Kitsunes' FAK

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Kitsune
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's Dawn, Dawn remake, Shaun, Romero's Night, 28 Days later.

Kitsunes' FAK

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:39 am

I just started making my new FAK for my im home emergency kit, and I thought I would share it with everyone.

It contains:
3 SAM splints
6 Cat tourniquets
2 Large ACE wraps
1 Self adhering ACE wrap
1 Izzy bandage
2 Large kerlex rolls
2 Small kerlex rolls

Chem lights
2 orange
8 red
1 yellow

2 tweezers
3 pairs rubber gloves
2 moleskin sets
1 snake bite kit
1 xeroform
2 sterile pads
4 gauze pads
2 large surgical sponges
1 small surgical sponge
2 eye pads
1 bottle lidocain
2 finger splints
1 instant cold pack
14 antiseptic wipes
1 burn cooling gel
3 anti-biotic ointments
1 tylonol
1 ibuprofin
1 asprin
2 diphen
1 immodium ad
5 tongue depressors
3 safety pins
1 emergency blanket
1 cortizone 10 anti itch cream
3 rolls medical tape

assorted bandaids

4 first aid manuals (to include army combat lifesaver)
1 medical shears
1 sharpie

There is of course still much work to be done, but it is a start. As always questions, comments and criticisms are welcome.
Thanks guys.

- Kit

Kitsune
Favorite Zombie Movies: Romero's Dawn, Dawn remake, Shaun, Romero's Night, 28 Days later.

Re: Kitsunes' FAK

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:51 am

By the way, here is a link to go to my imageshack album that contains the FAK pictures

http://img810.imageshack.us/g/imgp0945.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thorian

Post by thorian » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Do you really need 6 Cat tourniquets

I would say more consumables Gauze 4x4's bandaging stuff etc figure on dressing changes.
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:29 pm

No, I dont really need 6; I just happen to own that many. I plan on significantly increasing the amount of consumerables, as well as getting things like peroxide and iodine. Also going to practice small sutures and adding a suture kit.

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:01 pm

Kitsune wrote:No, I dont really need 6; I just happen to own that many.
I can see the need for 5 (one for every appendage of course)...but 6! Freakin' come on!

Seriously though, nice job on the kit...this further serves to reinforce just how much I suck at keeping up with my first aid supplies. :oops: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Shaper on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm

Thank you

thorian

Post by thorian » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Groovy I wasent bustin yer balls or anything. It looks like a good start.
VOL FF 1 & 2, EMT-B, Hazmat Ops, Vehicle Extrication Technician, High angle rescue technician, and that is just the hobby...

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:04 pm

O, I know you were not bustin my balls; six cats in an ifak IS a lot. Thanks for the input thus far.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:37 pm

I'll have to admit, when I first looked and saw SIX Cat tourniquets, I figured this as a joke post and clicked away at that point......

Looks like you are serious. So -

Lose the chemlights and get a good or at least decent headlamp, LED for better battery life.

Rubber gloves = Nitrile? If not, consider nitrile gloves, you have better control.

Lose the finger splints
Lose all of the manuals - if you're working on someone, it's past the time to be reading.

ADD
2 triangular bandages
If the tape is paper, change out for cloth (or nylon) tape.

With the space now freed up by pulling the manuals and lightsticks -- add
8 4x4 pads, non-stick type
8 2x2 pads, non-stick type
2 3x4 (or larger) Adaptic brand dressings

Thermometer - non-glass, non-mercury

Just for the record, the Red Cross suggests these items at a minimum for a family of foir.
• 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
• 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
• 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
• 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
• 5 antiseptic wipe packets
• 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
• 1 blanket (space blanket)
• 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
• 1 instant cold compress
• 2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large)
• 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
• Scissors
• 1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
• 1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
• 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
• 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
• Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
• 2 triangular bandages
• Tweezers
• First aid instruction booklet

Wondering what kind of training you might have had to this point? Just curious.....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:39 am

Just the army CLS course.

hutchb25

Post by hutchb25 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Might see if you can't throw a stethoscope in there. I dunno, I'm never anywhere without my stethoscope.

Try and find more 4x4s, in bulk packaging if you can. Sometimes when you get to using them, you're going for handfuls and it's not cool having to open each one individually and then being out of them to boot.

You have a variety of chem lights there...are you going for a sort of triage system, or...? I personally love the things but all mine are green.

