indistinguishable from the name brands, but dazzling other drivers with bad lights can have deadly consequences. Go for the good ones with genuine SAE and DOT certs and be safe. We'd like to keep you around here for a long time to come. Image
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:30 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:08 pm
May I ask that you, please, not skimp on the LED headlights? Yeah, some of the knock-offs are awesome and indistinguishable from the name brands, but dazzling other drivers with bad lights can have deadly consequences. Go for the good ones with genuine SAE and DOT certs and be safe. We'd like to keep you around here for a long time to come. Image
I know exactly what your saying. I hate headlights that are too bright. And I always flash people that have them incorrectly adjusted or just to bright. But read this thread if you get a chance. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rep ... offs.6239/ a lot of offroad guys are running the exact copy Truck Lite knock offs. As they are about a quarter of the price and just as good a quality. (And probably made in the same factory.) Including the break off where the light stops at the top of the beam. So your not blinding people. I can't afford $300 headlights. (I think these exact copy knock offs are $65 IIRC.) I wouldn't even upgrade to LED if these knock offs didn't exist. I'd just continue with my stock headlamps. That wouldn't be as illuminating. Thus not as safe imho. They also have the DOT logo. And or SAE. But weren't you the one that posted that neither of them prove any quality? As the Department of Transportation does not test anything. Anyway someone posted that fact some time ago.

Either way I put more faith in the many offroad/Jeep guys testing them out themselves and reporting back great results. Than any corporate testimony about their own products. I try to stick with top quality OEM parts when I can. And Mopar parts are not cheap for a Jeep. (a lot don't even exist anymore.) But when I can save $250 on headlamps I do. I mean I wouldn't even spend that much if I had it. So the $65 version is a bit of a godsend to me. And a huge upgrade from stock incandescent headlights. Not to mention everything else I buy is from China practically. Including my flashlights. ;) Why pay more for something just because it has a corporate logo? I'm all for buying American. But not when it costs me more than our meager income can handle.

But also let me tell you that I know of many more products that don't work that great that are cheaper. And they always come out in the off roading community. Because just like our forum. Everyone shares their experiences. And if someone feels ripped off it's the first thing to spread like wildfire. lol. I think I'll be ok with these headlights if they are adjusted properly. Like I said they have a very clear well defined cut off point at the top of the beam. Pics in that thread show it. That's the number one concern of all the guys looking to run them. As no one wants to be that asshat blinding people on the road.

BTW where have you been the last few weeks? Haven't seen many of your posts.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:22 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:30 pm
NT2C wrote:
I know exactly what your saying. I hate headlights that are too bright. And I always flash people that have them incorrectly adjusted or just to bright. But read this thread if you get a chance. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/rep ... offs.6239/ a lot of offroad guys are running the exact copy Truck Lite knock offs. As they are about a quarter of the price and just as good a quality. (And probably made in the same factory.) Including the break off where the light stops at the top of the beam. So your not blinding people. I can't afford $300 headlights. (I think these exact copy knock offs are $65 IIRC.) I wouldn't even upgrade to LED if these knock offs didn't exist. I'd just continue with my stock headlamps. That wouldn't be as illuminating. Thus not as safe imho. They also have the DOT logo. And or SAE. But weren't you the one that posted that neither of them prove any quality? As the Department of Transportation does not test anything. Anyway someone posted that fact some time ago.

Either way I put more faith in the many offroad/Jeep guys testing them out themselves and reporting back great results. Than any corporate testimony about their own products. I try to stick with top quality OEM parts when I can. And Mopar parts are not cheap for a Jeep. (a lot don't even exist anymore.) But when I can save $250 on headlamps I do. I mean I wouldn't even spend that much if I had it. So the $65 version is a bit of a godsend to me. And a huge upgrade from stock incandescent headlights. Not to mention everything else I buy is from China practically. Including my flashlights. ;) Why pay more for something just because it has a corporate logo? I'm all for buying American. But not when it costs me more than our meager income can handle.

But also let me tell you that I know of many more products that don't work that great that are cheaper. And they always come out in the off roading community. Because just like our forum. Everyone shares their experiences. And if someone feels ripped off it's the first thing to spread like wildfire. lol. I think I'll be ok with these headlights if they are adjusted properly. Like I said they have a very clear well defined cut off point at the top of the beam. Pics in that thread show it. That's the number one concern of all the guys looking to run them. As no one wants to be that asshat blinding people on the road.

You're right, DOT doesn't do any testing (at least not the USDOT, various state DOTs may), instead they rely on the SAE which does test, and rather extensively. Sort of the automotive version of Underwriters Laboratories. And no, I don't think I'm the one who said that at least not that I can remember.

I've been around but I've had a lot going on. Helping out a couple that I know with their dogs. (He's retired USMC currently away training for a career with Federal Protective Services for the next 3 months, she's a retired USA combat medic who had to go in for stomach surgery. They needed someone to care for their 4 pitbulls for a couple days while she was in the hospital and until her brother could get there from Florida to take over their care, and the dogs love me. So, I was driving 40 miles several times a day to let the dogs out, play with them in the yard, feed them, etc.)

At the same time, we're trying to get the house up for sale and the wife decided we (me) needed to upgrade ALL the lights in and outside the house to LED, and change all the switches and outlets.

And at the same time as all that, I've been getting a helluva lot of breakthrough pain (6-7 range with spikes to 7-8 on a 10 scale) and my doc has me on new meds with my med schedule has me sleeping less than 6 hours at a time, so I've been nodding off in my chair every time I sit down to use the computer. Old age can suck at times.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:22 pm
moab wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:30 pm
NT2C wrote:

You're right, DOT doesn't do any testing (at least not the USDOT, various state DOTs may), instead they rely on the SAE which does test, and rather extensively. Sort of the automotive version of Underwriters Laboratories. And no, I don't think I'm the one who said that at least not that I can remember.

