It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Omega Man's IFAK
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:02 am 

UPDATED: 05/12/10

Greetings First-Aid forum regulars, first time poster long time reader here. I'm hoping to get some feedback and suggestions on my IFAK. I was a Combat Lifesaver in the Army and a majority of this kit is from my old CLS bag.

First thing you might notice is "holy crap, a pelican box? really?! talk about overkill!", well the reason for this is I do a lot of trips in the BWCAW (Boundary Water Canoe Area Wilderness) and during those trips you must portage your gear, for those who don't know what portaging means its basically just unloading your canoe and carrying all your gear to the next lake. Two major concerns here, the first being waterproofing. Not only are lakes full of water but portages are often pretty muddy and/or have standing water also. Up until now I've carried my CLS bag inside a 20L dry bag and while this kept things dry it made it a PITA to take out and get into the kit when I needed it quickly. Not only that but when you have all you gear in dry bags its kinda hard to easily identify which one contains your FAK or for others to easily identify it. I wanted something that easily screamed "yes, this is the FAK". Second it ruggedness, CLS bags are kinda squishy... Many times while portaging someone will think they're being nice and grab your gear for you and carry it to the next lake, often which they're not all too careful so you're gear gets a little roughed up. I've had instant ice packs accidentally activated, cream and ointments explode, etc... it happens, so I needed something that could handle more abuse.

The case itself is a Pelican 1200, Exterior dimension: 10.62" x 9.68" x 4.87", Interior dimensions: 9.25" x 7.12" x 4.12". I also picked up some really cool organizing inserts to keep everything all nice and pretty.

Application of this kit is definitely geared towards things you'd run into in the outdoors while camping, hiking, canoeing, etc.

So here are the contents of my kit;

Quantity Description
3 Latex Gloves (pair)
2 Latex Penrose Tubing
1 EMT Shears
1 Tweezers
1 Tick Nipper Tick Remover
6 Hand Sanitizer Wipes
12 Iodine Prep Wipes

Quantity Description
2 Oral Re-hydration Salts
12 Sting Wipes
1 Hydrocortizone
1 Benzocaine Spray (Poison Ivy)
1 Chapstick (Medicated)
5 Water-Jel Burn Jel
12 Eye Drops/Solution
1 Bacitracin

Quantity Description
10 Antihistamine (Benadryl)
12 Pepto Bismol
12 Tums
12 Immodium
6 Aspirin (Bayer)
5 Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
5 Ibuprofen (Advil)

Quantity Description
1 SAM Splint (36")
2 Coban Self-Adhesive Wrap
1 Triangle/Compress Bandage

Quantity Description
2 1" Medical Tape (roll) -
1 Quikclot Sport Silver 25g
3 Gause Dressing 3" x 3"
26 Band-Aids M
4 Band-Aids S
2 Band-Aids (Knee) L
5 Band-Aids (Knuckle) S
12 Wound Closure Strips -
2 Moleskin

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

Last edited by The Omega Man on Wed May 12, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Omega Man's IFAK
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am 

Welcome! Great start so far!

You're gonna get knocked for the latex. Everybody is switching to nitrile or other nowadays.

It is a matter of personal preference, but I am starting to replace bandaids with 4x4s and tape. There are pros and cons, but I like 4x4s better. I can roll my own bandaids if needed, and I have the option to use them in ways the bandaid cannot be used (larger wounds, cleaning wounds, sopping up blood, etc.). Plus I found that I never really used the bandaids anyway, if the cut was small I was usually ok with leaving it open. If it was large, it needed more attention than a bandaid. Of course, bandaids are more compact, easier to apply, and work good for small cuts that could lead to big problems. But honestly I don't think they stay on any better than my improvised ones. Just something to consider.

I may have missed these, but I would add something like Pepto tabs and some Immodium.

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 am 

Veritas wrote:
You're gonna get knocked for the latex. Everybody is switching to nitrile or other nowadays.

Noted, like I said this was mostly left overs from my CLS bag. I'll replace the gloves with nitrile or similar.

Veritas wrote:
I may have missed these, but I would add something like Pepto tabs and some Immodium.

Also noted, I'll pick some of those up as well.

I also want to add a couple of other things like some saline eye wash but I couldn't find the individually packaged ones so I might just get a small bottle of visine? Also need to add some Asprin, or is the Ibu/Tylenol good enough?

Thanks for the input.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:06 pm 

About latex and whatnot. I prefer latex when I work. Nitrile just blows balls. I cannot feel the landmarks I need and I dont get that nice tight fit that latex gives me that nitrile doesn't do. Its a personal choice of latex vs nitrile.

And Yes latex does break down in heat and with various other chemicals. I will still wear it though.

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:
'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......

