It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:31 pm 

Picked up a new vehicle friday night. It's a 2007 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 99k miles. Haven't decided how far I'm going to take the BOV part of fixing it up. But I got the engine compartment cleaned out tonight at the carwash. Only place that really needed it. Will get it detailed later in the week.

I got the 4x4 over the AWD Denali as the 4x4 is real 4x4. With an auto, 4 low and 4 high. Whereas the AWD is just auto. Because of this it doesn't have all the bells and whistles on it. But planning on adding a few. In no particular order:

1) Sunroof OEM install from the dealer.
2) Maybe a nav and back up system. It's made for a 7 inch? monitor in the dash. That's nav and back up capable. I'd probably go with something aftermarket rather than OEM. I think I'd get more bang for my buck. Any recommendations?
3) NEw tires. The old ones are kind of worn. Still debating all terrain or not. Have all terrains on there now. But kind of noisy. Moving to WA in a year and a half though. Any recommendations for tires?
4) Some kind of lockable box for the back trunk area. to keep a BOB in and other roadside stuff I don't want stolen. It does have that handy cover for the trunk area that rolls out over the top of it. Hiding anyting in the far back.
5) Install my gun safe under passenger rear seat. It's about the size of one handgun and a couple mags. Works in CA. Closest to CCW while driving you can get.
6) Second battery. It has a tray for one. do these autmoatically switch to the second battery if the first konks out?
7) The dash is cracked. Might be a warranty issue. Looking into it now.
8) It needs a main seal replaced. Not leaking bad. But needs to be replaced. That's at the top of my list. And a sensor called a TPMS sensor.
9) Some kind of luggage rack for the top.
10) Gotta check my spare. It's supposed to be a full. But I need to check. If not I'm getting a full size spare of course.
11) Full set of Husky rubber mats. It has blacks ones up front. But I'd like to get a full set of Huskys in grey for the entire car. Including the far back.

That's it for now. If you have any other ideas or help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

P.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:59 pm 

Nice. Needs a brushguard. Fox labs pepper spray fits perfect in those door pockets. DAMHIK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:21 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

You said you wanted tires?

I would go all-terrain over standard highway/all-seasons. Most of the modern all-terrains ride just as nicely and give you good wear patterns but also good traction in any situation.

I highly recommend Cooper AT3s (or their cousins, the Mastercraft AXT). I've run (or had a buddy) with just about every tire on the market. Can't beat the Cooper if you want tame road manners but excellent off road and winter capability.

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-r ... -the-road/

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:57 pm 

Why can't this site subscribe you to a single damn thread? Really upsets me. Just venting here. But this type of thing keeps me from donating again. Get your stuff together admins/owner. I participate a lot on this site. But less so because I can't get a single thread to let me know of any responses. Wonder why people don't come back? Cause they don't know anybody gave a crap about their thread they started or responded too. Cause the subscribe button doesn't work!

Stepping off my soapbox.

Ya. I found these tires. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... ngsReviews They're rated, if not number one, in the top three on Consumer Reports and many other places. (The aftermarket ones. Not the ones that came stock on ford trucks mind you. those sound a little less than the aftermarket ones you can buy.)

These are all terrains. And I trust CR as they are the only major review organization not corporate funded. And for some reason I believe the reviews on the Tirerack too. They just sound to real to be fake. Not all good either. But most are great. Meaning they speak highly of these tires. And they're only $130 a piece and $60 to deliver all four anywhere in the CONUS. Walmart will mount them for some ridiculous low price too. Like ten or fifteen bucks a tire. So for around $640 you've got a great new set of tires mounted on your ride and ready to go. They even deliver direct to most major tire places for you. So you don't have to haul them anywhere. The ones I have on it though aren't that worn as I thought. The dealership said they needed to be replaced when I had it inspected prior to the purchase. But there's a lot of tread life left imho. So I might put off new tires till later in the year.

I spent the last week working to much. So I didn't get a lot done on the Yukon. I did clean the engine, the outside, and ordered some stuff for it. New phone mount. New liftgate arms as they are a little weak. I'm gonna try to mount those myself tomorrow. It does need a new main seal. And headlight housings - both are milky and one has a leak so water is getting in it. But I'm having those done shortly. Also looking into a new video receiver for the dash where a stock unit would go. But getting an aftermarket one without nav. I don't trust in dash nav over my phone. Which can be fed to a video receiver in the same place. And my phone gets updated every year or two. Unlike an indash nav unit. And the software is updated regularly. And it includes traffic info. I do want a back up cam though. This is the first XL I've ever owned. And I can already see the need for one. For around $350 I can get one installed at Crutchfield. With a pretty impressive head unit/video monitor that will play dvds and usb thumbdrives.

Looking at a full set of Husky floor mats. It has ones in the front but they are black and not grey. The guy was smart though. He turned all the carpet mats (including the cargo mat) upside down. So the carpets are in pristine condition.

It's also set up from the factory for a second battery. Has the tray in there already and everything. Except the battery and an isolator. So I might have that put in at an RV shop at some point soon. That way I can run all my handheld radios and scanners when I bug out. As well as an invertor for a laptop or anything else we need to run.

Pretty excited to have it though. It's a sweet ride. And I'm really enjoying it. Need to get a vehicle kit started though. Gonna start a wishlist for that.

Any other suggestions?

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:54 am 

Nice. That thing's a beast!