I've been around but I've had a lot going on. Helping out a couple that I know with their dogs. (He's retired USMC currently away training for a career with Federal Protective Services for the next 3 months, she's a retired USA combat medic who had to go in for stomach surgery. They needed someone to care for their 4 pitbulls for a couple days while she was in the hospital and until her brother could get there from Florida to take over their care, and the dogs love me. So, I was driving 40 miles several times a day to let the dogs out, play with them in the yard, feed them, etc.)

At the same time, we're trying to get the house up for sale and the wife decided we (me) needed to upgrade ALL the lights in and outside the house to LED, and change all the switches and outlets.

And at the same time as all that, I've been getting a helluva lot of breakthrough pain (6-7 range with spikes to 7-8 on a 10 scale) and my doc has me on new meds with my med schedule has me sleeping less than 6 hours at a time, so I've been nodding off in my chair every time I sit down to use the computer. Old age can suck at times.
I hear ya brother. I've had two back surgeries and three artificial disc replacements. The one in my neck went well. But I wish I'd done fusions on my two lumbar discs. Been in pain for a decade over that one.

Sounds like you've been busy. What is the plan after you sell your house?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:24 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:22 pm

I hear ya brother. I've had two back surgeries and three artificial disc replacements. The one in my neck went well. But I wish I'd done fusions on my two lumbar discs. Been in pain for a decade over that one.

Sounds like you've been busy. What is the plan after you sell your house?
Move to Northern Idaho (wife's from there) and buy or build a place using my GI benefits that I never used. I'd like to get 10-15 acres, something large enough and remote enough to set up a shooting range on, if not 100 yard range then at least 50 yards, as well as room for my antennas and an area for the cats to use. I was supposed to get an MRI on my back two weeks ago but had to reschedule it because money was too tight this month (property taxes had to be paid) to cover the $350 co-pay. My new neurologist was a little concerned that physical therapy made my back pain worse. Not actually a great month last month for "pain news" since I also found out there's nothing else that can be done for the pain from the damaged nerves, not even surgery at this point. Ah well, whatta ya gonna do? Shit happens sometimes. I'll survive.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:50 pm

I've done quite a bit since my last post. Painted front and rear bumpers, (this all require removing all these items, disassembling them, scrubbing them with a grey scotchbrite pads and dawn dish detergent, then wiping down with acetone and then painting them with adhesion promoter and paint, re-assembling them and then putting them back on the Jeep. It's not just breaking out a paint can. lol.). Painted gas cap trim and license plate holder , gas tank, tail pipe. I had to remove the first two but not the last two. Added yellow Helle fog lights. Removed the tow bar. Replaced the clock spring so my airbags and horn work again. That was annoying to say the least.

Got a brand new rear seat that someone had apparently put in a closet 20 yrs ago and left it. Only paid about $100 for it. And it's in perfect condition. Roughly matches the front seats from the newer Jeep I took them out of. I sold the ugly cream colored aftermarket rear seat I originally had in there for $150. Doing a tune up saturday. And replacing the upstream O2 sensor. Hoping to improve my mpg. Also gonna do some tune up on my soft top. Adding some pipe insulation to the inside framework to stop a bad flapping noise. Gonna also adjust the front attachment of the soft top. Hope to tighten things up. She's pretty noisy at speed on the freeway. Which maxes out at about 65 mph. lol! I can do 70 or maybe 75. But it's white knuckling it.

If you look back at the original pics. I've really improved the look of the car overall. Not essential to the bug out. lol! But essential nonetheless. ;) The paint is better protecting the metal parts. And I'm not embarrassed to drive her in public anymore. I did put over $1200 into mechanical repairs and upgrades. And after I do the tune up, change all fluids - I mean all of them, the Jeep will be in tip top condition. Then I can start working on outfitting for a BO, and figuring out all the things I'm going to carry in it on the daily. And what I'd add for an actual BO.

gary83

Post by gary83 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Looks really great! Have a TJ also and I just bought some jeep accessories including grab handles, floor mats and a stubby antenna. My next plan is to get auxiliary lights and upgrade the headlights. By the way, what paint did you use for the bumpers?

moab

Post by moab » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:29 pm

gary83 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:11 pm
Looks really great! Have a TJ also and I just bought some jeep accessories including grab handles, floor mats and a stubby antenna. My next plan is to get auxiliary lights and upgrade the headlights. By the way, what paint did you use for the bumpers?
You need to join https://wranglertjforum.com/ There isn't a better forum. With a better bunch of people. Forum is nicely moderated. And some hardcore Jeep guys on there that really know there stuff. But no bullshit like on pirate4x4 or the wrangler forums.

I used SEM Trim Black. And SEM adhesion promoter too. Washed them down with dawn and a grey scotchbrite auto body pad. So I kind of cleaned and sanded them at the same time. Rinsed. Let dry. And short coats of the adhesion promoter and paint. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE CAN. I can't say that loud enough. You'd be surprised how little you knew about spray paint. Once you've actually read the instructions. I always put a light coat down. Let it dry overnight and then finish up with more coats. When I should have been only waiting 15 minutes between coats.

If you do any interior make sure to use SEM Landau Black. It's the closest color match.

gary83

Post by gary83 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Thanks for the tips. I just signed up in wranglertjforum.

Return to “Transportation”