I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:

He's crotchety enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

You'd definately want to add some kerlix or primed gauze to your kit.

How does the coban hold up in wet enviroments?

First-Aid primer and medical disclaimer

"Trust me, I'm a Medic. This won't hurt.... Me. You, I'm not so sure - probably a lot..''

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:00 pm 

AZMedic wrote:
About latex and whatnot. I prefer latex when I work. Nitrile just blows balls. I cannot feel the landmarks I need and I dont get that nice tight fit that latex gives me that nitrile doesn't do. Its a personal choice of latex vs nitrile.

And Yes latex does break down in heat and with various other chemicals. I will still wear it though.

Most hospitals around here (all?) have gone latex free, just an interesting anecdote. I don't think latex allergy is quite as widespread as some would have you believe, but there are a few on this board that believe it to be better safe than sorry. FWIW, I still have latex in my car kit, and it has held up so far.

As far as NSAID vs. Tylenol, they are normally regarded as being equally effective for pain not due to inflammation. Aspirin is similar in it's MOA to ibuprofen, so it kind of depends on what you want it for. You could argue the science of it, but in the end I would just use whatever works better for you. If you wanted to argue for the ibuprofen instead of aspirin, you could say it's better for little kids (not associated with Reye's Syndrome) or older people (possible drug interactions, bleeding), but that might be a stretch since it is going to be an acute, wilderness emergency setting.

That was too complicated: aspirin is small, add it if you like, but advil/tylenol should cover your pain and anti-inflammatory bases. I would think. I am sure somebody could argue that, though.

I actually never took aspirin (always used Tylenol/Advil) until recently, when I got ahold of some BC headache powder. That stuff nuked my headache. It was awesome.

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:08 am 

Updated the kit with some of the advice I've gotten so far, and posted lots of pictures!

What do you guys think about removing the sam splint to make room for more bandages, kerlix, etc? I'm kinda thinking of making a small trauma kit to keep separate that would include the sam splint, a tourniquet, etc. thoughts?

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:55 pm 

Kerlix, a combat bandage/ETD, sunscreen and insect repellant. Some larger waterproof band-aids might be called for.

You might trade the split, a roll of tape or a coban for space. Some of your tubes could be replaced with foil packets/wipes if needed.

----------------------

If you do a seperate trauma kit, I would make it an immediate needs gunshot/bleeder kit. Vacuum pack or zip lock it and keep it with your person. Splint wouldn't go into it. Tourniquet would go in along with an extra ETD. Its easy to put one together like the one below;

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/NAR_IPOK_p/30-1365.htm
Kit Contents:
2 x Black Talon® Nitrile Trauma Gloves (1 pr.)
1 x C-A-T® (Combat Application Tourniquet®)
1 x S-Rolled Gauze™
1 x ETD™ 4 in. Emergency Trauma Dressing

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:26 pm 

JT_of_JFF wrote:
sunscreen and insect repellent.

I carry 3oz tubes of both in my day pack, trying to designed the kit more around the after care not the prevention.

Yeah, thinking about swapping out the hydrocortizone, bacitracin & poison ivy spray (all the tube stuff) for foil packets of the same stuff... the only down side is it seems like you get less, yet end up with more trash. I've also been thinking about removing at least 1 coban roll in lieu of some kerlix. Also planning on adding/upgrading my band-aid/bandage load out.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:39 pm 

The Omega Man wrote:

What do you guys think about removing the sam splint to make room for more bandages, kerlix, etc?

A SAM comes in really handy. I would refrain from ditching it. If you are set on adding items, there is a lot in your kit I would get rid of before the splint.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:01 am 

I would hold onto the sam but you did state that this was like a wilderness kit. As long as you dont mind improvising you could use a tree brach or a bunch of newspaper.

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:
'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......

I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:

He's crotchety enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 am 
I was attacked by a honey badger

Great kit, but I want to mention. Hell freaking yes thank you for showing that insert for a pelican case, because I've been looking for something just like that! Not to hijack, but how was your ordering/shipping with them? (abfirstaid.com)

Leaving for school but I'll be back to comment on contents more. Sweet kit.

"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:39 am 

The Omega Man wrote:
Yeah, thinking about swapping out the hydrocortizone, bacitracin & poison ivy spray (all the tube stuff) for foil packets of the same stuff... the only down side is it seems like you get less, yet end up with more trash.

Its a compromise. More trash and expense but the unused portions stay fresher. Also allows you to 'hand out' or split up meds to different people or kits as necessary. I really like them for small kits and move them around as they get used.

