Chinese Swine Flu PSA

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

throwback

Chinese Swine Flu PSA

Post by throwback » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:16 pm

For lack of a better place to put it, (well, perhaps it's really Off-Topic) this is a video of the PSA that the Chinese government plays at all their airports. It features a rapping pig, and some rabbits that would probably be considered racist if an American animation company were to produce the PSA. It also has English captions. Let me know if you can't read them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwXYEcDmR4w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Disclaimer: *Throwbacks opinions are just his opinions. They are based on the best facts he has to hand, and sometimes in spite of them. It is possible for two intelligent people to disagree, and sometimes both of them are right.*

SweetTea
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD

Re: Chinese Swine Flu PSA

Post by SweetTea » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:54 pm

That's pretty cute, and informative. Does anyone know if there's valid evidence to support opening your windows to prevent flu? It sounds like wholistic pre-scientific vital energy stuff on first blush, but I don't know.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P

painiac

Post by painiac » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:39 pm

SweetTea wrote:Does anyone know if there's valid evidence to support opening your windows to prevent flu? It sounds like wholistic pre-scientific vital energy stuff on first blush, but I don't know.
Eh... I guess it sorta rings in as somewhat plausible. The reason cold and flu increases in the colder months is because people are together in buildings more rather than outside, and the closer contact results in viruses being passed around.

Very few microbes are actually capable of being suspended in the air, though. Tuberculosis and chicken pox, and that's about it. Flu and cold are transmitted in droplets that are flung when people cough or sneeze. Every surface within about 10 feet of such a person can harbor the virus for a time (before it dies outside the welcoming environment of the body). Fresh air doesn't actually prevent cold/flu: being away from people does! Washing your hands will do more to prevent viral transmission than any amount of fresh air.

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:00 pm

painiac wrote:
SweetTea wrote:Does anyone know if there's valid evidence to support opening your windows to prevent flu? It sounds like wholistic pre-scientific vital energy stuff on first blush, but I don't know.
Eh... I guess it sorta rings in as somewhat plausible. The reason cold and flu increases in the colder months is because people are together in buildings more rather than outside, and the closer contact results in viruses being passed around.
I think probably getting circulating air might be the goal. What sprang to mind is that family units in many places in the world, like China, often consist of extended family, which can mean many people living in the same (usually small) space, without ventilation. So In that case I can see how you'd want to really avoid keeping shuttered. Getting circulating air is a simple practice introduced not very long ago as standard infection control (thank you, Florence Nightengale), but in 3rd world countries, not all the population may know simple things like that.

Apache

Post by Apache » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:15 pm

Ellie With An Axe wrote:I think probably getting circulating air might be the goal. What sprang to mind is that family units in many places in the world, like China, often consist of extended family, which can mean many people living in the same (usually small) space, without ventilation. So In that case I can see how you'd want to really avoid keeping shuttered. Getting circulating air is a simple practice introduced not very long ago as standard infection control (thank you, Florence Nightengale), but in 3rd world countries, not all the population may know simple things like that.
painiac has it spot on. The vast majority of colds and flu are spread from direct contact (door handles, telephones, lift buttons)! Everyone assumes it's airborne but it isn't especially.

IMO - opening the window more likely to give a false sense of security, as do surgical masks!
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

Ellie With An Axe

Post by Ellie With An Axe » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:45 pm

Apache wrote:IMO - opening the window more likely to give a false sense of security, as do surgical masks!
In your opinion? It's your opinion that stagnating air in an overpacked apartment where people are sick is acceptable? I guess I'll just say 'wtf' and go away from this thread.

To the OP, forgot to say in my last post that he PSA was cute, though. :)

Return to “First Aid”