Need some help - Source for Cobalt blue eye exam light

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Need some help - Source for Cobalt blue eye exam light

Post by TacAir » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:51 am

I have been looking for a cobalt blue light for my med kit. Been updating and adding for the last couple of weeks and this is the last item I need.

I have found a penlight for $38 (struck me as a tad rich -at least for me)
http://www1.mooremedical.com/index.cfm? ... &PID=19359" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a Corpsman kit - which at $134 is even more out of my range.
http://www.narescue.com/Basic_Field_Cor ... 31089.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have a US source for a penlight + filter, just a filter or cobalt blue penlight that is afforable and that can stand a *bit* of banging around?

Thanks in advance
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

kevthemed
Favorite Zombie Movies: The 2008 Election process. 15 candidates...I mean...really??

Re: Need some help - Source for Cobalt blue eye exam light

Post by kevthemed » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:40 pm

Call the customer service department here http://www.cfmtechnologies.com/products/diagnostic.html

They are helpful, and will sell you the replacement cobalt lense.
I'll take the little one...She looks like she knows things...

Ahhh, America. the only country in the world to go from Barbarism to Decadency without the benefit of establishing a civilization...

Entropy0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead (Zack Snyder's), Zombieland, 28 Days Later

Post by Entropy0311 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 pm

I have a blue "NARP Tactical Exam Light" by NAR. I bought it maybe two years ago, but I don't see it offered on their site any more. Here is a very similar light, maybe the same one with different branding. It's bright and extremely compact; my only complaint is that the rotating switch can sometimes be a little finicky, and batteries are not easy to come by.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:43 pm

kevthemed wrote:Call the customer service department here http://www.cfmtechnologies.com/products/diagnostic.html

THanks for the tip. But to use the lens, I will need the light - and we are back to the 100+ USD to play.

Again, thank you for the reply & time to post the link.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Entropy0311 wrote:I have a blue "NARP Tactical Exam Light" by NAR. I bought it maybe two years ago, but I don't see it offered on their site any more. Here is a very similar light, maybe the same one with different branding. It's bright and extremely compact; my only complaint is that the rotating switch can sometimes be a little finicky, and batteries are not easy to come by.
Ha-zah! They make the light in UV, better than a filter!

Thanks so much for the link. Now all I need to see is if there is interest in another 100 or so ZS folks who would be intested in purchase as well (sold in lots of 130) - but everyone should have an eye exam light in their kit, so maybe I'll get some intrest.

I'll also contact them to see if smaller lots are possible.

THanks again for the link, it's further along than I was!

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:00 pm

FOund one!

http://www.mccoymedical.com/mccoyhealth ... 7cfb8bbaa8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with a 2 dollar filter.

Only down side is that is uses button batteries'
On the plus side, very bright light.

I'll post back on delivery etc.

Entropy0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Dawn of the Dead (Zack Snyder's), Zombieland, 28 Days Later

Post by Entropy0311 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Glad you found one. I found a couple sources on Amazon that have the NAR light but only in white and green. Don't forget the dye.

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:52 pm

TacAir wrote:
kevthemed wrote:Call the customer service department here http://www.cfmtechnologies.com/products/diagnostic.html

THanks for the tip. But to use the lens, I will need the light - and we are back to the 100+ USD to play.

Again, thank you for the reply & time to post the link.

You can get that light at any sporting goods store for $20-$30 with the light bender and a red lens and some other accessories.
You can get it at scuba suppliers too, or online from almost any flashlight supply.
I do not know if their xenon bulb is any different from the stock one, but it does not seem to be.
I think it is a Pelican brand... They are from the BLED Era(Before LED). At least before LEDs were useful for general illumination.

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:54 pm

TacAir wrote:
Entropy0311 wrote:I have a blue "NARP Tactical Exam Light" by NAR. I bought it maybe two years ago, but I don't see it offered on their site any more. Here is a very similar light, maybe the same one with different branding. It's bright and extremely compact; my only complaint is that the rotating switch can sometimes be a little finicky, and batteries are not easy to come by.

