It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tea tree oil
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Hey,

I just bought some tea tree oil for my iFAK, as I know it has lots of useful properties. I have two questions that you might be able to help me with:

1. It comes in a glass container that's heavier than its contents. I have some plastic bottles like this http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... -alls.html
My question is, can I put the tea tree oil in one of these plastic containers? Will the plastic be safe, and non-reactive? I figure there's gotta be some reason they put these oils in expensive and heavy glass containers.

2. There's a warning that says to avoid direct contact with skin. I guess the 100% concentrated oil needs to be diluted first. What should I use to dilute it with, and in what proportion? I'm preferably looking for something I can easily take with me in my iFAK.

Thanks guys!

"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Selling some stuff here | Preparedness Carry System | Ultralight list of tips

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Tea tree oil
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:08 pm 

Most of the time natural oils are in dark glass vials to protect against oxygen and light. Glass stops oxygen better than plastic, and dark inhibits the oil from going rancid. For the most part, for storage conditions, oil is oil. Olive vs peanut vs canola vs who cares; dark, cool to cold, and away from oxygen are all good ideas.

derf26 wrote:
2. There's a warning that says to avoid direct contact with skin. I guess the 100% concentrated oil needs to be diluted first. What should I use to dilute it with, and in what proportion? I'm preferably looking for something I can easily take with me in my iFAK.

I have never heard of a warning like that. Could you post a link to the specific product or to the label? At this link are multiple 100% tea tree oils intended for topical use. So diluting the oil sounds like a bad idea.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Liff wrote:
Most of the time natural oils are in dark glass vials to protect against oxygen and light. Glass stops oxygen better than plastic, and dark inhibits the oil from going rancid. For the most part, for storage conditions, oil is oil. Olive vs peanut vs canola vs who cares; dark, cool to cold, and away from oxygen are all good ideas.

derf26 wrote:

I have never heard of a warning like that. Could you post a link to the specific product or to the label? At this link are multiple 100% tea tree oils intended for topical use. So diluting the oil sounds like a bad idea.

I can do better: I will take a photo of the instruction on the packet, and a photo of the little help guide the pharmacist woman gave me while explaining that the tea tree oil needs to be mixed with vegetable oil before use. I was also surprised, hence this thread.

I think given your reasoning above, I will keep it in the glass container, even if it means a few more grams.

Give me a moment and I will edit this post with photos.

edit:
On the box, it says (translating)
Avoid all direct contact with eyes or skin.

In the guide
relevant part in French says that for topical application, it needs to be diluted to between 5 and 30% in vegetable oil

"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 pm 

Nice. Thanks for the help with the translations. I am from the US, which means I can only speak one language =/.

Well, I would have assumed that tea tree oil would not need to be blended. Turns out that a 5% solution is effective for MRSA removal. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2334/8/161

What to blend it with? http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essentia ... a-tree.htm They say everything. I really don't know from experience, and every other website says something different.

Either way, thanks for teaching me something today.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Liff wrote:
Nice. Thanks for the help with the translations. I am from the US, which means I can only speak one language =/.

Well, I would have assumed that tea tree oil would not need to be blended. Turns out that a 5% solution is effective for MRSA removal. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2334/8/161

What to blend it with? http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essentia ... a-tree.htm They say everything. I really don't know from experience, and every other website says something different.

Either way, thanks for teaching me something today.

Thanks for the links. It looks like I'll have to do some more research on this. If I come up with something that works for me, I'll be sure to post it here :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:43 pm 

I personally like to use grapeseed oil for diluting essential oils, but just about any common cooking oil will work as a carrier oil.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:15 pm 

Coconut oil is very stable and will remain solid up to about room temp. This may also help with potential leaks as this can be used as a salve instead of liquid oitment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:29 pm 

It's worth mentioning that tea tree oil has a pretty limited shelf life -- I'm typically seeing figures of about 2 years from manufacture and 6 months after opening. The effective component oxidizes over time and appears to become more likely to cause irritation or allergic reaction as it does so. Nothing wrong with having it in a kit, but I don't think I'd put much stock in hording it for the PAW.