It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:45 am 

I can't give any recommendations on gear to use, because I don't have practical experience with this and I can't find any good/trustworthy information. I think that one should be very careful, because a perforated colon in a situation where surgery is unavailable would be very very bad indeed. Also (as said before) when giving medications this way it may be hard to determine correct dosage and results may be very unreliable. Rehydration of a patient who keeps vomitting might be the best application for this. Using an oral rehydration solution seems like a good idea, but I have no solid source to back this up.
There also appears to be very little if any scientific research regarding rehydration this way. This study found no articles on rectal rehydration. The researchers did conclude that nasogastric (a tube through the nose to the stomach) rehydration was as effective as i.v. rehydration for moderate-to-severe dehydration in children, though. This study seems promising, but I can't get the full-text version at home (I'll try to get it at the faculty).
* edited to add second study

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 am 

naso-gastric may be recommended as a better practice, but I'm betting they already know how to get a hose up a nose... If I HAVE to be shoving a rubber hose inside someone's body, I'd rather not experiment, and I'm pretty sure, after all the years I've threatened to do the same with various items on a job site to certain people, that I could handle shoving a tube up a butt a couple inches. I'm not so worried about perforating a colon, as I am about perforating, well, just about anything else with the other methods, including IV.

A thought on the tubing we discussed earlier- once the tube is in, you want it to stay there, right? So, how do you make sure the internal pressures of the body, and normal muscle movement of the digestive tract doesn't shove the tube out? I'm thinking reflexes alone might do it. So, I was thinking, tie a LOOSE knot in the line, to create a bulky spot, but not a kink in the line, insert the tube till the knot is past the anus, and the anus itself should hold the tube in. This should also have the advantage of not being so big that it could not be removed without injury, and by tying the knot before inserting the hose, you can use it as a stop point- once the knot's in, you know how far the line is in. I'd imagine an actual enema tip would be better, since it's designed for this, but I'm thinking "field expedient" here.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:13 am 

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
naso-gastric may be recommended as a better practice, but I'm betting they already know how to get a hose up a nose... If I HAVE to be shoving a rubber hose inside someone's body, I'd rather not experiment, and I'm pretty sure, after all the years I've threatened to do the same with various items on a job site to certain people, that I could handle shoving a tube up a butt a couple inches.

Butt's probably the safer route to go. If I ever had to shove a tube down someone's nose I'd be terrified of going in the airway by mistake.

I hope I never have to shove a tube in anyone.

"Hurricane season is officially underway. Be sure to stock up on gas, beer, ham hocks, gunpowder & guitar strings"

Krustofski wrote:
I'm just two fucks short of a shitton of food. Please keep in mind that the metric shitton is slightly larger than the US customary shitton.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:34 pm 

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
A thought on the tubing we discussed earlier- once the tube is in, you want it to stay there, right? So, how do you make sure the internal pressures of the body, and normal muscle movement of the digestive tract doesn't shove the tube out? I'm thinking reflexes alone might do it. So, I was thinking, tie a LOOSE knot in the line, to create a bulky spot, but not a kink in the line, insert the tube till the knot is past the anus, and the anus itself should hold the tube in. This should also have the advantage of not being so big that it could not be removed without injury, and by tying the knot before inserting the hose, you can use it as a stop point- once the knot's in, you know how far the line is in. I'd imagine an actual enema tip would be better, since it's designed for this, but I'm thinking "field expedient" here.

I'm thinking a Foley catheter might be the way to go for this this reason. It has a balloon to inflate to keep it in the rectum, and there are setups made to attach an IV bag to the catheter (intended to be used for bladder irrigation).

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm 

GP11 wrote:
I'm thinking a Foley catheter might be the way to go for this this reason. It has a balloon to inflate to keep it in the rectum, and there are setups made to attach an IV bag to the catheter (intended to be used for bladder irrigation).

This sounds like the way to go, I should get a few.

I wonder if they come in pediatric and neonatal sizes...

ETA: Anyone have a link to buy these?

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:07 pm 

So, I've been looking into this a bit more (from a rehydration point of view) and I have found the following:
- the colon can absorb about 5-8 liters of fluid a day (in a grown up), so the maximum you can give should be 200-300 mililiters per hour;
- the absorbtion of water follows from the active transport of sodium and chloride, so adding a little salt (0,9%) to the fluid probably helps absorbtion.
(source: Guyton, Textbook of Medical Physiology 11e p817)

I've been talking to a paediatrician today and while he never had seen it in practice, he said it should theoretically work. He did warn about backfiring though! :shock:

Last edited by Pieter on Wed May 04, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:18 pm 

Liff wrote:
Yeah, the way I was taught drug/pharmaceutical absorption was that "all" of the blood from the small intestine goes to the liver first, then out to systemic circulation. The whole large intestine and veins "do not" do this. Administration there goes back to the heart, then out to the body. Ultimately a portion of the cardiac output goes to the liver, but not all of the cardiac output, so the first pass of blood from the intestines to the liver is bypassed.