Thanks so much for the link. Now all I need to see is if there is interest in another 100 or so ZS folks who would be intested in purchase as well (sold in lots of 130) - but everyone should have an eye exam light in their kit, so maybe I'll get some intrest.

I got a white one at Fry's in Houston a few years ago.... They had other colors too. These are the ones with the little batteries that look like mini-anti-tank rounds??? With the little spike on the end???

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 pm

jamesraykenney wrote:
TacAir wrote:

I got a white one at Fry's in Houston a few years ago.... They had other colors too. These are the ones with the little batteries that look like mini-anti-tank rounds??? With the little spike on the end???

I would love to see, but that source has a minimum order of 75 cases of 130 lights per case. The UV light would be the da bomb, but 9K lights is more than I can use.

I am still looking, some vet supply outfits sell the cobalt blue lens, I keep hoping for a UV source, if possible. I will try the filtered light - it may be just fine.

Thanks for the reply.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Entropy0311 wrote:Glad you found one. I found a couple sources on Amazon that have the NAR light but only in white and green. Don't forget the dye.
Got the dye strips and eye drops to wet the strips.
I'll admit this is normally a low use item, but I work at a remote camp in the summer - where the campers cook over open fires.

They tend to get a lot of crap (ash, dust, pollen, etc) in the eye and I want to ensure everything is cleaned out before the kiddos are released back to their 'unit'.

A good flush normally works the magic, but for those that show up with bigger chunks - a double check never is a bad thing.

kevthemed
Favorite Zombie Movies: The 2008 Election process. 15 candidates...I mean...really??

Post by kevthemed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:54 pm

the light from CFM was 14.oofor the light and the lense.
I'll take the little one...She looks like she knows things...

Ahhh, America. the only country in the world to go from Barbarism to Decadency without the benefit of establishing a civilization...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:13 pm

kevthemed wrote:the light from CFM was 14.oofor the light and the lense.
Thank you for the followup.

I went to the site you gave on your original post linked to and the page showed two lights - one for $119.95 and the other for $324.95.

Did I miss something? If I did, can you steer me straight?

Thanks in advance.

claren

Post by claren » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:10 am

TacAir wrote: Got the dye strips and eye drops to wet the strips.
I'll admit this is normally a low use item, but I work at a remote camp in the summer - where the campers cook over open fires.

They tend to get a lot of crap (ash, dust, pollen, etc) in the eye and I want to ensure everything is cleaned out before the kiddos are released back to their 'unit'.

A good flush normally works the magic, but for those that show up with bigger chunks - a double check never is a bad thing.
Are you providing this service independently? Or under medical control? Either way, see if you can get a doc to write you for some tetracaine drops. It's a lot easier to go digging for a FB after instilling some of that stuff in the affected eye. Just make sure you keep the patient in your sight until it wears off; huge potential for self-injury if they're walking about with a numb eye.
The stars at night...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:40 pm

claren wrote:
TacAir wrote: Got the dye strips and eye drops to wet the strips.

Are you providing this service independently? Or under medical control? Either way, see if you can get a doc to write you for some tetracaine drops. It's a lot easier to go digging for a FB after instilling some of that stuff in the affected eye. Just make sure you keep the patient in your sight until it wears off; huge potential for self-injury if they're walking about with a numb eye.
I work with 2 RNs that support the camp (one is a long time bud).
Thanks for the tip - if it gets past a rinse and check, they get transported to a clinic - its more than a few miles, but we have been fortunate to date. Tight safety and monitoring of activites helps as well. We try to stop stupid before the hurt starts....

thesupercroc

Post by thesupercroc » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:46 am

TacAir wrote:FOund one!

http://www.mccoymedical.com/mccoyhealth ... 7cfb8bbaa8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with a 2 dollar filter.

