Guy in the middle of nowhere loses his BOV to fire?!!!

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Guy in the middle of nowhere loses his BOV to fire?!!!

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:02 pm

moab wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 pm
SCBrian wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:33 pm
I dunno, I've seen some start from having a hot engine sitting over dead grass, and he meets both those things. Now it may have spread to something oil related after that...
Actually he was parked on a dry dirt road. There was no grass on the road. And it definitely started at the firewall. I'm thinking wiring. He's not a guy that races around the desert either. He usually travels at a slow pace. SO it wasn't like he was un-naturally heating up his engine.

But either way. I don't think it was his fault. I just applaud him for his mental state and taking care of it as best anyone could.
In that style Jeep, and many other American made vehicles, the master cylinder and ABS modules sit above and to the side of the left bank exhaust manifolds of V configuration engines. Should any of the brake lines going to/from those components loosen, crack or otherwise spring a leak, that brake fluid is going to spray on or close to a very hot surface. If it's a rear brake line you may not even feel it or notice a drop in your braking efficiency since the front brakes do about 80% of the braking due to weight shift.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 am

I'm surprised to see this is a JK and not a new JL as the new JL wranglers seem to be catching fire quite often.

Regardless, I believe Jeep uses a lot of magnesium in the tailgates and dash area... not good for a fire
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 am
Regardless, I believe Jeep uses a lot of magnesium in the tailgates and dash area... not good for a fire
Not as bad as you think (if they even do) since magnesium in bulk form is very hard to ignite, and it's doubtful they'd used it unalloyed, since pure magnesium corrodes readily in the presence of some metals, such as iron.

Wiki article about Magnesium
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

moab

Post by moab » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:01 pm

Think if that guy didn't have that shovel? He'd have started a HUGE wildfire! That should almost be mandatory equipment for going out there in that heat and dryness.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:31 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:10 am
Not as bad as you think (if they even do) since magnesium in bulk form is very hard to ignite, and it's doubtful they'd used it unalloyed, since pure magnesium corrodes readily in the presence of some metals, such as iron.

Wiki article about Magnesium
Oooo good stuff!! With car fires being a million degrees, I'm sure metal construction is only a theoretical debate unless we are talking Ford Pinto.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:24 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:31 pm
Oooo good stuff!! With car fires being a million degrees, I'm sure metal construction is only a theoretical debate unless we are talking Ford Pinto.
When you're talking about the Pinto the issue is as much about location as it is materials. Fuel tanks in crumple zones between an impact surface and a hard structure (rear axle) are generally a bad thing.

Return to “Transportation”