Stupid Little Things That Hurt Like Hell

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

xd dude

Post by xd dude » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:01 pm

duodecima wrote:
xd dude wrote:Sriracha in the eye.
jalapeno juice in the nose.
fiberglass splinters in my palm (because I was an idiot and didn't wear gloves when working with it like I'd been told. :oops: )
a buddy of mine got Jalapeño juice in his eye at a restaurant. He was running up and down the dining room screaming.

Maverick299

Re: Stupid Little Things That Hurt Like Hell

Post by Maverick299 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:41 pm

I forgot to add, handling hot peppers from the garden and not thoroughly washing your hands before going to the bathroom. :( Makes my man parts hurt again just thinking about it!
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Recon101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Degeneration, The Walking Dead, Dead, and 28 Days and Weeks later.

Post by Recon101 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 am

Maverick299 wrote:I forgot to add, handling hot peppers from the garden and not thoroughly washing your hands before going to the bathroom. :( Makes my man parts hurt again just thinking about it!
That reminds me. Taking the OC yearly certification course.
"Typos brought to you by Auto Correct."

Jorian

Post by Jorian » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 am

Root canals without anaesthetic... worst thing I ever experienced.

tinythief

Post by tinythief » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Getting stitches pulled out while waiting for the painkillers to set in :(

Having your arm covered in medical tape to seal wound, only to find out 2 days later your allergic to the adhesive they use :( :(

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:47 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote:1. Snapping plastic shelves together while not wearing a bra and pinching my lady parts in the shelf.
2. Ironing something to wear to work while extremely pregnant and accidentally passing the edge of the iron across my bare stomach.
3. Thai hot sauce in my eye.
4. Melting caramel in the microwave and then stupidly poking semi-melted sugar with a fingertip to see how melted it is and discovering that a) it's more melted than it looks, b) melted sugar sticks to skin, c) it sticks to fingers that are used to scrape it off the first finger, and d) melted sugar is like magma.
5. Having a 4 blade razor blade take a divot out of a fingertip when rummaging around in a cosmetics bag.
6. Accidentally stapling a finger at the office.
7. Taking a bite out of a boiled egg that was heated in the microwave and having the egg explode in my face, which caused a steam burn on my lips (not to mention the embarrassing puff of egg bits that coated my face and hair).
8. Using a knife to chip open the mouth of a bottle that was plugged with ice and having pressure from my other hand on the bottle cause the ice plug to eject from the bottle, hitting me square in the forehead, which left a painful knot and a tiny pinprick cut from the ice.

Peach

Remind me to stay FAR, FAR away from you.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Jed_Eckert
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Planet Terror, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later

Post by Jed_Eckert » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Those plastic sliders people nail into the end of a chair leg to keep them from scratching your floor hurt pretty bad when they penetrate the skin under the arch of your foot. Feels like a Lego at first, then a snap when the skin breaks rather than being gently pierced because the nail is about as sharp as a well used #2 pencil. Pretty bizarre to look into the hole it left as it filled up with blood.
Joe

Build a zombie a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a zombie on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

kbilly84

Post by kbilly84 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:23 am

Almost forgot this gem.

I was young, and apparently REALLY dumb. Playing around with a "C" battery. Decided I needed to see what was inside it. Sat down on the floor with my Swiss Army Knife and when to work. Peeled the plastic-ish covering off.
I forget exactly what was after that, but I eventually got it down to a cylinder that was mostly plastic with a couple of cardboard-type disks and metal terminals.
One end of the cylinder has a small "bubble" off to one side. Well, more of a blister-looking thing. "Hmm, let's poke this with my knife". Yep. Battery acid sprayed out. Got some pretty serious burns on the lower part of face, worst was my lips. I couldn't drink soda pop for a month.

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:28 pm

grennels wrote:Remind me to stay FAR, FAR away from you.
Aww, don't be a 'fraidy cat. :wink: Besides, it's not like those kinds of things happen every day and nobody I know has ever been injured when any of that stuff happened to me. Yet.

I'm safe, honest.

Peach

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:57 pm

CarolinaPeach wrote:
grennels wrote:Remind me to stay FAR, FAR away from you.
Aww, don't be a 'fraidy cat. :wink: Besides, it's not like those kinds of things happen every day and nobody I know has ever been injured when any of that stuff happened to me. Yet.

I'm safe, honest.

Peach
I dunno, CP. That laundry list of hideous, acutely painful and ironically improbable injuries you've managed to inflict upon yourself made me cringe more than any other post in this thread.

Grennel might be on to something. At the very least, I hereby officially decline to cross a rope bridge, traverse a minefield or go tandem skydiving with you. :ohdear: :shock:

CarolinaPeach
Favorite Zombie Movies: I was hoping it would be "World War Z" but I don't think that's going to happen. So, in order: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...so far.