**Disclaimer: Pharmacists know a lot about physiology, but basically jack-squat about anatomy. Anything I say about anatomy is always suspect. Physiology, not so much.**

Im late to the party, but I get a free pass because im new and shiny.

Hey! I know the difference between my a-hole and a hole in the ground (even though my patients might argue otherwise) :)

I understood it to work the same way. I wouldn't do anything but electrolyte replacement/water via this route, drug absorbtion (unless its made to go up there) is going to be really sketchy at best. At the hospital we administered MSContin tablets PR and got really iffy results. Residual poo, pH fluctuations, etc throw in a ton of factors that make this the route of last resort. If you're dehydrated to the point of needing IV fluids, I think you are better off risking a bad stick than waste valuable time with a funnel and precious drinking water.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:06 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Didn't Bear Grylls do this with birdshit-filled water on a raft somewhere?
ETA: Yup. :?

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:16 pm 

Krustofski wrote:
In before a B. G. enema reference.

Dogan wrote:
Didn't Bear Grylls do this with birdshit-filled water on a raft somewhere?
ETA: Yup. :?

I beat you to it. :P (Yeah, yeah, that's what she said)

@ Topic: Incidentally I read something about the Falkland war today. In the cold subpolar weather, British medics had a lot of trouble gaining access to peripheral veins and simply did volume replacement up the arse. The more you know...

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:52 pm 

There are many stories of POW's using this method, after killing a few friends with bamboo needles and catheders.

W.H.O. suggests making a solution of 1L water, 7 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and (optional) 1 teaspoon baking soda. This is similar to pedialite or gatorade.

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:58 pm 

CitizenZ wrote:
There are many stories of POW's using this method, after killing a few friends with bamboo needles and catheders.

W.H.O. suggests making a solution of 1L water, 7 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and (optional) 1 teaspoon baking soda. This is similar to pedialite or gatorade.

So, would my question about using gatorade this way be answered with a "yes", then?

re: Foley Catheters- while I will ALWAYS go with the right tool for the job, when it's available, my statements about the tubing and a knot were with improvising from what was around in mind. Not being in the medical field myself, and having no certifications that would entitle me to purchase medical supplies beyond a certain, basic level, I try to file information away (like this topic) mentally, so that if the need should arise, I'll have a clue about how to make it work with what's on hand. With any luck at all, the small amount of medical knowledge I do have will never be needed. But, that would be in a perfect world, and the world simply isn't set up that neatly.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:11 am 

Krustofski wrote:
@ Topic: Incidentally I read something about the Falkland war today. In the cold subpolar weather, British medics had a lot of trouble gaining access to peripheral veins and simply did volume replacement up the arse. The more you know...

Do you happen to have a link to that article? Interesting stuff and for once something about the Falkland war that's not about trenchfoot...

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:30 pm 

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
re: Foley Catheters- while I will ALWAYS go with the right tool for the job, when it's available, my statements about the tubing and a knot were with improvising from what was around in mind.

I dunno; I'd be concerned the knot would occlude the tubing no matter how loose you made it. I'd probably go with liberal application of tape if a Foley weren't available.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:40 pm 

GP11 wrote:
KnightoftheRoc wrote:
re: Foley Catheters- while I will ALWAYS go with the right tool for the job, when it's available, my statements about the tubing and a knot were with improvising from what was around in mind.

I dunno; I'd be concerned the knot would occlude the tubing no matter how loose you made it. I'd probably go with liberal application of tape if a Foley weren't available.

I thought of a wad of tape, but was worried about what chemicals might be absorbed by the body from the adhesive- I honestly have no idea how safe it might be, or not. I would go with a figure 8 knot in the tubing- it would be hardest to pinch off the tubing, and least damaging to the body. It's not like anyone (hopefully) is going to be tugging on it to cinch up the knot, once in place- it's not a tent line, after all.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:02 pm 

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
I thought of a wad of tape, but was worried about what chemicals might be absorbed by the body from the adhesive- I honestly have no idea how safe it might be, or not.

