Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Discussions of the best (or worst) equipment to have on hand for use in the event of an injury during an emergency.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Apache
* * *
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: North Yorkshire (England)

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by Apache » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:42 pm

miles wrote:When I was in the Navy the same thing happened to a buddy of mine. He jumped down off a gun mount and his class ring got hung up. His finger was stripped to the bone and he ended up losing it.
What is a 'class ring'? Something to do with regiment or rank in the army? I ask mainly due to the line in the Katy Perry song 'Waking up in Vegas'. I am in the UK.
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

LowKey
* * * * *
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)
Location: In the Middle East, for my sins.

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by LowKey » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:49 pm

It's been traditional for the members of a high school or college graduating class to purchase a ring with the emblem of the school and they year of graduation on it. They tend to be large clunky rings with a single semi precious stone. Image
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Apache
* * *
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:01 pm
Location: North Yorkshire (England)

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by Apache » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks Lowkey :D

Sorry to go o/t¬
crypto wrote:So, yeah, well be fucked when theres no more antibiotics, but so will all the old people without boners.

LowKey
* * * * *
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)
Location: In the Middle East, for my sins.

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by LowKey » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:42 am

It wasn't off topic. I'd wager that between wedding rings and class rings (Highschool, Tech School, and College/Academy) it accounts for well over 70% of finger deglovings.

Rings are not your friend around machinery, wielding or electrical work*, or other snag hazards.







*Ever seen an electrical burn conducted through a ring? :shock:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
SweetTea
* * * *
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:21 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by SweetTea » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:58 pm

LowKey wrote: *Ever seen an electrical burn conducted through a ring? :shock:
My dad was doing electrical work on a car and had his left hand (with wedding ring) on the outside fender for support while the right hand goofed around with wires. He accidentally brushed one of the wires up on the inside of the fender and got a momentary shock. He says the two metals fused a little and he had to snap the ring off of the fender to free his hand.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P
Image

User avatar
Copperhead
* *
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:05 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by Copperhead » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:06 pm

And on that note... no rings. Ever. Especially not on my dominant hand.

Also... What is the story on that foot? did someone spin their tires over his bare foot?

EDIT: Also, re: not cauterizing with hot metal. I assume this applies to the whole "hot iron on wound" type work. This would char the flesh, obviously not healthy. I further assume that surgical cauterization is beyond the scope of this board.
Is it just one of those ideas that hangs around because nobody hears to horror stories to make them shop telling it?
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - R.A.Heinlein

User avatar
SweetTea
* * * *
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:21 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by SweetTea » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Copperhead wrote: EDIT: Also, re: not cauterizing with hot metal. I assume this applies to the whole "hot iron on wound" type work. This would char the flesh, obviously not healthy. I further assume that surgical cauterization is beyond the scope of this board.
Is it just one of those ideas that hangs around because nobody hears to horror stories to make them shop telling it?
This is totally made up and purely theoretical, but surgical electrocautery tools are pretty much like really thin-tipped soldering irons. That allows them to focus and burn only the stuff that needs to be burned without scorching the whole thing. In theory, if you had to you could use a fine soldering iron to similar effect. Just find the source of the bleeding and apply until it stops bleeding. This only works well for small bleeders, large vessels (like the main ones that supply your finger) would need a quick suture or two.

Off topic, talking about cauterization always makes the smell of burned tissue come back to me. It's one of those smells you can never forget, like GI bleed or DKA fruity nail polish remover breath.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P
Image

User avatar
Veritas
* * * *
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:21 am

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by Veritas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:12 am

SweetTea wrote:Off topic, talking about cauterization always makes the smell of burned tissue come back to me. It's one of those smells you can never forget, like GI bleed or DKA fruity nail polish remover breath.
Agreed.

What about C. diff - I swear you can smell that a mile away. And if by GI bleed, you mean the resultant melena, then I agree twice.

I am pretty sure the only reason the whole "using a hot iron to cauterize a wound" thing is just hollywood stuff that is perpetuated by "self-proclaimed" bad-asses. I have used a "cauterizer/hyfercator/whatever-you-call-it" on skin lesions, and it is not really for something you want to grow back. I am not sure how the surgical cauterizing knives work, but they don't really leave a burned area, because like SweetTea said, they are very concentrated.
Veritas liberabit vos

FAK | IFAK || BOB | GHB

LowKey
* * * * *
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)
Location: In the Middle East, for my sins.

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by LowKey » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:28 am

SweetTea wrote:
Copperhead wrote: EDIT: Also, re: not cauterizing with hot metal. I assume this applies to the whole "hot iron on wound" type work. This would char the flesh, obviously not healthy. I further assume that surgical cauterization is beyond the scope of this board.
Is it just one of those ideas that hangs around because nobody hears to horror stories to make them shop telling it?
This is totally made up and purely theoretical, but surgical electrocautery tools are pretty much like really thin-tipped soldering irons. That allows them to focus and burn only the stuff that needs to be burned without scorching the whole thing. In theory, if you had to you could use a fine soldering iron to similar effect. Just find the source of the bleeding and apply until it stops bleeding. This only works well for small bleeders, large vessels (like the main ones that supply your finger) would need a quick suture or two.