Its not uncommon for me to have large tubes of sunscreen/repellant for regular use with some wipes as backup if the tube runs out or gets lost. Big tubes go into our pool/park/festival back pack with the water and snacks, but I keep backups handy in the FAK. The backups have saved us many times.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 am 

Tperkins wrote:
Great kit, but I want to mention. Hell freaking yes thank you for showing that insert for a pelican case, because I've been looking for something just like that! Not to hijack, but how was your ordering/shipping with them? (abfirstaid.com)

Leaving for school but I'll be back to comment on contents more. Sweet kit.

Thanks for the compliment, abfirstaid.com was awesome to deal with. I knew I wanted to put this all into a Pelican case and knew I needed a way to organize it, I totally stumbled upon them when googling if there was anything like this out there, the quality is really good and I'd definitely recommend ordering from them. They have a couple youtube videos if you search, they explain their kits a little in detail.

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:14 am 

JT_of_JFF wrote:
The Omega Man wrote:
Yeah, thinking about swapping out the hydrocortizone, bacitracin & poison ivy spray (all the tube stuff) for foil packets of the same stuff... the only down side is it seems like you get less, yet end up with more trash.

Its a compromise. More trash and expense but the unused portions stay fresher. Also allows you to 'hand out' or split up meds to different people or kits as necessary. I really like them for small kits and move them around as they get used.

I swapped out the hydrocortizone and bacitracin tubes in lieu of foil packets last night, made a big difference in how much nicer the case closed up. I also removed the Poison Ivy spray since I have the sting wipes in there (which are the same active ingredients).

JT_of_JFF wrote:
Big tubes go into our pool/park/festival back pack with the water and snacks, but I keep backups handy in the FAK. The backups have saved us many times.

Yeah, good call. /noted

PSK | IFAK | Daypack

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:31 pm 

That kit is an exceptionally good start, and has elicited some great advice.

Re gloves, I'd pack some nitrile ones regardless - you never know when you might have to treat someone with a latex allergy.

Also, take the advice about compressed gauze to heart - when you need it there can never be enough. At least when it's compressed it's not such a space-eater.

Interesting about the NAR IPOK - we've had some agencies call about it, but when it comes to examining their options they have all - without exception - opted to have us build slight variations of that kit per their own spec requirements. NAR is still a very good company but seem to have outgrown some of their flexibility. Bob C. is no longer the majority shareholder and the new ownership has taken them in a slightly different direction. C'est la vie I s'pose, but still... :cry:

Add/Edit: Omega Man, the WMI sticker really warms my heart - they're our oldest, and in many ways our best affiliation. Not to mention having trained everyone at Rescue Essentials to some degree or other. Gotta love 'em!

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:25 pm 

I only have two recommendations.

1. Sharp Scissors (Sharp/Sharp or Iris): For excising the loose skin from ruptured blisters or clearing up avulsions.
2. Safety Pins: Sometimes you need to poke or pin things; blisters, blood blisters, faces...

Security Guard/Wilderness First Aid/CPR for the Professional/HAM Technician

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:26 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

JT_of_JFF wrote:
Kit Contents:
1 x S-Rolled Gauze™

Are those so you don't have to take off a bullet proof vest to work someone?

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:41 pm 

Spiffums wrote:
JT_of_JFF wrote:
Kit Contents:
1 x S-Rolled Gauze™

...what?

"Remember when you were a kid and held your breath when you walked past the cemetery?...Just leave that man alone"

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:38 pm 

Spiffums wrote:
JT_of_JFF wrote:
Kit Contents:
1 x S-Rolled Gauze™

Its for immediate use to stop critical bleeding. Put it whereever you want, but it so you have something on your person instead of a full size trauma kit.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:46 pm 

KMAC179 wrote:
Spiffums wrote:
JT_of_JFF wrote:
Kit Contents:
1 x S-Rolled Gauze™

...what?

I think he means the Black Talon bullets.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:33 pm 

Pelican 1200 case on sale at REI, $46.99 (26% off)

http://www.rei.com/product/778223

"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:07 pm 

Tperkins wrote:

Careful with REI, I found out the hard way they don't always have the best deals. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is the same case (diff color) on Amazon for less: http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1200-Case ... =pd_cp_p_0

I found this out when I was going to buy a flashlight at their clearance sale. They were the same price on Amazon but with free shipping.

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 am 

Veritas wrote:
Tperkins wrote:

Careful with REI, I found out the hard way they don't always have the best deals. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is the same case (diff color) on Amazon for less: http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1200-Case ... =pd_cp_p_0

I found this out when I was going to buy a flashlight at their clearance sale. They were the same price on Amazon but with free shipping.

Right about REI Veritas. Those guys have pissed me off so badly... for their vendors they're a nightmare. They routinely claim bogus shortages, pay late and take early-pay discounts, invent myriad discounts for themselves after their order and create a whole host of other bookkeeping horrors. If they ever DO have a genuine good deal, somebody besides REI is footing the bill.