I guess I'm biased by being in the medical field and having numerous rolls of medical tape lying around the house--I was just assuming that everyone has medical tape. You can pick up medical-grade tape at any pharmacy (heck, most grocery stores) and that would eliminate any concern, but I doubt that regular tape would cause any problems (although removing a tube duct taped to someone's ass may not be too comfortable).

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:14 pm 

Has no one honestly thought of taping the tube to your leg/cheek instead? Seems much more comfortable than making a plug out of tape.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:27 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I studied this in college a bit and yes, it works. You can re-hydrate anally. It's not a flush, it's a slow drip. The plumbing down there is highly vascularized and will absorb water. This is also the most rapid way to get drugs into the system without an injection. It's very normal to give the elderly and infants drugs this was. It's quickly absorbed and they can't spit out/choke on the pills.
If some one is unconscious and unable to swallow, you can rehydrate them this way. It is this simple.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:06 pm 

Confucius wrote:

Aww shucks...

Correct me if I am wrong here (and good chance that I am), but if trying to replenish electrolytes (or give nutrients or whatnot via broth, pedialite, sugar, whatever), wouldn't the fluid have to be of a greater osmotic pressure than blood?

You would want the osmolarity of the solution to be as close to that of blood as possible(isotonic) which I think is about 300 milliosmoles/liter...but I'm not 100% sure on that. Having a hypertonic or hypotonic solution can cause major problems if it's a significant difference in osmolarity. Hypertonic will cause red blood cells to shrivel, hypotonic will cause red blood cells to swell, and even burst.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:17 pm 

Apparently there is also a S&M type erotic aspect where peope give themselves alchohl enemas, for a cheap quick drunk... with an unsually high incidence of death. Don't do that.

"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:29 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

CitizenZ wrote:
Apparently there is also a S&M type erotic aspect where peope give themselves alchohl enemas, for a cheap quick drunk... with an unsually high incidence of death. Don't do that.

Yeah, the body goes into alcohol poisoning fast due to the rate at which the alcohol is absorbed. Kinda overwhelms the system. The body can metabolize the alcohol fast enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:30 pm 

Liff wrote:
Has no one honestly thought of taping the tube to your leg/cheek instead? Seems much more comfortable than making a plug out of tape.

That's what I was suggesting--trying to tape it like you would an IV. It hadn't occurred to me to do it any other way.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:49 pm 

Liff wrote:

Really? :roll:
Ever try waxing your taint? :lol:

I'm just kidding with you, don't take offense, as none is meant.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:58 pm 

Liff wrote:

Rectal Tegaderm?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:18 pm 

I was doing a google images search for "shtf gloves", saw a funny cat picture, clicked it, and came across this subject.

A guy ate some bad soup, ended up with such bad diarrhea that he was took weak make it back to his bedroom from his bathroom, ended up in an emergency room, with a re-hydrating IV. He was talking about getting gear to give himself an IV in an emergency, and other people pointed out that in an emergency, without medical experience, an enema is much safer: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/ind ... pic=4511.0
I'm wondering if the most useful bit of information from this might be, if you have really bad diarrhea, and you're feeling weak, don't assume it's a direct effect of whatever your sickness is, recognize that it's probably dehydration, and make sure to force fluid consumption as much as you possibly can.

CitizenZ wrote:

That's a link I'd be interested in.

Kutter_0311 wrote:
By the way, what sort of gear should be used for this? IV tube? Small garden hose? Bicycle tire inner tube?

I'm thinking anything you can get in there smaller than a garden hose.

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
Is there a simple, field expedient recipe a person could mix for this? I'd like to know I could deal with a person's need for hydration, nourishment, restoring electrolytes, etc. if I had to. Would applying a dose of Gatorade this way work for two out of three? Could it be that simple?

Water. If you can, a little table salt. An ex-girlfriend of mine who was a piercer pointed out that you can roughly guess appropriate salinity by getting it to taste like tears. Not exactly expert medical advice, but if somebody was crippled by dehydration and you don't have a professional, it's a good place to start.

dallas wrote:
I have heard of one family that survived a ship wreck with no water by using saltwater enemas.

That sounded potentially useful to me. So potentially useful that it seemed very likely that if it were true I would have seen enemas in life-boat ration gear, and I haven't. A quick google search brought me to: "In case of severe dehydration the body will more quickly be hydrated with an enema. It is a method that has saved knowledgeable survivors. But careful not to use salt water (sea water is as dangerous absorbed rectally as it is orally)." - http://www.caske2000.org/survival/survivesea.htm
Makes sense, osmosis would pull water out of your body to balance the salinity in the water.

My BOB (very out of date photos) and my IFAK (no photos). Working on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next