Post by CarolinaPeach » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm a victim of soicumtance, I tell ya.

Peach

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:31 pm

Burned index and thumb on a hot piece of metal today. Deep second degree I think. I was welding (trying to weld, very rusty... me, not the metal) and had been moving pieces around, and once I actually started melting shit, the pieces actually got hot... I forgot that, and grabbed a piece :lol:

A one second mistake = Half day of pain & a few days without right hand dexterity.

Full mask/full gloves/leather footwear, when welding!

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:46 pm

I thought the proper way to get a metal sliver out of a finger WAS to take the affected spot off on the grinder wheel?

Those old men tricked me, didn't they?
Boldly going nowhere

HuntingBow96

Post by HuntingBow96 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Standing on a plug, anybody ever done it? Now that one gets me swearing...

ThomasA

Post by ThomasA » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Last night a girl slipped on some spilled beer and her toe nail caught my boot as she fell. It pulled the toe nail out from its root, like 1/4" under the skin. I had to pull the toe nail off and patch her up :( That's gotta hurt like hell!

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:22 am

Hawthorne thorns. They have bacteria on them that cause infections. A nuisance becomes a dearh sentence when the shtf.
*Edited for spelling*
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

iainmcphersn

Post by iainmcphersn » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 am

I was looking at an AR I had recently rebarrelled. I had the bolt locked back and was examining the feedramps. Looked like the barrel has M-4 ramps and the receiver did not. I reached up through the magwell to feel this with my right index finger and accidently bumped the bolt release, slamming the bolt down on my fingernail. One of the lugs knocked loose piece of the nail about a 1/4" square, and the skin was split on the front of the finger.

Gothboy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of the zombie movies EVER.

Post by Gothboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am

Digging splinters of glass out of your eye. With your dirty greasy fingers. While blindly climbing out from under the car. And no mirrors anywhere.

Flying on an interstate flight and your ears never pop. It hurt so bad it was making me laugh like a maniac while forcing all the compression I could force trying to squish my own head....because it made the hurt .5 percent better. My head, ears, and balance hurt like hell for a month after.

Sleepily working the crematory too late at night removing red hot metal from a cremation. The tongs slipped and flung it into the back of my other hand. Panicking I flailed my hand around and looked for the metal. Only to find out it was still embedded and still burning. (By this point 3rd degree). Panicking freakishly at this point I smashed my hand into the table to shake the piece off my hand.
It's too bad I'm not Christian because I now have a cross shaped burn scar there. Fun.

Best one though is going thru a car crash and having your eyelid mostly ripped off. Wait it gets better. Going to the er and then having it sewn back on but my adrenaline level pretty much neutralized the pain med so I felt everything. And I had to be awake and with eyes open so I could (desperately try to) keep my pupils away looking the other direction from the needle. Drs orders.
You know how a braided rope feels when you run your hand across it? You can feel the bumps? Yea I could feel the braids of the surgical thread as it got pulled thru the remaining parts of my eyelid.

Now my eye is twitching thinking about it.
Braxton wrote: This guy seems to be able to get it done with much less than three inches.

WRKNMAN

Post by WRKNMAN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:11 pm

Running a fishing hook completely through my finger
And then cutting the barb off and pulling it back through
Not sure which hurt the worse

RAKKASAN SNIPER
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

Post by RAKKASAN SNIPER » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 am

I took a spill wearing a 60# pack, took a good size thorn to the palm. That was day 1 of a 3 day camping trip. By the end of the third day the suck factor went way up. Now I wear gloves and pack a swiss army knife just to have tweezers handy.

medic photog

Post by medic photog » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm another one that gets the skin on my fingers splitting in Winter. It's a real joy when I'm working the medic truck and have to use the hand sanitizer.
Last year I had a perforated ulcer and ended up in the hospital for surgery and all the fun that goes with it. I now own a 22 staple zipper scar down my stomach. I did get to pull my own NG tube and let the doc pull the staples while taking nothing but air. The finger splits are the worst, the NG tube was uncomfortable but grossed my room mate out more than anything.

Lycosa
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Zombieland

Post by Lycosa » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Little things that hurt like hell... well, today while taking the garbage out, I managed to step in a fire ant nest. Little thing yes, and it hurts like hell. I call them Taliban Ants...

RWCRaiden
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (78)

Post by RWCRaiden » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:48 pm

Wiping out on ice...happened to me on a call at a residence this past winter. Not fun when you have a DOA on your cot, going downhill on a long driveway, you biff and bust up your back, hip, and elbow, while your cot screams downhill and spins out on ice with your partner unsure to chase the cot or help you up....

In hindsight, its actully quite comical now. But goddamn did that impact hurt.
"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."

darius379

Post by darius379 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:40 am

Stepping on a cat whisker hurts pretty bad too
I come for the BOVS and stay for the ZOMBIES

Return to “First Aid”