Off topic, talking about cauterization always makes the smell of burned tissue come back to me. It's one of those smells you can never forget, like GI bleed or DKA fruity nail polish remover breath.

I've smelled my own flesh being cauterized (they were using one of those little electric "bic marker" looking things. Sorry I didn't get a good look, they were working on my head with it at the time :wink: , but I do recall the first thing the smell brought to mind was scorched BBQ. I even asked them where the BBQ sauce was.
Image
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
SweetTea
* * * *
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:21 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I kick it old school: NOtLD
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by SweetTea » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 pm

One of the ER attendings that I round with sometimes used one of those pen-style electrocauteries to drain a bruise that was pooled under one of his toenails (ungual hematoma) from when he dropped something on his foot. Burned right through the nail and released the pressure.

This is the same doc that reduced his own finger dislocation when he tripped down the stairs in his house because it was his left ring finger and he didn't want EMTs to cut his ring off.
amd2800barton wrote:
LakotaJones wrote:Holy shit. I always thought Sweet Tea was a girl...
actually so did I. Didn't want to be the first one to say anything :P
Image

LowKey
* * * * *
Posts: 4648
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)
Location: In the Middle East, for my sins.

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by LowKey » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:19 am

Also bumped 'cause I was feeling nolstalgic :clownshoes: and I thought it might make a good read for some newcomers to FA. Ditto ditto...
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
wolf_from_wv
* * *
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:54 pm
Location: North Central West Virginia

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by wolf_from_wv » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:37 pm

A few years ago, the cable tie-out wrapped around my dog's leg as he was running through the yard. Momentum resulted in his foot being skinned. Bone, muscle, veins were exposed. I immediately wrapped my fingers around his leg to try to slow the bleeding. When we were finally able to to get him to the vet, amputation was the only solution. He had lost a lot of blood, so we decided on euthanasia.
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

User avatar
ptAltered
* *
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by ptAltered » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:47 pm

JTNieman wrote:
Apache wrote:
jtnieman wrote:
Erik wrote:Degloved? You mean like this?

...

Have a nice day. :D

Was that seriously necessary? :roll:
grow up. If you can't look at the picture how are you going to be with the real thing?
It's different when it happens in real life, then it is when you're just reading along, thinking about gauze and band-aids, and then -BAM- instant gore. It's obvious the dude did it for no reason other than to cause a reaction, not because it was helpful or beneficial to the thread. It was just a shock tactic. Immature.

Deglovings in the world are pretty shocking situations. I've never been excited over gore and that's why, when I'm on the scene of some serious trauma, I can be calm and do what's necessary.

How do you manage to walk through the meat department of your local supermarket?
"Attention Criminals; due to the rising costs of ammunition all warning shots will be fired into your chest and face!"

User avatar
duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 2951
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by duodecima » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:52 pm

SweetTea wrote:One of the ER attendings that I round with sometimes used one of those pen-style electrocauteries to drain a bruise that was pooled under one of his toenails (ungual hematoma) from when he dropped something on his foot. Burned right through the nail and released the pressure.
Or a bic and a paperlip, for those of us who work in places that don't have the electrocautery pens. Works like a charm.

Wolf, sorry to hear about your dog.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

User avatar
Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4936
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 am
Location: The Mythical State of Jefferson

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by Dogan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Only ever seen one degloving injury. Two M80s strapped together detonated just at the end of someone throwing them. I imagine that pulling a hotdog sideways off a toothpick is an accurate description. He only wound up losing one and a half fingers.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

User avatar
ptAltered
* *
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by ptAltered » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:48 pm

I would never recommend cauterizing a wound!!!

A burn is a much more serious injury than a laceration. A laceration is flowing blood and washing potential contaminants from the wound while a burn creates more opportunities for infection to take root.

I can't find any literature that encourages the use of in-field cauterization as a substitute for definitive care, but I'd be happy to read any sources anyone else might have.
"Attention Criminals; due to the rising costs of ammunition all warning shots will be fired into your chest and face!"

HK45Tac
* *
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Toeson, MD

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by HK45Tac » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 am

That's why I don't wear rings, not even my wedding ring. Neil Armstrong hooked his ring years ago departing a train.

User avatar
wolf_from_wv
* * *
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:54 pm
Location: North Central West Virginia

Re: Degloving.....we're not talking about mittens here!

Post by wolf_from_wv » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Veritas wrote:
SweetTea wrote:I am pretty sure the only reason the whole "using a hot iron to cauterize a wound" thing is just hollywood stuff that is perpetuated by "self-proclaimed" bad-asses. I have used a "cauterizer/hyfercator/whatever-you-call-it" on skin lesions, and it is not really for something you want to grow back. I am not sure how the surgical cauterizing knives work, but they don't really leave a burned area, because like SweetTea said, they are very concentrated.
Like cutting a notch in the arrow, placing gunpowder on it, lighting it, and pulling it on through? (Two mules for Sister Sara)
Strength Of My Life, whom shall I dread?
When them evildoers approach to devour my flesh.
Even if there would be an army against me,
My heart would not fear.
-P.O.D.

Post Reply

Return to “First Aid”