You can get similar penlight @ wally world for about 3 ish bucks. the wally world ones uses 1 AAA bat the Mcoy med one uses 3 LR41 button cells . But you will still need to get the blue filter some were else
Jeriah wrote:
Gun Safety Haiku

Assume it's loaded
Booger hook off the bang switch
Aim it somewhere safe
JamesCannon wrote:ZombieSquad, Firearms and Off Topic: Where all threads basically boil down to the question of whether or not I can shoot a guy.

lepus does non cado ex nemus

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:45 pm

thesupercroc wrote:

with a 2 dollar filter.

You can get similar penlight @ wally world for about 3 ish bucks. the wally world ones uses 1 AAA bat the Mcoy med one uses 3 LR41 button cells . But you will still need to get the blue filter some were else
Thanks for the tip.
I'll keep an eye out for one next trip to Wallys.

Pineapple Devil

Post by Pineapple Devil » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:08 pm

TacAir wrote:
thesupercroc wrote:

with a 2 dollar filter.

Thanks for the tip.
it is in the flashlight section and made by rayovac. they have orange, silver, and blue. package looks like this. http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-BRSLEDPEN ... B000VK6ZGM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:29 pm

Pineapple Devil wrote:
TacAir wrote:
thesupercroc wrote:

with a 2 dollar filter.

Thanks for the tip.
it is in the flashlight section and made by rayovac. they have orange, silver, and blue. package looks like this. http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-BRSLEDPEN ... B000VK6ZGM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Most excellent! Thanks again!

painiac

Post by painiac » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:31 am

thesupercroc wrote: You can get similar penlight @ wally world for about 3 ish bucks. the wally world ones uses 1 AAA bat the Mcoy med one uses 3 LR41 button cells . But you will still need to get the blue filter some were else
Great call. I've been carrying one of those for about a year now, and I was very happy when I found it.
I had been looking for an LED penlight that was inexpensive, but the problem with almost all of them is that they're too bright to (comfortably) shine in people's eyes for pupil checks. (The streamlight stylus had caught my eye, but it uses a bizarre battery. The rayovac using AAAs is a huge plus for me, because work stocks them.).

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:17 pm

painiac wrote:
thesupercroc wrote: You can get similar penlight @ wally world for about 3 ish bucks. the wally world ones uses 1 AAA bat the Mcoy med one uses 3 LR41 button cells . But you will still need to get the blue filter some were else
Great call. I've been carrying one of those for about a year now, and I was very happy when I found it.
I had been looking for an LED penlight that was inexpensive, but the problem with almost all of them is that they're too bright to (comfortably) shine in people's eyes for pupil checks. (The streamlight stylus had caught my eye, but it uses a bizarre battery. The rayovac using AAAs is a huge plus for me, because work stocks them.).
Bright in this case is OK, as a cobalt blue filter will go over the light. I have a CMG task light (white) for pupil checks. Just bright enough to work well, built like a brick outhouse and runs forever on a AA battery. Add a filter and you get - zip.

So, next we get to Wallys, I'll pickup a ray-o-vac. My headlamp uses AAA, so that part is cool

Thanks for the post.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:05 pm

painiac wrote:You know, if you want UV and compact, you can't beat a Photon. Only 12 fed reserve notes, plus shipping.
http://www.photonlight.com/products/Spe ... ights.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you so much.

Didn't know photon made a UV light! Or purple for that matter...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:20 pm

TacAir wrote:
painiac wrote:
Bright in this case is OK, as a cobalt blue filter will go over the light. I have a CMG task light (white) for pupil checks. Just bright enough to work well, built like a brick outhouse and runs forever on a AA battery. Add a filter and you get - zip.

So, next we get to Wallys, I'll pickup a ray-o-vac. My headlamp uses AAA, so that part is cool

Thanks for the post.
Got to Wally today and picked up the ray-o-vac LED light.
For 3 USD, just the deal.
The only downside is "Hecho en China".
Now ro see how well it works with the filter.

I'll see if I can local source the UV proton.

Return to “First Aid”