Omega Man's IFAK

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Re: Omega Man's IFAK

Post by Tperkins » Sat May 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Jorian wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Tperkins wrote:Pelican 1200 case on sale at REI, $46.99 (26% off)

http://www.rei.com/product/778223" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Careful with REI, I found out the hard way they don't always have the best deals. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is the same case (diff color) on Amazon for less: http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1200-Case ... =pd_cp_p_0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found this out when I was going to buy a flashlight at their clearance sale. They were the same price on Amazon but with free shipping.
Right about REI Veritas. Those guys have pissed me off so badly... for their vendors they're a nightmare. They routinely claim bogus shortages, pay late and take early-pay discounts, invent myriad discounts for themselves after their order and create a whole host of other bookkeeping horrors. If they ever DO have a genuine good deal, somebody besides REI is footing the bill.
Actually, I had to work but I was going to take that post down. Some of thier stuff is a good deal, but I went and looked at the major online Pelican store, they charged a lot less. The 1200 at REI was the $46, and at the pelican store (http://www.thepelicanstore.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) it was $40 with foam $35 without. Only downside would be shipping, so it might come out equal, but some of the larger cases you save a lot. I'm gonna buy a 1400 case from them for a truck med kit I think.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

The Omega Man

Post by The Omega Man » Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 am

abfirstaidstore.com has the Pelican 1200 case in any color you want for $35.99

http://www.abfirstaidstore.com/pelican- ... can-cases/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you plan on buying the inserts from them, may as well just buy it all from them. I got the case and both inserts for about $100 shipped to my door, great service, would highly recommend.

here is a link to all their Pelican cases; http://www.abfirstaidstore.com/pelican- ... can-cases/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by The Omega Man on Wed May 26, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The more you know, the less you need.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue May 25, 2010 8:29 pm

The Omega Man wrote:abfirstaidstore.com has the Pelican 1200 case in any color you want for $35.99

http://www./pelican-cases/all-pelican-c ... ican-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you plan on buying the inserts from them, may as well just buy it all from them. I got the case and both inserts for about $100 shipped to my door, great service, would highly recommend.

here is a link to all their Pelican cases; http://www.abfirstaidstore.com/pelican- ... can-cases/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You first link is broken. Also, link to the inserts? Other than that this is awesome...
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

The Omega Man

Post by The Omega Man » Wed May 26, 2010 12:23 pm

Sorry, I fixed the original link to the Pelican cases.

here is a link to all the inserts; http://www.abfirstaidstore.com/first-ai ... rts-empty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed May 26, 2010 12:36 pm

The Omega Man wrote:Sorry, I fixed the original link to the Pelican cases.

here is a link to all the inserts; http://www.abfirstaidstore.com/first-ai ... rts-empty/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you.

Btw glad to see someone has both NSAIDs and Acetaminophen in their FAK.

Phaedrus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phaedrus » Wed May 26, 2010 9:25 pm

The Omega Man wrote:Sorry, I fixed the original link to the Pelican cases.

Wow, thanks for the link! That's quite the organizer. Does it affix to the inside somehow or just roll up and sit in the case? How about the lid organizer- does it have some type of mounting hardware? The roll up one would work well in lots of cases besides a Pelican, I bet.
Meat N' Taters wrote:
Red_Ramage wrote:Dr. Bear Grylls disagrees with all of you
Well, let him put Tylenol Gel-Caps in his shitter all day long. As for me, I'll use as directed. :)

The Omega Man

Post by The Omega Man » Thu May 27, 2010 10:07 am

Phaedrus wrote: Does it affix to the inside somehow or just roll up and sit in the case? How about the lid organizer- does it have some type of mounting hardware? The roll up one would work well in lots of cases besides a Pelican, I bet.
both the bottom 'fold-out' insert and the lid insert affix via some heavy duty velcro. I bought the case and inserts together so they "installed" them for me prior to shipping. It looks like it would hold up really well to use/abuse.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu May 27, 2010 10:40 am

The Omega Man wrote:
Phaedrus wrote: Does it affix to the inside somehow or just roll up and sit in the case? How about the lid organizer- does it have some type of mounting hardware? The roll up one would work well in lots of cases besides a Pelican, I bet.
both the bottom 'fold-out' insert and the lid insert affix via some heavy duty velcro. I bought the case and inserts together so they "installed" them for me prior to shipping. It looks like it would hold up really well to use/abuse.
So the structural integrity of the Pelican awesomeness is not affected. That's great.