Any particular reason for the tongue depressors? I'm sure they take up negligible space, but I'm curious anyways. Only other thing I didn't see was heat packs. Have at least a couple. Keep them together with whatever form of emergency blanket you have and you've got a potent combination in terms of field management.

Final Edit:

And, sweet criminy, throw in some good safety glasses. I can't count the times safety glasses have kept the 'itis from permeating my precious mucous membranes, usually in stupid situations you'd never think of being a hazard. I pulled an IV out once when I was first doing them in my ER clinicals and flicked droplets all over my face. Thank you, Uvex.
"Listen to me! Sometimes, possession is an abstract concept..."

blackmesa
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978 + 2004) (they were both good!)
28 Days Later (I know, not technically a zombie movie, but it's still good)
Night of the Living Dead

Post by blackmesa » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:37 am

hutchb25 wrote:Might see if you can't throw a stethoscope in there. I dunno, I'm never anywhere without my stethoscope.
In a first aid situation, with CLS training, I can't imagine a use for a steth. Unless it's as a tourniquet, and he already has 6 of those sooo.... :D

The Observer

Post by The Observer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:42 pm

hutchb25 wrote:Might see if you can't throw a stethoscope in there. I dunno, I'm never anywhere without my stethoscope.
I have this image of you going to a super high end restaurant with it around your neck... :lol:

hutchb25

Post by hutchb25 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:52 am

Well, I'm a firm believer that every waitress needs her lung sounds checked. Never know when that COPD's gonna hit :)
"Listen to me! Sometimes, possession is an abstract concept..."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:15 am

(SNIP)
Since the OP called this out as his "home emrgency kit" -- a decent stethoscope is a good call, as would an otoscope - for a "home clinic kit". If you have kinder running around underfoot, these are really great to have - some specific training may be in order, but really nice to have items. As would a bulb aspirator, and some Debrox ear drops (ear wax, eewww).
A thermometer - a Exergen Temporal Thermometer to be specific would also be a great addition. Kiddie OTC meds and the list could go on.

But the OP called out a -home emergency kit-, so for that, maybe a 'scope might not be the best addition - a headlamp, certainly.

BTW, I did a search of the current Combat Lifesaver Course study material(IS0871_Edition_C_ALMS.pdf) and there is no reference to using a stethoscope - hence my comment about some additional training.

Bottom line, the OP is putting together a home disaster kit, a very good idea!
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

rat-a-tat-tat

Post by rat-a-tat-tat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Six isn't really that much if you think about it..
Let's say that there's a car wreck or a building collapse, and someone gets both legs caught and they are traumatically amputated. There goes two of them.. What if someone else is similarly injured? Another one or two gone. Now you're down to two. There's a reason that a lot of military, law enforcement, and EMS SOPs are requiring multiple TQs for each individual. Murphy, God, fate, nature, chance, whatever you believe makes things happen doesn't stop to consider "Well, let's only hurt ONE of this person's limbs.." Sure, you're probably (hopefully) not getting shot or hit by an IED, but disasters tend to make buildings collapse a little more often, and if there is widespread panic and you're in a vehicle, chances are people are not driving the way they normally would, both things increasing chances of getting a limb caught somewhere.

A headlamp is great for treating injuries and general work in low-light environments and definitely a solid addition, but chem lights have more uses than just for triage (although that definitely IS one use, if one has various colored chemlights). They can also be used in low-light conditions to mark location if you have to leave a casualty, or signal rescue without running out your batteries (signal mirrors tend to not work as well at night ~_^). The size and weight is pretty negligible, and they can have some paracord looped through them in advance and hung from a carabiner to not take up space in one's bag.

In addition to TacAir's comment re: nitrile gloves having better control, also keep in mind that people have latex allergies, if by rubber you meant latex gloves. No need to make a bad situation worse.

Consider maybe throwing some athletic tape (sturdier than med tape) and duct tape (same again, also gives some waterproofing ability) in. If you're worried about space, you can do the same with tape as I suggested in regards to chemlights. Just run some paracord through, hang from a 'biner.

Whoever said about the safety glasses was definitely spot on, and in addition, consider some disposable masks, or have a bandana ready to cover your mouth and nose from any bodily fluids that may fly towards your mucus membranes. Also helps to cut down on the smell and keep dust, bugs, and other things you don't want in your mouth/nose out. That's in addition to all their other many uses, but I'm sure you already know that and probably have a few already.

Return to “First Aid”