The Omega Man

Post by The Omega Man » Thu May 27, 2010 11:37 am

quackfiend wrote: So the structural integrity of the Pelican awesomeness is not affected. That's great.
correct, looks like a 'peel and stick' velcro on the inside of the case. So you could remove it entirely if you wanted to re-purpose the case. On the 1200 case its 2 pieces each about 1" thick and 4" long (for both the lid and fold-out insert), like I said it feels very secure.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu May 27, 2010 11:39 am

The Omega Man wrote:
quackfiend wrote: So the structural integrity of the Pelican awesomeness is not affected. That's great.
correct, looks like a 'peel and stick' velcro on the inside of the case. So you could remove it entirely if you wanted to re-purpose the case. On the 1200 case its 2 pieces each about 1" thick and 4" long (for both the lid and fold-out insert), like I said it feels very secure.
Do you have a mount for the Pelican case itself at work/in your vehicle/in your home? I have a design for my bike where you'd set the case in an aluminium cradle then run a strap or two across the top to keep it secure.

The Omega Man

Post by The Omega Man » Thu May 27, 2010 1:39 pm

no, my intent is to just strap it under the canoe seat at this point or just keep it in the car when car-camping with the family. I have a couple smaller kits for hiking use.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

Phaedrus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phaedrus » Thu May 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks, Omega Man! That's a pretty badass setup. I'm gonna look into that.
Meat N' Taters wrote:
Well, let him put Tylenol Gel-Caps in his shitter all day long. As for me, I'll use as directed. :)

JIM
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Wall street (Dollar zombies FTL$)

Post by JIM » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:12 am

How about squishing and vacuum-packing your coban wraps like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTeK5XFlOc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then you would have more room to add 4x4s, triangulair bandage or even a roll of kerlix!

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

The Omega Man

Post by The Omega Man » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:02 am

JIM wrote:How about squishing and vacuum-packing your coban wraps like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTeK5XFlOc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then you would have more room to add 4x4s, triangulair bandage or even a roll of kerlix!
very awesome idea! I'll have to look into that, it could save a ton of space.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

Phaedrus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Phaedrus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:20 am

Great idea! I've got ten rolls of that stuff and a Foodsaver- time to get vaccin'!
Meat N' Taters wrote:

tslav31

Post by tslav31 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:07 pm

It's amazing that just a few quick words typed into a search can bring up exactly what I need from 7 years ago! Haha anyways, I made an account specifically to ask you guys (if anyone is still around) whereabouts I may find one of those AB first aid store organizers as I myself have a 1200 case and that is the only one I'm able to find to fit! sadly I believe in the time it took me to find all this I believe the AB store has shut down? Correct me if I'm wrong but is there anyone out there who knows of any leftover pueces I could snatch up or any related ones of the same dimension? Sorry not to hijack the thread as I was very impressed by your post!

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:11 am

No idea where to get the ABFA version, but I recently ordered some custom work from Tactical Tailor, and the price was WAY less than what you would think it would be. I would shoot their custom shop an email, and see what the quote looks like.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

tslav31

Post by tslav31 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:08 pm

VXMerlinXV wrote:No idea where to get the ABFA version, but I recently ordered some custom work from Tactical Tailor, and the price was WAY less than what you would think it would be. I would shoot their custom shop an email, and see what the quote looks like.

Thank you for thhe reply I'll look into it!

Return to “First Aid”